OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

600-1000 yd scope around $500 for 50BMG

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 600-1000 yd scope around $500 for 50BMG
    Posted: November/23/2010 at 12:44
Picked up an Armalite AR50 and need glass for it (punching paper at 600-1000 yds), I'd be quite happy with (very gently) used, would like to stay around $500-600 if that's reasonable for the caliber.  I like the magnification range of the 6500's, but people on this board have spoken poorly of it at higher magnification.  Since this will never be in low light, is the 8-32x40 elite 4200 a good bet?  The Zeiss Conquest seems quite nice too, but that's looking closer to $800 for the higher magnification end.  I'd love to try out a Vortex Viper, but the standard line stops around 20x and the PST line isn't out until who knows when (and I'd like to purchase something within the next week).  Or even the 8-32x50 Monarch? 

I appreciate the input, I really value the opinions of the members of this board, you haven't led me wrong yet.

Thanks!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 13:04
I would go with a 3x9 or the fixed 10XHD super snipers.

HD

3x9

You honestly can't go wrong with ether.

Edited by Bigdaddy0381 - November/23/2010 at 13:05
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 13:41
The SWFA SS line of scopes are about as tough as they come.  The standard 10X, 16X, and 20X have all proven reliable and durable on 50's in the past.  The newer 10X HD and 3x9, have also been proven on them.  Depending on what magnification you are comfortable with I would look hard at them.  The 10X HD is a bit out your price range but the glass and as good as you will get for less than $1000.00 IMO.  I notice your mentioning a lot of high magnification ranged scopes originally but you will find you are disappointed in the clarity of them at those ranges to.  Remember glass quality will trump mag power any day and every day
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 13:43
seriously?  9 or 10x for 1,000 yards?  I like having more than that at 100 yards, I can't imagine shooting 10 times that distance with the same magnification and trying to keep anything sub-MOA...
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 13:56
Originally posted by AskDrTodd AskDrTodd wrote:

I like the magnification range of the 6500's, but people on this board have spoken poorly of it at higher magnification.  Thanks!

Recently I read where two owners of Swarovki and one Leupold have scopes which are a little blury in the higher magnifications.  These are probably not typical of the brands.  So, just because you read something like this, you shouldn't cut yourself out of something good.

You should go to the store and check for yourself.  If you can't find one and have to order one on line, you get a year to get a full refund from Bushnell if for any reason you change your mind.  My 6500 is crystal clear from 4 1/2-30X.

Anyone in Sourthern Oregon is welcome to come by and check it out.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 14:17
People use 3-9's and 10X's all the time at 1000yds and hold 1/2MOA or better.  With my 3-9SS i have gotten 5 shot groups as small as 2.25" at 600yds.  Your getting caught up magnification vs quality of glass. 
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 14:18
I wish the fun store (the one with the decent optics selection) wasn't so damn far away.  :(
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 14:21
The cheapest high magnification scope that one of the most respected members, ILya, in this optics community recommends is the Sightron SIII.  If you set on high power I'd check them out.
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 15:09
What like the SIII 10-50x60?  That's a big bastard!  
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 15:27

Well heck your not puttin it on a 22!

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 16:21
I have shot a 50 at 1000, 1 mile and 2500 yards and it had a Nightforce 5-22x on it.  Personally I thought that was enough for any of those distances.  We were in the Nevada desert at 6am in the morning and still the mirage was pretty bad on 22x.  Mostly we shot it around 17x to cut the mirage a bit.

Also shot a .338 Lapua at 1000 and 1 mile with the same model scope, I thought that was enough for either distance.

I do agree with you that a 10x is a little light for a .50.  If all you ever shoot it to is 1000 yards then you would probably make due.  By why limit such a beast to that.  If I had a .50 I don't think I would waste time shooting it under 1000 yards. 

My buddy has a 16x super sniper on his .50.  He bought it just to get him by til he could get a better one.  But he likes it so much he has never changed it out. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 16:33
Also if it were me I would make sure you get a scope with a 30mm or larger main tube.  They will be stronger and being on such a large gun you will want all the strength you can get.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 17:07
I agree with above ... if your looking for a budget scope go fixed power and get better glass.  If you can swing a bit more for a SS 10x42 HD off the sample list ... you will be happy.  Great scope, great glass, repeatable rock solid.  I also have a couple of the SS 3-9 FFP and they are rock solid also but if I was putting it on a 50 I would go 10x HD and go ring some steel.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 17:22
I think a ss16x will do everything you need and come in under budget. It has enough magnification for your intended ranges without being too suceptable to mirage. It also has loads of internal adjustment and an exceptionally tough build. The glass is good enough to identify and engage daylight targets at your intended ranges.
-Matt
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 23:12

for a little bit less than your budget i'd probably go for this guy.  http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P10822.aspx

AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 07:05
Everyone on here sure does love their Vortices!  I just ordered my first Viper yesterday for my baby AR, the 3.5-10x50.  Looking forward to checking it out.  SSALTs are sold out so had to go with a PEPR, but will order a salt for my other AR build when they come back in. 

So Nightforce>SS>Viper>6500 ? 

I'm only shooting this puppy at pretty far distances, I'd really appreciate the magnification...

I understand that great glass at medium magnification > good glass at great magnification, but if I'm only shooting 1000yds with it, wouldn't the latter be more appropriate?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 07:08
Thats only something you can decide.  Think about if you are gonna really shoot it that often, if not then I'd say the magnification with decent glass is what you'll behappy with.  If you plan to really work with the gun and get really proficent, get the best glass you can afford in decent magnification. 
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 07:45
I've seen the 8-32 and 12-40 NightForce Benchrest models under $1000, and NF lists them as scopes for distance shooters.  Is that probably the best route to go?  Pony up the extra ~300 bucks and get a NF?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 09:12
If you can get a Nightforce for $1000 that is the way to go for sure.  I would go with the 8-32x as you can dial it down low enough to deal with the mirage if necessary.  With the 12x bottom end you will see it a lot more.  

AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 09:22
I wish they had the tactical turrets, but I guess shooting at those distances they aren't necessary huh.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic