OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rings?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rings?
    Posted: November/22/2010 at 00:10
So when I bought WidowMaker, it came with a set of Leupold rings that the guy just threw in with the rifle. I'm not smart on picking ring height, just read the thread that Chris posted, but I was wondering if I could run low rings with my 50 obj Elite 6500. I also have two more questions. The guy I bought it from had to rethread one of the holes for the base, due to loss of one of the screws, so I was wondering if I would be able to use those screws on new rings, and what would be a really good brand of rings around $50 or so. I trusted him to rethread the hole for the base because the guy owns a Surgeon, and has been his own gunsmith for quite some time, not to mention being in charge of a scout sniper platoon in Ranger regiment. Any imput to this post would be greatly appreciated!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 00:42
The math is easier than it looks, just find rings with a centerline greater than 25mm (28mm just incase for extra clearance)
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 05:50
i dont think its possible to go with lows with the 50mm, i have mediums on my m700 right now and with the 40mm i have the scope covers from my 4200 elite barely clear the barrel.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 09:37
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I just had a wild hair thought about it. So it goes to the next question, who makes a good set for around 50?

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 09:40
TPS. 
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 10:05
IMO the Burris Zee rings are the best under $100. You will usually have to run high rings with a 50mm objective. 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 10:56
and don't forget that low medium high means nothing between different companies.  check their website and look up the centerline measurement.  i went withthe SWFA SS ones but they are not as great as expected.  still do the job though for under $40.  waiting to hear back from customer service. 
Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 11:25
LRSMike,

I run Burris Signature mediums on the .257 Wea with a 50mm scope. There is pleanty of room for the flip up scope coveres.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

TPS. 
Excellent
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 11:41
I also just mounted a 3-12X56 with a 30mm tube on a Weatherby .300 WBY MAG today with Talley Lightweights went on with mediums. I have always ran Talley Lightweights on all of my Weatherby Rifles. I have never had any issues.

Edited by Chris Farris II - November/22/2010 at 11:43
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 12:20
You will need to use a little extra caution regarding what screw you use if the the thread size is different than standard so I would probably try to reuse the screws currently in it as you may have to find a gunsmith to find the right screw size.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 16:06
So I like the Talley Lightweights alot, but there are so many versions, which ones would i need? It's a Elite 6500 2.5-16x50, with BC flip-ups.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic