OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

dad saw the light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dad saw the light
    Posted: November/26/2010 at 20:43
took my dad out hunting last week and was watching a field at last light..
saw some deer come out about 20 minutes after sundown at 300 yards..

We were watching them and he commented on how well the Nikon Monarch Binos worked (8.5x56) and that he was barely able to see them in his scope (Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42)

I handed him my rifle and told him to check my scope out on my 308, a Kahles CL 3-10x50
He immediately said how much brighter and bigger the view was than his scope.
I took his rifle and sure enough, the Monarch ( a good scope ) was like looking through a dim straw

I hadn't made the comparison in a few years but it absolutely made a believer out of him..
My brother hunts with a VX3 3-9x40 and is always done on evening hunts before me!

My dad told him that it definitely gave me an extra 15 minutes of hunting over his scope...

I watched the biggest buck I have ever seen at 275 yards with the crosshairs on him with my dad trying to talk me off the ledge as it was windy and dark thirty.. and if it didn't drop, it would be hell to find...   man, that was a TOUGH call to let it go, but it was probably the right call even though I am confident I had the shot...  It was invisible to the naked eye but I clearly had the center of the crosshairs on it..

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 20:54
Now you have to watch out or your Kahles will go missing. "Oh yeah, I was so impressed with yours I got one just like it. Sure a bum deal that someone ripped yours off just a few days later."

Sounds like you made the right call, given the time and the wind. I hope you have another chance to get out and spot him.
Reaction time is a factor...
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 20:56
i didnt know leupold made a 3x9x40 in the vx3 line.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:04
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i didnt know leupold made a 3x9x40 in the vx3 line.

might have the exact model wrong..

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:05
more likely a vx2
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:19
Really wish kahles would make a comeback to the states.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:39
But they did come back.

Thank you Gamo USA!

http://swfa.com/Kahles-Riflescopes-C3168.aspx
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:39
Great story.This is exactly the point of buying great glass.For the average guy[that's me],forget most of the hype & tech jargon & just try out the alpha glass Excellent 
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 22:36
meant to say, earlier this week

he's a lifelong hunter, he got it, instantly
also did a ton of varmint hunting a long time ago at night

as he mentioned to my brother "no comparison"

again, during the daylight, they all look good
and since we are on a "trophy" lease where I may have 1 shot at my big buck and it's likely to be at last light, and you need to be able to judge quickly on multiple moving bucks, it really becomes evident the "need" for great glass

also evident is that I don't need illuminated reticle because I can place the shot past legal hunting time without it...  now, on hogs AT night, and since they are so often black, then yeah, need the contrast of the ill reticle dot to precisely place the shot.   I am not on eradication hunts where I don't care if drop them or not..

and yes, Kahles is back in the US, I have a CSX 1.5-6 I am testing right now

Edited by ccoker - November/26/2010 at 22:37

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 11:06
Whew, they sure have a high opinion of themselves. Back when I was considering a multi-zero I don't recall them being anywhere near that.
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 18:41
well, the CSX are all illuminated...

Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 20:52
..just curious...how does a Zeiss Conquest stack up to the Kahles? I know the Kahles START at double the price I believe--Bboy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 21:40
I got my Kahles CL a few years ago when they could be had for a smoking deal, I think I paid around 700, it's non illuminated...

It's better glass than the Conquest, how much better is hard to quantify

I do believe you get into a point of diminishing returns once you get to a certain level and the Conquests are damned good scopes

Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 10:55

I know what you mean I have a Kahles 3-9x42mm with Multizero. I paid about $700.00 for it which is a lot of money to me but was worth every penny Plus some. I have guys at the hunting camp ask to look through my scope b/c somebody told them how good it is but in daylight they all look similar it’s that 30min. before and after sunset and rise but also if it’s just overcast or raining.

I also bought the Kahles CL 4-12x52mm with Multizero but where I hunt in Georgia I may have a 100yrd shot but most are within 50yrds. So, I haven’t mounted it to anything b/c its too nice of a scope for 30 to 50 yards. That scope is a 100-600yrd killing machine. The Multizero allows You to sight in at 200(or whatever you prefer) for the base. Then set a 300, 400, 500, 600 and that’s your load out of your gun the settings are based on. Not a ballistic program. So if you range something at 350 then I turn the top turret half way between the 300 and 400yrd and put the cross hairs dead on and you got him.

I agree with JonoMT know its $2500 to get into one with Multizero. WOW! Glad I got mine when I did. Although, I may sell the 4-12x52mm for something that’s starts with a 2x. Dang I wish I could hunt out West.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 10:58
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

But they did come back.

Thank you Gamo USA!

http://swfa.com/Kahles-Riflescopes-C3168.aspx

Oh Good!!!   Now they are only three times as much money!!!   Bucky    
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 13:21
I see the light all the time. I use a Zeiss Victory FL 7x42 and a Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 or 3-9x40 scope.
This season (November 16th?), 29 minutes and 30 seconds after sunset (well dark already) i saw this massive typical 16 pointer at 350 yards. My optics were good, my rifle is a 0.5MOA shooter, i am a decent shot, but i did not take the shot. He was moving slowly through brush, it was windy, i have no idea how much my bullets drop at that distance...
I'll hunt better next time and get closer. But boy, that buck probably would have made the state record.  

Edited by anweis - December/03/2010 at 13:25
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2010 at 10:35
For that money they should gut and drag the deer out for you too  lol, and then do the dishes after supper
Jeff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic