OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What scope?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What scope?
    Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:38
I have a 25-06 I just ordered. I have 200.00 to spend on a scope. Open to any brand. Thanks Guys
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:44
This gonna be a paper puncher? Varmint gun?  What ranges will you be shooting?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:45
Hard to beat the Vortex Viper 2-7x right now for under $200.  They have pretty nice glass and are great quality.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:49
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Hard to beat the Vortex Viper 2-7x right now for under $200.  They have pretty nice glass and are great quality.

+1.  There's nothing with anywhere near the value of the Viper at that pricepoint.

Lots of folks seem pleased with the "new" Redfields, for a couple bucks less, but they're not in the same league, glass-wise, with the Vortex.

Of course, if you're insisting on 14x magnification, or want a fixed X, or it has to weight < _____ oz., then the recommendations will probably change.

FC
bsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:54
Will be used for whitetail
bsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 09:57

Bushnell 6-18x50 Trophy XLT Rifle Scope what about this one? I know its 225

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:06
What ranges will you be shooting at?  The 2-7 Viper mentioned earlier would be far better optically and mechanically than the banner.  Can you live with the lower magnification?
bsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:27
I would like to have a 40, i saw the vortex was a 32. The power really dont matter
bsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:59

Vortex 3.5-10x50 Diamondback Rifle Scope?

magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:07
Originally posted by bsmith bsmith wrote:

Vortex 3.5-10x50 Diamondback Rifle Scope?

+1 but my personal choice would be the Vortex Diamondback 4x12x40 at that price range.  My personal .25-06 wears a Vortex 4x12x40 Viper.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:24
Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Discontinued closeout price
  • 35% OFF
$169.95 
I put one of these on a .243 and it is a fine choice for a hunting rifle. It is a nice compact size scope which carries nicely. 32 mm divided by 7 power gives you a 4.5 mm exit eye pupil and while 7mm is bright 4.5 is quite useable in low light which means you can actually dial the power up to 7 power and be able to use the balistic reticle where with a higher power scope you might not be able to have a bright enough image to use the balistic reticle which has to be used at the maximum power of the scope to be true.  Center of the crosshair 100 yds next dot down 200 next dot 300 next dot 400 test it on the range to see how your ammo performs but if you are always two low at 400 you will have a mark to go by.  This is a very fine choice of scope for hunting.  The field of view is significantly wider at 2 power than it is at 3 power also.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 11:48

These are on sale right now for $199.95, have the BDC reticle, which works with the "SPOT ON" (for PC or smartphone) application so you can tweak holdovers based on atmospheric conditions.

Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 12:08
Does the Vortex Viper 2-7x with Versa-Plex C3 have any hold over utility?
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 12:20

One other question does point of impact change with different magnifications? I have read somewhere somebody saying POI changed from 3x to 7x. They were not talking about the Viper but is that common?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 12:21
A scope should not do that, if it does it should be replaced by company.  My 6.5-20x viper does not have a POI change.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 12:24
Smiley, they were likely referring to the bdc drops changing due to it being SFP. The subtensions of the holdover points will change with magnification. The center crosshairs should not shift due to changes in magnification.
-Matt
bsmith View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 13:48
Originally posted by Palehorse Palehorse wrote:

These are on sale right now for $199.95, have the BDC reticle, which works with the "SPOT ON" (for PC or smartphone) application so you can tweak holdovers based on atmospheric conditions.

this looks like a good deal. I have had the nikon monarch and really liked it very bright. Im not sure what the UCC is.
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 14:59
UCC - Ultra Clear Coat

Lense coatings on 2nd generation and newer Monarchs.  UCC models retain the 3 factor zoom of the 2nd Generation, which puts them at a lower price point than the 4 factor Monarchs.  Nikon features a UCC model or two each sales year.

Edited by Palehorse - December/02/2010 at 15:00
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 19:21
Originally posted by bsmith bsmith wrote:

I have a 25-06 I just ordered. I have 200.00 to spend on a scope. Open to any brand. Thanks Guys

Without a moment's hesitation, I would get a 4-16X Tasco.  I you get a chance compare some others with it.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 19:29
Tasco is complete and utter garbage, don't pay any attention to the above recommendation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic