OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex parallax change?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex parallax change?
    Posted: November/29/2010 at 12:19
Does anyone know if Vortex will do parallax changes on their scopes?
I'm contemplating a Diamondback 2-7x 35mm rimfire model for a bolt action .22,but for the same money I can get a clearanced 2-7x 32mm Viper with better turrets and glass.
If it's a small nominal fee, I'd rather have the Viper on my .22.

Also, has anyone noticed that the Diamondbacks appear to have nearly identical turrets to the Nikon Buckmasters low profile turrets? The ones I've seen look just like my 4.5-14x Buckmaster (which repeats and tracks very well).

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 12:24
I would give Vortex a call for that answer. 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 12:38
are you talking about if they come with it or if it can be added on later?  when new, some have it some don't.  looking at the diamondback line, the only one i see with AO is the 4-12x40 AO model.  Out of the viper line, the only ones i see with the PA prefix are the 4-12 and 6.5-20 models. 
not sure if they are referring to adjustable objective and parallax adjustable as the same thing. 
I would definately just go with the viper... the price will not always be that low (unlike the diamondbacks). 
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 14:20
Nope- asking whether a fixed parallax scope can be adjusted to a different setting on the stock models.
For example, the Diamondback comes with both a 2-7x 35mm with 100yd parallax set, and also with 50yd parallax (the rimfire model). I'm curious if they'll adjust a stock 100yd adjusted Viper to match the 50yd parallax of the Diamondback rimfire model.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 14:26
Not likely.  I don't think vortex has a service depot.  They have the scope built to their specs and just sell them.

Leupold can do that in their custom shop though.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 14:35
I would get a rimfire scope so the parallax is set right

I have 2 of the Weavers, a 2-7 and a 3-9x33 with AO on CZs
great little scopes

in all honesty, the AO model is overkill and I I should have saved some $ and just got 2 of the 2-7s
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 15:53
Per a Julie in their service group, Vortex confirmed that they can't adjust parallax.

So the Viper is out.

I'm upgrading from a Simmons 4x 32mm.
There Weaver 2-7 and the 3-9x AO are both options, but I'm not sure how their glass and adjustments are.
The Sightron S1 3-9x rimfire model and the good old Nikon 4x 32mm ProStaff are some of the others on the option list.

I'm guessing the Diamondback rimfire model is superior to all of these, with the possible exception of the 3-9x AO Weaver?
Any comments from those who have owned them are welcome!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 15:58
SWFA SS 6x has parallax adjustment down to 10 yards.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 17:04
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

I would get a rimfire scope so the parallax is set right

I have 2 of the Weavers, a 2-7 and a 3-9x33 with AO on CZs
great little scopes

in all honesty, the AO model is overkill and I I should have saved some $ and just got 2 of the 2-7s

How are the glass and adjustments on those Weavers?
Can you compare them to anything else?

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 06:24
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

SWFA SS 6x has parallax adjustment down to 10 yards.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-6x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P47326.aspx

yes, but it weighs a ton...
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 07:19
I don't think the Viper with a parallax setting of 100 yards would be much of a problem on the .22.  
-Matt
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 18:53
It would give a max parallax error of about 12.5mm at 25yds, just under 1/2",and slightly more in close.
It doesn't sound like a lot, but it's enough to miss a squirrel head.

I'm torn whether I should go with features (such as the Weaver 3-9x32AO RV9 model), or go with better glass (Viper or Diamondback 2-7x).

Then again, I might just say 'f-it' and get a Nikon Prostaff rimfire classic 4x32. Not the best glass, not the best adjustments, but at $90, it's still twice as good as the Simmons I have on there now.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 15:02
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I don't think the Viper with a parallax setting of 100 yards would be much of a problem on the .22.  

Can anyone who owns a 2-7x Viper comment on reticle focus under 25yds? Can the Viper stay focused that close in?
Even if parallax isn't considered, sometimes focus on centerfire scopes isn't quite correct at high powers and close ranges.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic