OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex PST

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex PST
    Posted: November/24/2010 at 19:29
really exited about this scope. I had been debating awhile on a good tactical scope for a savage 243. Almost bought a mark 4, before hearing some negative reviews. I have settled on the vortex but i do have a few concerns. Are these scope more in the NF, SI III, quality range or are they a tier down. They range from 600ish to 900ish on SWFA with the only dif according to the info is FFP.(4x16x50) really a 300 $$ for FFP. Completely lost on the reticles also. Really new to the TAC scene guess i can learn. Anyway found some nice high quality photos on a shooting site and the scope just looks awesome. Any owners chime in with some glass comparisons.    
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:05
Your not the only one wanting to know about the mystery PST ... they released some then held shipping the rest and made some changes.  Its a good sign they are fixing things and not shipping junk.  There are some reviews floating around from the first batch ... but the latest version we are all waiting on as well.  As for placing them in the pecking order?  We are all hoping for Nightforce quality at half price but I would guess they will land somewhere between Falcon Menace and Leupold Mark IV or Nightforce.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:33
Kinda what i was thinking too quality wise. Lots of guys on here are plum crazy about Vortex optics so i guess im gonna give one a try. Soon as their available 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:55
yeah the reviews on the early batch were on par of them having the same glass as the $400 line.. now i know people aren't gonna buy a $800 scope with $400 glass, so i'm sure they did too.  not that the $400 line is by any means bad, but maybe they thought it was passable.  im sure one of the major corrections that could be taking this long would be fixing this.  by all means vortex, please do :)
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 22:33
I have read numerous post praising the light gathering capabilities of the Vortex scopes. I have never held one to evaluate on my own but one would think they were really good by how ppl one here talk about them. Heck im wonting to buy one myself. Ha. I agree though i hoe they didn't follow the Leupold philosophy and put the same glass in their 500$$ scope as their 1300$$ scope!!! Guess thats why the VX 7 was discontinued. Why pay all that extra for Alumni Flip up covers and pop up turrets. Leup Really botched their attempt at the deep end of the pool. Ive used their scopes all my life and really enjoyed their service, but im attempting to change u my thinking and give other optics a chance. I hope this vortex (if i order it) does not disappoint. Im kinda in a rush and i dont wanna wait around 2months to get the darn thing.       
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 14:40
Keep in mind that what Vortex is attempting to offer with the PST is a scope with features you won't find on a typical hunting or target scope:

1. first focal plane reticle (4-16 and 6-24)
  2. matching target turrets and reticle
  3. zero-stop
  4. illumination
It also has side-parallax adjustment. So if they have to go with just-decent glass to keep the price where it's at, the scope will still be a worthwhile bridge between something like the SS 3-9X or Bushnell 4200 3-12 and the high-end stuff. As long as the scope is moderately durable AND holds zero/tracks well it will be a winner at that price point.
Reaction time is a factor...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 15:23
If the PSTs have similar optical performance to the standard vipers, they should still be worth the cash given the features Jon listed above.

It would be nice to see an obvious increase in performance with the PST line, but the standard vipers were not poor optical performers.
-Matt
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2010 at 23:45
Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

...We are all hoping for Nightforce quality at half price but I would guess they will land somewhere between Falcon Menace and Leupold Mark IV or Nightforce.

I'd guess closer to the Falcon Menace than a NF.  There just ain't no free rides in shooting; especially in optics.

Edited by Magnumdood - December/03/2010 at 23:47
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2010 at 03:50
I'd put the overall quality very much on par with the Leupold Mark IV's.  But they come with better features and without the giant markup.  It's hard not to like that.

The Falcon Menace is nowhere near in the same league.  
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2010 at 14:07
Jon A is one of the few who has actually had hands-on experience with the first PSTs.

Jon, I'm just curious about the PST zero-stop. From what I've seen (I think it was an online review posted on YouTube) it looked like a little bit of a pain. Have you used NF's zero-stop? If so, how would the PST compare? I got zero-stop added to my NF Compact NXS and that design is different (just one screw) from NF other zero-stop. I found it very easy to set.
Short Shot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 20:20
Just got my RRA  20" "Predator" out of hock. Been leaning towards the PST 2.5x10-44. I am confused on the previous replies. Is this scope available? I will have to save up for it....but in the meantime ...I need something to put on my AR. So...I was thinking about getting the 1x30 Strike Fire red dot. Reviews look very positive. What say you all? This is my first AR.
"Show me where the bullets go."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:00
no its not availible yet.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:14
Originally posted by Short Shot Short Shot wrote:

Just got my RRA  20" "Predator" out of hock. Been leaning towards the PST 2.5x10-44. I am confused on the previous replies. Is this scope available? I will have to save up for it....but in the meantime ...I need something to put on my AR. So...I was thinking about getting the 1x30 Strike Fire red dot. Reviews look very positive. What say you all? This is my first AR.

This scope is not available yet, but should be soon.

I hope to have a review on the 2.5-10x44 ready early in January.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:17
No problem, then. I still have to save up for it. Should have the money by the time it comes out. So in the meantime....what about the Strike Fire?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/07/2010 at 21:18
There will be a review up on the strikefire soon that i did comparing it and the SPARC.  I really like it for the price but I find the SPARC slightly better because its more versitle
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Short Shot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2010 at 20:53
Thanks.....hope to see the review soon. In the meantime....I guess I will chill,     Bubble Bath
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 15:42
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

Jon, I'm just curious about the PST zero-stop. From what I've seen (I think it was an online review posted on YouTube) it looked like a little bit of a pain.

It gets the job done.  I haven't used a NF with a zero stop, but compared with S&B, Premeir, etc, it's obviously not that nice.  Stopping the dial radially at the exact same spot every time and not having to worry about setting them, those are certainly a step up.

But the PST stop gets the biggest job it's there for--allowing you to positively find zero--done well.  And I do think that's important on a scope with a lot of travel and only 5 mils or 15 MOA per turn of the knob.  Setting it up only takes a couple of minutes and is pretty easy to do.

I feel it's a decent point in the PST's favor, especially when you consider none of the competition in that price range have anything at all.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2010 at 16:55
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

I feel it's a decent point in the PST's favor, especially when you consider none of the competition in that price range have anything at all.

It's a wonderful point in the PST's favor. Sounds good if it only takes a couple minutes. I don't have a need to really change zero since I have a load that I'm happy with and don't shoot anything else. If I did, I'd like the scope to have a tool-less zero like the Premier. It is super-convenient to set and less worry about stripping a little screw. To set the NF Compact NXS zero-stop, you remove the turret cap, loosen the zero-stop screw, turn the zero-stop CW until it stops, tighten it and replace the cap, which also has to be tightened. Not a bad process, but something I'm glad not to do much.

Edited by jonoMT - December/16/2010 at 16:55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic