OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Value for a 44MM or so scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Value for a 44MM or so scope
    Posted: November/24/2010 at 18:42
Ok...I've decided I've bought my last 3x9x40 scope for hunting.

I own Burris FFIIs, Leupold VXII, Simmons, Bushnell, Nikon Team Primos and an Intensity 4x12x44.

After deer hunting and looking through the rain last night with the Team Primos and coming home today and looking through the Intensity, I've got to say that I really don't like the small sight picture and think it's easier to get on a moving deer as well as perhaps draw in more light with the bigger objectives.  My brother won't buy less than a 50 but I've always thought that was tougher on the cheekweld and not sure I liked the look.  I know everyone says some of the above scopes are great and I like mine, but when I look through the Intensity I just feel like I can get on target that much faster and the sight picture is that much better.  For me, I think a 44 is pretty awesome...but I've got to go look through some more, but that's tough as most stores carry 40s or 50s and very few carry some of the better quality scopes like Zeiss.

I looked through my neighbor's Meopta and its a 56 and is exceptionally clear, bright and crisp (for $800 it should be).  The Team Primos is really clear and crisp, but just "feels" small to me when sighting in or trying to acquire a moving deer.  I'm actually leaning toward more and more not liking it...I'm having to make myself like it, but I still have that feeling that I'm not so sure that I really do.  Don't get me wrong, it is clear, but I highly doubt that 95% is any better than 92% for my eyes...I'm not so sure that it gives me anymore light than my old Simmons that was on there before I became a scope snob (yeah, a value minded scope snob...sort of like a WalMart Republican as my in-laws call me).Big Grin

I do know that I'm definitely buying a Zeiss model next (perhaps a Conquest in 3x9x40 after I can find one to look through) because I like the etched reticle and everything I read is fantastic.  I'm not sure I want to pay more than $400 for a scope...but willing to look at up to $600 max to put a scope on a new T/C Icon.

Any suggestions?  For folks that have the 44 or bigger objectives, let me know if they have made a difference in the field for you?  Maybe, for monetary reasons, I should look for a 3x9x50???

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 19:06
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down

Since you brought up $600 you could easily go to a 2 1/2-16X44 or 2 1/2-16X50 Bushnell 6500.  They have over forty feet field of view on the lowest setting.  On the highest you can see individual blades of grass at the 200 yard berm.

When I purchased mine I spent about an hour and a half on google.  I got it delivered for $512! I wish you much fun.
JeffO View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 23:46
The 3-9x40 Conquest is your best value for $400 IMHO.  I wouldn't sweat the 40mm objective.  I had a 3.5-10x44 Conquest at the same time as my first 3x9x40 Conquest and the 3-9 would do anything the 3.5-10 would do.

Another good value out there right now is the Swarovski AV series.  They are "last year's model" and are out there for around $800 for the 3-10x42mm model.  Very bright and clear.

Still though, the 3-9x40mm Conquest for $400 is the way to go if you want bright, clear, dark reticle, great tracking, and.... well.... VALUE.
Nothing is exactly as it seems
Nor is it otherwise
tophet1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tophet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 04:17
I found my Kahles 3.5-10x50 met all your criteria. It does seem brighter that comparable scopes and is a step up from the conquest and Leupold VX3. 
rjtfroggy View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rjtfroggy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 08:34
 If you are willing to spend $600 then give a serious look at the SS 3-9x42terrific glass and feild of veiw is decent for hunting.
 Or look at a fixed 6x for half the price should make a great deer hunting scope,I will be buying one shortly for my 243.Either way you can't go wrong.
froggy
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 09:39
What about these?

Meopta MeoPro 3x9x42 - no one talks about these much? Etched reticle...are they not any good or durable...SWFA doesn't have a write up on them as far as advertising.

Leupold VX3 3.5x10x50 - leaning toward this one...

Conquest - hard not to buy these...3x9x40, 3x10x50 or the 3.5x10x44...one of these will be mine...

Bushnell - VALUE - 4200 2.5x10x50 - not sure how much of a value...but good reads...

Burris 3x9x50 - I like my other Burris...and for @ $300 may be the best value in the class...

I really think that if I can look through one of the Zeiss Conquests, that I will pull the trigger on it...hands down...now, I'm just torn between the 50mm obj or the 44 obj (give up fov with 3.5)...or do I just strictly go value and hit the 3x9x40 and call it so much better glass and etched reticle and not get the benefits of the 50mm obj.

Oh well, time to go do another search in SWFA opticstalk and see what 50mm really gets me...

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 09:41
Oh yeah, I really like that 6500 Bushnell...that's an impressive read and scope...I don't know that I would ever use the 16 magnification for hunting, but the build on it is impressive...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 10:08
Wow...the more I read on that Elite 6500 2.5x16x42...that's an impressive scope for the $.

If it were strictly value...that would be a tough call...I'm not sure...but the Conquest, etched glass has really got me itching to own one...
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 11:21
Originally posted by tidmarshsmiths5 tidmarshsmiths5 wrote:

Oh yeah, I really like that 6500 Bushnell...that's an impressive read and scope...I don't know that I would ever use the 16 magnification for hunting, but the build on it is impressive...

They really do have a fixied 4" of eyerelief; no matter what mag setting.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 11:44
What about the Burris Signature Select 3x12x44?

How are these and what is that "posi lock" turret for?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 11:57
Ok, I found the posi lock on Burris website...not sure the good or bad on this...never really had a problem with my scopes losing zero, but I shoot mostly bolt guns in 30-06 or 243.

Plus, it gives me longer dimensions to mount it...that's important as the Savage has a long bolt.

I don't care for the rotating eyepiece but I've gotten use to it.

Is the glass comparable to the Bushnells?

Why is etched reticle better?  I don't know, but seems as though they would be easier to see and seems like better quality...perhaps Saturday I can find a store that carries them to look through.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 22:21
Ok...I have narrowed it down to:

Zeiss Conquest 3x9x40 or x50

Meopta Meopro 3x9x42

Minox ZA 3 3x9x40 or ZA 5 3x15x42

and just to throw a monkey wrench...Burris Sig Select 3x12x44 (it has the objective I like and I know they are tough as nails).  Is it better than the above 3 for $80 more? That's the tougher question...

I like the x42 on the Meopta and the Minox (for $98 more I can step up to the ZA 5).

Zeiss is hard to beat...durability and been around awhile...if I can look through the x40 and it looks great to my terrible eyes then it will more than likely get the nod.

For the money, I still think the Bushnell 4200s are hard to beat and I don't know if the 6500s (for $700 plus) are worth that extra money when the Zeiss, Meopta and/or Minox can be had for $400 to $500.
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2010 at 18:36
Definitely go look through the conquest. I bought one after being torn with the same dilemma. When comparing the 3-9x40 conquest with the 3.5-10x40 vx3 the entire picture looked larger.   It was like looking at the same picture on a 10" plate I stead of a 7" plate is the best way I can describe it. I think it may be because the ocular lens is bigger. All I know is I can see stuff with that scope at 5x that I can't see with 9x on some of my other Scopes. The reticle stands out big time in low light. Look through one before you buy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic