OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help with a decision.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with a decision.
    Posted: November/30/2010 at 23:16
I have a friend whom i hunt with who is struggling with a decision on a new medium power scope for low light performance. He seems to be hung between the Zeiss Victory 2.5x10x42 and the Swaro PH in the same configuration. I gave a good plug for the Swaro because i own one. I cannot speak for the Zeiss because i Dont own one of them although i told him i would be as good or better on low light. Can anyone that Maby own or have evaluated both comment on your overall assessment. I told him it was a wash in the to end scopes and that their all very close but he seems to be determined to make the best choice. Cant blame him. You guys helped me out alot on my purchases so if anyone can compare both at dark all info is appreciated. He has narrowed it to these two only.  
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 18:48
cant believe no one on here could chime in. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 19:08
Sorry weve been Christmas shopping.  When you are comparing those two scopes the truth is there is NO WRONG ANSWER.  They are both great scopes. This is one of those personal preference things and Swarovski is the absolute top of the line glass but I tend to think their reticle is a tad thin for my taste and I prefer the Zeiss but like I said the Swarovski is an awesome scope and there are a lot of guys here who would definately pick it.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 20:20
jgm1981,

Recently I have been looking at different high magnification scopes.  None are in the same weight class as the Swarovski.  I don't know how the lower mag scopes are for weight, but if weight is a factor you should definatley look at that.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 20:37
Zeiss or Swaro, Oh the horror, what to do, what  to do!   Flip a coin.   you can't lose!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 20:44
ya i bought had him sold on the Swaro, but promised i would consult the oracle/OTF ha. Urimaginaryfrnd, i was under the impression that Swaro was a tab behind Zeiss at least until you reached the FL scopes.  
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 23:53
i am curious about something else. i personally shoot a 257 wby mark v and most of my shots fall within 200 yards and under. Would a 1.25x6x42 power scope be to low of magnification on that particular rifle. its a long range gun i know. ive made 400 plus yard shots with it. that just seems like an interesting configuration and just wont a little input on weather it seems practical or not    
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 23:57
A scope of that configuration is certainly capable of 200-400 yard shots.  One advantage of a fast cartridge like the quarter-bore Weatherby is a flat trajectory.  You don't need a high-power scope to take advantage of that.

That configuration is also useful in fast developing shooting situations and low light (big exit pupil).

Practical?  Yes.
-Matt
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 07:22
I think the Zeiss is a tad brighter in low light but I think the Swaro's are tougher and hold zero better if bumped around ! I have nocked a swaro really bad and it stayed on zero a couple of different times. My Zeiss Diavari and my buddy's 3 or 4 all will have to be re-zero'd with any kind of moderate fall, bump,etc.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 07:27
I would say thats more of a mount issue than a scope issue CBM. 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 07:59
Originally posted by jgm1981 jgm1981 wrote:

i am curious about something else. i personally shoot a 257 wby mark v and most of my shots fall within 200 yards and under. Would a 1.25x6x42 power scope be to low of magnification on that particular rifle. its a long range gun i know. ive made 400 plus yard shots with it. that just seems like an interesting configuration and just wont a little input on weather it seems practical or not    
When it comes to optics selection practical is based solely on how the equipment is used. The .257 Wby is an awesome cartridge but if your use of that particular rifle is for stalking and your shots are mostly under 200 yds with occasional shots out to 400 I see no reason why the 1.25-6x42 would not be a great choice.  I really like a 6x42 scope due to the bright 7mm exit eye pupil which gives it maximum brightness in low light in a scope that is not so large as to become awkward.  I find a 42mm objective to be very user friendly and provide good cheek weld with most rifles.   Where I find a higher power scope particularly useful though is when I hunt from a fixed position with a good rest and have the time to use high power to evaluate particular animals to determine which ones I dont want to shoot.  This could also be done by carrying a spotting scope along if one used a lower power optic on the rifle so you can definately work out any concern that it might not be enough power for a stand by adding a spotting scope.  I dont think there is a concern  that you would not be able to strike a target at 400 so much as a concern that if you were in a blind or ladder stand and had several deer come out at 400 yds in antlerless season and were not able to tell that what looked like a large doe was actually a small 4 point.  I've had it happen where I was using a 10x at 600 yds and my son was using a 25x and able to see the horns when I wasnt. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 08:17
Could be ?

I had Leupold standard  mounts on both of my guns and my buddy has on all of his I believe. Could be a gun to gun thing but I know we sight his guns in a lot .........all Diavari 3-12x56s. If he leans one on the golf cart and it slides over........re-sight. If he bumps one on the shooting house climbing in......re-sight. Every year at the beginning of the year...........re-sight for whatever reason.

I sighted my Swaro PV 3-12x50 in one time. I sat it on a 2x4 in a shooting house one time and it slipped off and hit dead on the eye piece and fell on the floor .................stayed zero'd. I leaned it on the railing on my porch and it slid and fell on my porch hard and stayed zero'd. I never had to sight the gun in again.

My Zeiss 3-9x42 Diavari slid out of my truck when I opened my passenger door and hit the windage turret on the way down and broke the plastic turret cap. I caught the gun but it had hit pretty good..............shot it and it was off a good bit..........re-sighted.

Just my experience but I am by no means an expert or know half of what most on here do. I am just a layman giving "my" real world experiences.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 08:22
Maybe.  I've not had my conquest on my 308 long but i've beat it like a mual since I've had it and it still holds true.  It rode in the floor of a boat for miles and miles down a rough river just laying on the boat in no case or nothing, it was still on when i shot next.
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 10:39
I think you would be able to find a Swaro for less $$ than the Diavari as the PHs have been discontinued.  Can't speak about the Zeiss, but I like my Swaros a lot and for the price now, you won't find a better deal on Euro glass.  Just be sure to look around.  There are lots out there.  Their customer service is very good as well.

Just my 0.02...
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 20:36
not to fan the fire but i have a friend who uses an older Conquest on his T/C 300 win mag. He has to rezero the scope multiple time during the year. Now hes not abusing the optics by any means but it lays in the truck seat just like my Leupold or Swaro and ride the occasional boat ride to core land. Thing will not hold a zero after a few shots. I told him to send it back to Zeiss but he says he bought it in a pawnshop and the warranty probably wouldn't cover it. Although i think they would. He uses Leupold dual dovetail mounts and the scope was professionally installed. That being said its A Much better low light scope than my vx iii, but not quite up to par with my Swaro. Their fine scopes, and im sure theres one of every brand somewhere with this problem. Quick question?? lets say he may have bottomed out the adjustment at some point in time. would this cause him problems?? not saying he has just a question. I bottomed out an old weaver micro track 15x42 one time and like to never got that scope back right. Zeiss very nice scopes though. hunters around here for years contested that the conquest was nothing more than a cheap scope quality wise with great glass. Now we know thats not true but ppl are always gonna form their opinions. I wouldnt mind having a 4x32 Conquest for my CZ      
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 20:46
 Sounds like a mount issue.

If he switches mounting systems, and still has the problem, have him send it in ... it should be covered.
-Matt
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2010 at 21:47
me personally, i think the scope was in the pawn shop for a reason. I did buy an old vari x2c 4x12x40 in a awn shop one time for 200$ and it still hold zero well on my 22 250 IMP. Not the best option for low light performance, but complements my gun well for target fun
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic