OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Loaner Gun

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loaner Gun
    Posted: November/23/2010 at 20:23
I am looking for a good gun that I can buy to let people use that I take hunting at times.  In the last couple years, I have taken people that are interested in learning to hunt out.  Some of these guys can't afford to go buy a gun just to see if they will like hunting.  I have typically let them use my 270 which is a great gun to learn on.

Some of the people I take out shooting and hunting are not the easiest on equipment all the time, and since my 270 has a lot of custom stuff on it, it makes me nervous at times loaning it out.

I would like to find a good caliber and gun, that I can put a decent scope on for these guys and gals to use that I don't worry about them dropping and messing up.  I am open to suggestions on guns.  I would like to keep it a lighter kicking caliber and preferably a lighter weight gun since it will be used by young new hunters at times (12 to 14 years old) all the way to older guys.  Plus this will let me hunt with my 270, which I haven't done in a while.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 20:37
I'll suggest a Stevens 200 in a caliber of your choice mounted with a Burris FFII 3-9x40.  Both are reliable, accurate and dirt cheap.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 21:12
The Stevens/Burris combo is a good recommendation.

Also consider a Remington SPS with a discounted Viper 2-7X32.

As far as caliber I would say .308, 7-08, or 260 Rem.
-Matt
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 21:28
I was born in Montana and I have heard mom tell stories for years about a hunting party that went hunting and was attacked by a Grizzley Bear and that the other guys only had 30-30's and couldnt take the bear down with that and when help finally got there it was a 30-06 that killed the bear so my vote is for 30-06 and Savage makes some fairly reasonably priced guns that shoot well.  If you wanted to stay with 270 for interchangeable ammo that would also make sense but if I was buying a rifle It would probably be a 300 WSM as it is easy to reload just like .308 is and it would probably be a stainless Tikka and for a scope the sale 2-7 Viper with BDC reticle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 21:43

Try CZ line ,maybe a .243,not much kick and a very good rifle line.Matched with a Vortex 2-7 like BB mentioned.Add a good set of Tally one piece rings & your kids should be good to go!

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 21:51
Another one to consider would be the savage edge in 308 with the redfield revolution. accurate, and good looking, and should be a pretty tough package, that dont break the bank.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 21:52
Well, not my kids yet since I don't have any, but I do what I can to get kids hunting and like the idea of having a lighter kicking gun for them to use.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 23:36
All kids need the experiance of a light weight 300 win mag loaded with 220 gr Hornadys. Big Grin
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 04:59
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Well, not my kids yet since I don't have any...
Well, none that you know of anyway.Big Smile

I'd take a look at the Howa 20" Varmint rifle in .308. It comes with a stock similar to a Remy SPS Tactical, which is about $100 more. It's hard to go cheaper like the Stevens because then you end up with a tupperware stock. A short-barreled rifle is easier to handle, esp. for younger hunters. I like the idea of going with a 2-7 or maybe a 3-9 scope. But keeping the mag range down keeps people out of trouble. Inexperienced hunters tend to crank the scope all the way up. I'd also go with a max. PBR zero inside a tight kill zone of 8" or less diameter. That way they can just point it at a target out as far as 300 yards and not have to think about adjusting aim.

You obviously know all that and more, but that's what I'd probably do in the same situation.
Reaction time is a factor...
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 05:38

I'd get a Tikka T3 in .243 .

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 06:36
If they aren't that comfortable with a gun and you want something cheap a HandiRifle may be just the ticket. 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 06:50
I'd have to say A Savage Axis package or Stevens for an under $500 set-up. 
Would look at the Savage Weather Warrior line at a slightly higherr price point
but ruggedized for abusive treatment.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 08:13
Another vote for the savage 200 or maybe a weatherby vanguard. I have both and they are perfect for your purpose. Actually thay are getting alot of use by me right now. I would also suggest you look at the Pentax pioneers on close out right now. I have one on my vanguard and think it's the bomb for $109 or twice that really, or maybe a weaver k4 if you want simplicity. If you watch you can sometimes find the savage 200's on sale for around $200 at some of the big box stores like Academy. Put a $109 scope on it and you have a very capable outfit for sub $350.

I will add the vanguard is quite a bit heavier than the stevens which might be a factor with kids.

Edited by powderburn - November/26/2010 at 08:42
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 01:06
Weatherby Vanguard 308 ..Never seen one that didnt shoot as well or better than the guarantee.. optics wise .. Weaver V9 would work
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 09:12
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Well, not my kids yet since I don't have any, but I do what I can to get kids hunting and like the idea of having a lighter kicking gun for them to use.
7mm08 would be about 2/3 the recoil of a .308 but still have pretty good knockdown. The 243 is probably the most popular and I bought one recently and it works well with the 100 gr Win Power Max. I have to say that I started with a 30-06 at age 6 so if you select reduced recoil loads and lighter bullets like a 150 gr it is quite suitable but still has the ability to ramp it up to heavier loads like a 200 gr accubond.  The 30 cal guns have a tremendous number of bullet weight options and if you want light recoil you can get there either by reloading or by purchasing reduced recoil catridges.  I started my boys young on 22 and moved straight to 30-06 one was recoil sensitive and I put him behind an AR-15 for a while now he shoots 300 Win Mag.  You might consider going with a semi auto .308 etc to reduce recoil more but the down side of starting them on a semi auto rather than a bolt gun is they dont concentrate on the accuracy of the shot like they do with a bolt gun.  Another route is you could pick up an Encore frame and a Bullberry barrel as novice shooters seem to grasp the idea of break open cock the hammer to shoot guns eliminating the issue of is the safety on or off.  A single shot is a good way to teach them accurate bullet placement but you want one that is actually accurate and the factory barrels are not where the Bullberry barrels are.  If you reload I find .308 the easiest to reload.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 10:02
308 -- could get reduced recoil rounds like Remmy's 125 gr load and still have the option for bigger game loads for when it's needed --just  like an 06 , but in a lighter rig ..
I have a 7/08 ,, and it's a decent enough round, but really doesn't have any where near the variety of rounds and availability the 308 has ..
Encores are great ( once dialed in ) ..I have 2 of them , but can be expensive .. Gotta agree with an earlier suggestion that if you opt for a single shot, the New England- H&R is the way to go ,, cheap, durable and accurate.
Semi auto's are fun , but safety concerns for a "loaner" gun would certainly out weigh the fun and recoil factor .

billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 13:49
If you want something really inexpensive, I would go with the Stevens. I have heard the trigger is crap, but it has some good after market support. Personally I am looking at a youth model in either 260 Rem, or 7mm-08. The reason I would suggest a youth model is the shorter length of pull for younger and or smaller-framed shooters. Plus used Savage stocks can be found dirt cheap on the web.This will turn the youth model into a full size rifle for usually less than $50. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 15:31
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

If you want something really inexpensive, I would go with the Stevens. I have heard the trigger is crap, but it has some good after market support. Personally I am looking at a youth model in either 260 Rem, or 7mm-08. The reason I would suggest a youth model is the shorter length of pull for younger and or smaller-framed shooters. Plus used Savage stocks can be found dirt cheap on the web.This will turn the youth model into a full size rifle for usually less than $50. 
The stevens action and trigger are the same as the pre-accutrigger Savages 110 actions.   The trigger is not the best but serviceable.  My son's Stevens 200 in .308 was $255 and shots 0.75MOA  all day!  He just took a black bear with it this last Saturday.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2010 at 18:18
Congrats on the black bear !
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2010 at 10:19
The stevens sounds like a good choice since it won't cost a lot and then it won't matter as much if it gets abused by the newbies.  Now down to the caliber choice and scope choice.  I am thinking either 270 or 7mm-08, but am open to other choices.  I think if I ever go with a 308 I will do it in a tactical gun, but could consider it for this as well.  I just want a light kicker for the younger kids that might be smaller framed or sensitive to recoil.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic