OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Archery
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How do i control myself when the BIG one comes by?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How do i control myself when the BIG one comes by?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do i control myself when the BIG one comes by?
    Posted: November/18/2010 at 17:35
Can't help it. I've tried almost everything i know. I miss big bucks every year cause i can not control myself. It happend 2 weeks ago . I just finished taking my climber tree stand off the tree and looked to my left and here he come. Head down , eating as he walked. At 26 yards he walked by and i missed. Right under him. Inocked another arrow and when he stepped from behind a tree i was shaking so bad i,could'nt even lock on to him. He was a really big 10 pointer. I've seen him several times since then but he stays back in the thickist cover. any advice would be helpful. I found 3 other Big bucks ,tomorrow morning i'm going to try and get one of them. I took a steel rod and clamped it to my bow and rigged up a device to hold my bow string and arrow in place. I shot it all day using it. works good. Now all i have to do is range and shoot. I'll know how good it works in the morning .
HJHall
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 19:05
Only time will fix and more experiences will fix that.  My dad calls it buck fever.  I have seen it happen to a lot of new hunters.  My cousin was so excited/nervous a few years back he had a miss fire and instead of racking the bolt again he dumped the mag latch on his 700 and dumped all his rounds on the ground.  Then he just stood there not knowing what to do next.  It was pretty funny.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 19:20
Might want to check you regulations on bows.  In Montana and contraption like you talk about is not allowed.  The bow must be pulled and held back entirely by muscle power.

I would suggest getting a regular breathing routine in place.  Same thing every time.  If you are shooting a release, make sure you aren't jerking the trigger.  Just some ideas.  I don't shoot fingers myself, but I am assuming that you have to have the same controlled release every time.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 22:13
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Might want to check you regulations on bows.  In Montana and contraption like you talk about is not allowed.  The bow must be pulled and held back entirely by muscle power.

HH, such a contraption is illegal in Texas as well.  I suspect it is illegal in most, if not all states.

The only way to learn to get your nerves under control is to practice, practice, and practice some more until shooting your bow becomes second nature so that you have total confidence in your shooting abilities.  Relax and learn to control your breathing as helo18 suggested.  Then, it just takes time and hunting experience.  After you have taken several animals, you learn to gain control of yourself.

But, excitement will always be a part of hunting.  Once you lose that excitement, you will begin to lose interest in hunting.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 07:25
I agree with the others, practice builds confidence in your abilities.  I also believe in patience, if you become overly nervous the next time the buck comes in, put the bow down and just observe the deer and get your emotions under control.  Deer are creatures by nature, as long as you don't alarm him, he will be back.  You may have to do this a few times in order to overcome your emotions.  Its also good practice to visualize this scenario in your mind, go slow step by step.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 07:27
Another good practice method is to shoot a lot of does.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 07:38
For buckfever there is no known cure.

A novice hunter once asked the landowner "How will I know if it is a big buck" To which the owner replied "You will know....Wink "

I did my best shooting one year when I lost a bit of interest in hunting. I did not really care if I shot a buck or not. Needless to say I was as calm as anything and did my best shooting that season.

hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 18:54
in iowa you can have a lock draw back for a compound bow. but you must have a perment for a crossbow.
HJHall
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:02
the rule book in iowa says this: DRAW LOCKS ON COMPOUND BOWS ARE LEGAL. i sure would not hunt with it if not.
HJHall
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:12
i checked the rule book in Iowa and it states that you can have a lock draw on a compound bow. 
HJHall
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:15
that crossed my mind today as i watched several does by my stand. I also watched a 4 pointer and a spike for about an hour . i am practicing my breathing to so maybe i can control myself.
HJHall
hhbuck57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hhbuck57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:18
great, i might just do that the next time. thanks a lot .
HJHall
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 21:43

Breathe

relax

aim

sight

release...

Buck fever will probably always linger ,., the moment of truth is  exciting ..but  practice practice practice will help
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 21:50
Keep at it I got over excited last year with a really big 12 point and tried to shoot over one tree limb and under another rather than wait for h im to come in   oops.
This year I nailed a 9 point with a heavy rack.  Just got done cutting him up quite a project these are big deer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 17:18

I agree with the rest of the guys. Slow, deep controlled breaths help bring the heart rate down. Focus on making the shot, and keeping your form good rather than the huge horns on his head. I find in that situation, focusing on the shot, (making sure my form is good, and I'm doing everything right) instead of watching the trophy seems to make me less nervous. Then, after the arrow hits, I can fall apart.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 18:49

All the above is easier if you lay off the caffeine before the hunt.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 19:03
Military and law enforcement have the same thing they battle during training.  Obviously when its time for them to shoot an enemy, stress or "buck fever" becomes an issue.  Athletes have the same stressful moment, think basketball players on the free throw line with 3 seconds in the game left.

Some techniques used to military  "stress inoculate" are to practice under as stressful situations as possible.  They usually start by shooting after running (raises heart rate, narrows vision, just like the "buck fever).  Then they train(think practice) while being yelled at.  Then they add the sounds of shooting in the background, Then they shoot at eachother with their exact rifle, but with paint rounds.  By making it as real as possible, and doing a lot of repititions, they inoculate themselves from the stress.

Athletes develop a routine which helps them to calm themselves.  Free throw shooters may dribble the ball 3 times, place their left index finger on one of the lines, breath twice, say a key word and shoot.

How can you do it?    Run 100 yards, run back to the bow, and force yourself to pick it up and make a quality shot.  When this no longer is a challenge, get a buddy there to talk about how huge the buck is and if you blow this shot the record buck is going to get away.  Try taking pictures of huge bucks and shooting at those.  Practice picking which hair on the buck you want to cut with your arrow.  When all of this is easy, get some practice shooting does or other game animals.  A lot of families and the food bank would love the extra meat.

An interesting thing to think about if you don't have a lot of time.  A basketball coach took the freethrow stats of his entire team, and split the team up for the season. 1/2 of the team shot freethrows the entires season, and the other 1/2 did mental imagry on shooting freethrows.  At the end of the season, the improvement of each half of the team was the same.  This says if you can mentally imagine success, you will achieve it. The more realistic your mental imagry is, the better you will get.  My father was a competition shooter, and he would get his range gear on and mentally imagine shooting competitions in the living room when it was too nasty outside to practice.  He was successfully able to compete against people who had indoor ranges and practiced year round.

Pat

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:16
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

All the above is easier if you lay off the caffeine before the hunt.

Coffee

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 21:22
this problem plagued me a few years ago. i missed 2 deer in less than a week with a rifle. dont try to think about anything other than the exact spot you want your arrow to hit. its tough to get rid of the problem, but as a positive it does let you know that you are still alive. i missed a few deer with my bow too, then i hit a nice 10 point and never picked up my bow again...
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:19
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Another good practice method is to shoot a lot of does.

+2       When you start to realize that a (dominant) doe can be as much of a challenge as a buck in being sharp and able to pick you off. Shooting them (does) will help you settle down some. If you have a maxium season and can take 6 or more deer a season. Try to limit yourself to two bucks a season. After  3 or 4 seasons like that you should notice improvment in you self control. We have been fortunate here in NC the past few yrs. We can get unlimited bonus doe tags and have a local Hunters for the hungry donar station near by. Anyway, the quickest solution I have seen work is actually taking as many deer per season as your tags will allow. Also try to make your first hunt of the season for doe only. Get the first kill behind you and then you are settled in for the rest of the season.
Hope you get one of those biguns so we can see some pics. Good Luck!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic