OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New .22 Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New .22 Rifle
    Posted: November/24/2010 at 14:07
I just read the review of new "AR-style" .22's in the latest "American Rifleman" magazine.  I am now in the market for a new .22.  Some REALLY nice looking rifles there and they perform very well.  I'm going to have to get a new gun safe, too...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 14:21
Tis the season Christmas List
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 14:33

An AR style rifle or other?

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 16:16
I am thinking about picking up the new CZ-455 rimfire with a couple of barrels (likely 22lr and 22wmr).

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 17:36
I have thought for several years that the 22 rifles made years ago seemed to be more accurate, wonder if rather than that the cheap ammo is just not as accurate today as the cheap ammo from 40 yrs ago.  Ive been  really surprised that the 22 rifles I have bought in the last few years have not seemed to be more accurate.  I hear that guys shooting the sub sonic heavy bullets are having very good accuracy results.  I have been shooting mostly the bulk 550 pack cheap ammo but find the accuracy results less than impressive.  I may have to buy better rimfire ammo.   I was also wonder if perhaps the blue rifles are not more accurate than stainless due to the way the tooling acts cutting rifleing.  I know that stainless knives dont seem to hold or take an edge as well as high carbon steel.   What do you guys think?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 17:51
My CZ 452 Trainer (thanks Rifledude) is a tack driving son of a pup. I was amazed that it could be so accurate with factory ammo.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 18:03
I find 22lr rifles finicky with ammo, so perhaps that is just luck of the draw.  I have seen a few modern 22lr rifles recently, mostly from CZ and Savage and both shot exceptionally well with the ammo they liked.

On blue vs stainless barrels: I doubt there is any intrinsic accuracy difference.  It is more important who made the barrel and whether the tools used in making it were properly selected for the material in question.

As far as knives go, saying that stainless knives do not take or hold as long of an edge simple high carbon is simply wrong.  I have messed with every knife steel currently available to knifemakers over the course of the last fifteen years (since I started collecting knives).  On average, high carbon steels are tougher, but aside from that it is difficult to generalize.  There are too many different steels out there and any comparison you draw has to be made with the specific steels in mind.  Moreover, different steels do best with different edge profiles, and even edge holding varies wildly depending on which material is used for testing it.  For example, properly used S90V will outlast just about any carbon steel when it comes to cutting soft materials, but will perform miserably if you use it for chopping.

ILya
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 19:34
[QUOTE=cheaptrick]

[/QUOTE
Right now, I'm thinking the Ruger SR22 or the Remington 597VTR.  Then,  for half the price I could get a Moasberg 702 Tactical Plinkster.  Not as accurate as the other two, but 1/2 the price.  None of them are highly accurate, but I suspect the American Rifleman reviews are conservative.  I've always found rifles to shoot better than their reviews...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:03

I make knives as a hobby, and don't want to step on any toes, but the heat treating and tempering makes a lot more difference than the stock steel. 

It's a bit of a generalization on stainless vs non-stainless, a lot like Ford vs Chevy. I like working with D2 tool steel personally. Different strokes for different folks, and like most anything else you get what you pay for. 

Best of luck finding the right .22 for you, and buy lots of different ammo to see what yours likes the best. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:08
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

I make knives as a hobby, and don't want to step on any toes, but the heat treating and tempering makes a lot more difference than the stock steel. 

It's a bit of a generalization on stainless vs non-stainless, a lot like Ford vs Chevy. I like working with D2 tool steel personally. Different strokes for different folks, and like most anything else you get what you pay for. 

Best of luck finding the right .22 for you, and buy lots of different ammo to see what yours likes the best. 

Totally agree with you on the heat treating and tempering.  If you are speaking about D2, I can tell you right off hand that Gene Ingraham's D2 knife I have is both tougher and has better edge holding than a couple of factory D2 knives I had, when sharpened with the same edge geometry.

ILya
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:44

Hard to beat a D2 knife made by someone who knows what they are doing. It's a little tougher to heat treat properly than say 440C, but the end result is usually a piece you can pass down for a few generations. Most factory knives done in D2 "and pretty much any other steel you can name off" aren't treated properly as they are done in batches and not done individually. A couple of degrees difference at a critical point makes a HUGE difference in edge retention, hardness, and flexibility.

I don't have all the gear to do a proper job and deal with K&G out in Arizona. I send them a few a year and have been really happy with the job they do. 

Mr. Ingram makes a damn fine knife. Good using knives with practical shapes. 

You might give a look at George Tichbourne

http://tichbourneknives.com

George does a lot of no nonsense stuff and I like that he uses Monel fittings. He pretty much only uses 440C and keeps his prices to where a working guy can afford one of his knives. "plus he's a good guy and his wife is a real sweetheart"

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 22:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

[QUOTE=cheaptrick]

[/QUOTE
Right now, I'm thinking the Ruger SR22 or the Remington 597VTR.  Then,  for half the price I could get a Moasberg 702 Tactical Plinkster.  Not as accurate as the other two, but 1/2 the price.  None of them are highly accurate, but I suspect the American Rifleman reviews are conservative.  I've always found rifles to shoot better than their reviews...
Graham and I have been talking to Travis at www.Kiesfirearms.com  He's a new guy in guy and just gearing up.  He sell a full 22LR upper that will fit on any AR15 lower for $350.

Another one to check out is www.Model1sales.com.  I just got my first full AR15 kit today and am tickled pink over the 20" ER Shaw barreled Varmint!  Lynn turned me on to those guys!!! Excellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 07:11
I will be getting a Kies 22lr upper as soon as they are out but can't comment to much on them til then.  I will say that he told me if they didn't perform to my expectations he woudl make them or refund me completley.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 07:11
Oh and what cheaptrick said, the CZ 452 Trainer is a little lazer and light enough to carry for days
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/29/2010 at 07:25
I have played with both of these Ruger SR22 or the Remington 597VTR. Mosberg 702 Tactical thru sale's people. They are fun.Get a ton of mags for them as i'm trigger happy in semi autos. 

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic