OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your favorite scope brand is in your genes!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your favorite scope brand is in your genes!
    Posted: November/19/2010 at 16:19
No, there is no known "B", "N", "Z" or "L" genes, but depending on the coatings used on the relative spectral filtering effect, there may be genotypes for each.

Color vision and visual acuity are genetic.

You probably recall that retina light receptor cells are called rods and cones. Rods afford you low light vision; cones, bright light and color.  Three types of cones each contain a special pigment sensitive to a particular wavelength of light. The brain combines input from all three types of cones to produce normal color vision.

Your genetics will determine how many and what relative type distribution you have of these cells.

There are at least 6 genes that effect the numbers and function of these cells.  Variations in these result in common genotypes like red-green color blindness; or rare (very common in some human population as much as 10%) complete absence of color vision and very low visual acuity.

So, when someone says (assuming they really have compared representative samples)
Quote "My 3.4-34x55 Bloopzoski is better than your 0.5-35x56s Nichtschnell!
it probably is, for them.

YVMV!
Harriershot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harriershot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 16:47
Zeiss for me. I have one Conquest 4.5x14x44, I intend to own more in the future.

Charlie
9/11/01, I will never forget. I lost 343 of my brothers.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 17:12
I've always like my Bushnell, and its only a Trophy model. I love my Nikon Omega ML scope as well as my Zeiss Conquest! I know my Vortex Viper is nice as well, just need to spend a little more time with it.--BBoy623
I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:54
Only there was a cheap fast way to determine which genes you have and which scopes that corresponds to.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 20:53
LOL...for me my favorite scope brand absolutely is in my "jeans"....its called my wallet!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic