OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What shot would you have taken

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What shot would you have taken
    Posted: November/18/2010 at 12:00
I have been deer hunting for a few years now and I shot my second deer this season.  It was an interesting shot that I had to take and was wondering what others would have done.  I'll lay out the scenario below.

I was stalking through the woods and I saw a white flash out of the corner of my eye.  I looked to my left, up a hill, and it was the tail of a 180lbs 6 pointer.  He then disappeared behind the rolling mounds.  I took a few steps to see if I could find an opening and up pops his head.  I get my rifle up and it pops back down.  A couple second later, his head pops up again about 15 yards to the left and we are staring at each other.  I get my scope on him (I was using 1X EoTech holographics and he was probably at around 50-60 yards) and all I could see was about 4 inches under the chin and up.  I know what the best bullet placement would be on the body, either broadside, quartering away/from, etc, but I never anticipated only being able to see the head.

I had the dot of my EoTech sitting between his eyes for a couple seconds while I contemplated pulling the trigger.  Then I decided to drop it down two inches below his mouth and aim for a center mass neck shot.  The shot I took worked because I hit the spine and severed it.  It dropped instantly without an inch of movement.  Had I missed the spine, he probably would have ran away injured?

I am pretty comfortable with my accuracy, so I decided to take the shot, but I was just wondering if that was the right shot to take? 

What shot would you have taken?

Cheers.

P.S.  I was shooting 140grain accubonds out of a 7mm rem mag.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 12:26
It all depends on each individuals comfort level and accuracy ability.  I normally do not shot deer in the body anyway, destroys meat.  I take a shot either right behind the ear or slightly lower.  Never had a deer move more than 2ft straight down.  Its not a bad shot you took, and it could have been worse had you tried to shot through brush without seeing the deers body. I think you did the ok thing by knowing exactly what you where shooting at by shooting at a visable kill zone.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/18/2010 at 12:27
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 19:26
Neck shot on deer works good.  Wouldn't recommend it on elk.  But as SVT said, it depends on your accuracy.  Head shots can work, but it really sucks if you miss and blow the jaw off.  I like the neck shot better myself, plus why wreck the skull and antlers by blowing the head apart?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 19:48

That is what I was thinking when trying to decide what shot to take.  I only had seconds to pick my shot and the last thing I wanted was to miss a vital in the head and just injure the deer.  I like to think that I am an ethical hunter, which is why I am raising this question.  At that moment I felt the center mass neck shot was the best.  I am pretty comfortable with my accuracy which is why I took the shot I did. 

To comment on SVT's reply, I must admit, its quite nice sending the deer in for processing with all 4 roasts intact. ;)

To comment on your reply, I am not sure how much of a difference my shot would have made on a elk?  If I was hunting elk, I would have been using a much heavier grain bullet and would like to think I would have got the same results?  And yeah, I am sure SVT would agree, if it was a trophy rack...you probably wouldn't be taking the head shot. ;)
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 19:54
It makes a huge difference on elk.  There is a lot more area in and elk, and more room to miss.  I am not saying it can't be done.  In my years of guiding, I witness two elk that where shot in the neck, both with big caliber bullets.  We tracked them for 15+ miles and never found them.  If you don't hit the spine or artery in the neck, they will go forever.  Best place to shoot an elk in in the vitals.  A wounded elk will run for miles on end without stopping.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
sgsxr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sgsxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 20:25
Ok.  I think i get what you are saying.  The smaller deer is more likely to go down with a slightly miss placed neck shot as opposed to the bigger elk.  That was the whole point of my question of whether or not I should have taken the shot I did.  I felt comfortable that I could place the bullet within 0.5inches of center mass since I was only shooting around 60 yards.  That same shot on an elk should have taken it down as well.  But I hear you... if the range was longer i probably couldn't guarantee the accuracy.  In that scenario, I would hope that the ethical hunter in me would have passed on the shot.

I have only taken down two deer in my short hunting career, but I am happy with the fact that both were taken down with instant kills. 
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 21:24
I think you have the idea and since you seem conscious about ethical hunting, I doubt you would take a shot you don't feel comfortable with.  That is a good thing.  Congrats on your kills.  I think you were fine taking the shot you did.  I would have taken it. 

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 22:03
i wont shoot a deer in the head. i would either wait for a body shot or let it go. if you miss you wont more than likely get another good shot at that deer. if its the only deer you see all season and you miss ( if your like me) you kick yourself for a long time. maybe im crazy, but i dont consider the head shot a high percentage shot even at 50yds.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 22:10
I am not a fan of head shots either, but neck shots on deer seem to do a number on them.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 05:44
double shouldering them does too. course it ruins a lot of meat that way as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 07:03
Originally posted by sgsxr sgsxr wrote:

And yeah, I am sure SVT would agree, if it was a trophy rack...you probably wouldn't be taking the head shot. ;)

Don't bet on that partner,  I put meat in the freezer, don't care about racks on the wall.
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 08:15
I to care about both. 
Rack and meat....
BUT i wouldn`t take a risky head shot for any of it. Rather throw away injured meat, than look for an injured deer.
I have seen one to many deer die hungry because of a missing jaw.
22-mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 22-mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 18:11
I taught my nephew to neck shoot and I would not shoot anywhere else. but last yr.I shot a nice deer about 75 yrs .I'am  disabled setting by myself and the didn't take a step.I got on my four wheeler went and picked his head up and looked at him. went and i got my nephew to help and got back found blood but no deer. I'am still scares me thinking about what he could have done to me.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 20:14
I had a doe look straight at me at about 20 yds i aimed at her nose and there was an instant red mist.  The correct shot to me includes a path that would impact the spinal chord or brain. We are not talking about the next world record trophy buck here so if we are hunting for meat putting it down quickly is the ticket.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 20:16
Originally posted by 22-mag 22-mag wrote:

I taught my nephew to neck shoot and I would not shoot anywhere else. but last yr.I shot a nice deer about 75 yrs .I'am  disabled setting by myself and the didn't take a step.I got on my four wheeler went and picked his head up and looked at him. went and i got my nephew to help and got back found blood but no deer. I'am still scares me thinking about what he could have done to me.
dam deer thieves

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 08:19
Made a very similar shot few years back.  Deer was in high grass and all I could see was the head and neck.  So I put it right thru the white patch under his chin.  DRT!
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 08:31
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Originally posted by 22-mag 22-mag wrote:

dam deer thieves

i'm thinking the same thing I dont think it woudl have layed there if you pickted his head up and it didn't move.  They ain't "o" possumsWink
Sgt. D View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:51
I just Love that white spot!

Git some!!!!

Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 21:54
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

I am not a fan of head shots either, but neck shots on deer seem to do a number on them.

+1
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic