OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

a few compared

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a few compared
    Posted: November/28/2010 at 18:03
Today I went to the range to verify the sighting with the .375-.416 Rem.  I took the 4 1/2-30X50 off the .257 Weatherby 'cause the rifle is now for sale (too heavy).  Also I wanted to do the same with the .454 which has a 2 1/2-8X32 Leupold second generation.  The first one broke after about 300 rounds.  This one has lasted more than twice as long.

After firing the rifle at 100 yards I decided to look for the holes with the Leica 1200, the Vortex Raptor, the Leupold and the Bushnell.  I started with the Leica which has a 7X21 glass.  I could make out the holes without a lot of searching.  Then I brought out the Raptors with its 6 1/2X32 glass.  Instantly I thought it was better then realized it was just a lot brighter.  I then concentrated on the holes.  I knew where to look so I could see them.  Definately not as easily identified as with the Leica glass.

I looked at the holes with the Bushnell on 4 1/2X and could clearly see the holes better than with either of the other two.  Lastly I brought out the Leupold.  I could not see the holes at all on 4X but could almost see them on 4 1/2X.  When turned up to 5X they were as good as the Leica dispite the 2X difference.  The Raptor is noticably brighter than the Leupold.  Like someone once said, "A bright blur is still a blur."

This was a fun little excersize.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 07:20
A fun exercise for you a pointless post as well being your blind and have no valuable insight to anyone needing to know "TRUTHFUL" and relavant information......

"Hey ya fella's lets go compare some binos to some scopes and see what we can figure out" - FAIL!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 07:51
Rich, I think most of us understand that you are trying to make a contribution to the site and offer advise from your experiences, but when you roll range finders, scopes and binoculars all into the same group it really is not very useful. 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 07:52

Its also a total contridiction!

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 08:22
Graham, do you need a hug? Yippee
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 08:27
NO I need folks that are not qualified to not write crap or to admit they are blind in their postings and make sure they don't post garbage without a disclaimer because that will help  the un-informed passerbyers who could read and construe it as relavant information know not to go by what this guy post.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 09:15
right now all im good for is crapBucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 09:56
I don't know about the relevance a range finder has to rifles scopes and binos. But, on many occasions I have mentioned here at O.T. why I started using alpha class scopes. I simply could not see in my mid-range scopes what I was seeing in my Zeiss 7x42 binoculars. It cost me the buck of a lifetime.
Doug
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:08
But Doug a scope is a just a sighting tool.  You are suppose to find the nice animal with your binocs and then just assume with your scope.  Wink  That logic is especially true with the Leupold fanatics. 

I am right there with you Doug, I will never understand that logic.

Oh and back on topic.  Another one straight from the horses mouth it appears

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:10
not mouth, horses ASS
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:12
The shot was in low light from one edge of a cedar swamp and across a marsh to another cedar stand 300 yds. away. Zeiss worked, Fullfield didn't. But I digress.......Bandito
Doug
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:17
I cannot wait til the hunts this year to use my new Z6.  I will probably end up using it to look for deer/elk instead of my Meoptas.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:24
Off I go again, and I haven't checked out a Z6. But my brother, coyote95, has an R1 that is excellent with the 4A.
I hope to check out a Z6 some day. I have several Kahles C models and the ability to use them in low light and all the different cover I hunt in is outstanding.
I'll get out of this one before I stray further form the original intent of the post........which was? Well I got the binocular/scope part anyway.
Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:26
some day i want a zeiss victory.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:31
Hey doug there is a used Kahles on teh SL for a good price.  just in case you need anotherWink
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:51
I saw them, but I would like to get into some Zeiss, Swaro or S&B.
I'll be parting with some scopes in the near future to do this.
Doug
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 10:59
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

not mouth, horses ASS

That's a BIG ass G
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 00:25
I like to hunt binoculars...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:14
I heard you can't get a .458 bullet to pass through them cleanly.... maybe you news to step up to a real gun.....

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 07:24
Big Grin  dont intigate him Trigger, KB needs no more reasons to get a 20mm!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic