OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kowa TSN770 or Swaro AT65 (or Zeiss?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kowa TSN770 or Swaro AT65 (or Zeiss?)
    Posted: November/24/2010 at 15:38
I have roughly $2K to spend.  I am looking for a spotting scope (angled) that I can lug around hunting and has high quality optics.  I've narrowed it (so far) to these two.  I looked at the Vortex Razor HD, but it's just too heavy to pack around. 

I'm am sort of leaning towards the Swarovski AT65, but I really would like a larger objective.  I've been in the field with a 60mm scope and have seen first hand the difference between an 80mm and a 60mm objective.  The 80's are all pretty heavy, but the 77mm Kowa at 46oz. seems like it might be doable, versus the 60oz 80mm scopes. 

I also like the 15-45x65 Zeiss Victory FL, especially since I have Victory FL binoculars and really like them.  It's slightly out of my price range and actually seems to be a bit heavier than the Kowa, even though it's a bit smaller objective.

Since I have not hunted or lugged any of these around, it'd be great if there were any first hand opinions out there.  Any other thoughts are welcome too.

Thanks!
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 09:06
Out of those mentioned, I'd take the Kowa Prominar 773.  I have the Kowa 884 and I'm amazed every time I use it.  The 773/774 are only slightly below that.  There's no substitute for objective size w/great glass.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 22:20
All three of those scopes are top-shelf.  I agree the Kowa will perform the best based on aperture alone, given all three have ed objectives of similar quality.
-Matt
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 09:30
If you can get beyond the weight, there is another Vortex Razor on the sample list.  For the price, it may justify another look?  Was too irresistable for me.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 09:33
When I ordered mine a few days ago, I was told it was just an open box item that was basically on display.  Otherwise, new in the box.  Pair that with the Vortex lifetime, no BS warranty and it was a really easy decision to save $400.00.
chuck danger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 14:59
Yeah, I hear what you are saying about the Vortex.  The price is right and the quality seems to be there.  It just seems to be on the heavy side for packing on foot, but maybe I'm just being a wuss... :-)
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 15:47
BitterrootBulls (Matt) raves about the Vortex and carries is alot far afield - from reading his posts.

Mine will be here Monday.  Yes, it's a little bigger than I originally planned to go with, but I figured I scored big time in the "bang for my buck" dept.  I figure I'll make do and have plenty of scope to boot.

Good luck on your quest!
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 21:34
I do carry my Razor HD far afield, Doug and Chuck.  It was worth it to me to take the extra couple pounds for the performance this season.  During my high-mountain mule deer backpack rifle hunt, I was able to discern 1/2 inch cheaters on a mulie at 1500 yards at first light!  I seriously doubt any small aperture spotter could do the same.

Then there is elk season:  with my horse hauling my gear, the Razor 85 HD is no burden at all.Cool

However,

I plan on adding a scope like the Nikon ED50 to my collection for backpacking specific hunts.  While discerning those tiny tines was pretty cool, I think I could have closely evaluated the buck with the ED50.  I wish Vortex made a competitor to the ED50 that would work with their awesome digiscoping adapter and zoom eyepiece.

The big-eye spotter/ backpacking spotter combo would be just about perfect for my needs.

If I had to have just one spotter, I would skip the 65mm class and go straight to the high performance 80-85mm class, but I also enjoy digiscoping.

It is a tough decision, but Chuck Danger could get the Samplelist Razor HD and a new Nikon ED50, and still come in under the $2000 mark.

-Matt
chuck danger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuck danger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 10:20
Matt, that's great info, I really appreciate it.  I'll take a hard look at the Razor HD.  When you come right down to it, I guess another 30oz. over what I carry now isn't going to break my back.  The difference between 35oz. and 60oz. sounds like a lot (and in relative terms, it is), but in terms of applicable weight, it's really nothing. 

I would like to do "real" digiscoping, so I think the Vortex is looking like a winner.

Thanks!
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2010 at 21:28
I know I am a little biased ,but for the money($1600 w/eyepiece) the Razor just cant be beat currently. IMHO and many other optic "afficianado's" the Razor 85HD hangs with the true alpha spotter's that are out there and are at least twice the price. We have yet to have one person contact us that was not happy with their Razor and there are thousand's of them out there.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - December/01/2010 at 22:21
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic