OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

LEUPOLD GOLD RING , MEOPTA MEOSTAR, ZEN ED II

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LEUPOLD GOLD RING , MEOPTA MEOSTAR, ZEN ED II
    Posted: November/17/2010 at 20:48
THESE CAN ALL BE HAD FOR $400-$700. I AM INTERESTED IN 8X42. 10X MIGHT BE A BIT MUCH. DOES ANYONE HAVE HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WITH ALL OF THESE AND OPTICALLY AND MECHANICALL AND ERGONOMICALLY WHAT ARE THE PROS AND CONS OF THESE... I ALSO FOUND A PAIR OF BRAND NEW SWAROVSKI SLC NEW 7X42 FOR $950.00 SHIPPED BUT IVE READ THESE ARE CLOSE IN PERFORMANCE TO THE TOP THREE CHOICES AND THATS A LOT MORE MONEY. PLUS I THINK THE LITTLE EXTRA MAGNIFICATION WOULD HELP AT TIMES. IM LEANING TOWARD MEOPTA AND LEUPOLD GOLD RINGS WITH THE $100 REBATE MAKING THEM $500.00. THEIR ARE ALL LISTED AS HEAVY SO ILL USE A BINO HARNESS. ALL OPINIONS WELCOME.
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 21:11
The Swaro. SLC is easily the best of these, and highest priced.  For the others the build and warranty
will have you owning the Leupold or Meopta, as they are well known and stand behind their products.
The ZR has a nice view, but newer and who knows down the road. 

If thinking 7x or 8x, a quality 7x like the Swaro. will be very good, and the optics are so good you may find you will see as much as the others in 8x,  if it is in your budget.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 23:42
DAVE,

I have owned or currently own Leupold GRs(8X32), Meoptas(10X42), and ZRs(10X43).  My hunting companion uses Swaro SLCs(10X42), and I have a lot of time with them.  IMO, the Swaro is not "easily" the best of the bunch of the models I have used.  It is the only one marked Swarovski, however.

The ZR has the best CA control and centerfield resolution, but suffers from stray light issues.  I find the Meopta and SLC have similar images, with the Meopta being a bit more saturated.  The Meopta shows slightly more CA than the Swaro.  To me, the GRs are good in all categories, but not exceptional in any.

The truth is the OP's listed bins are extremely close in performance.

In another note, I have been using my 8X42 Vortex Razors this season, and appreciating the steadier viewing and larger exit pupil that configuration provides over the 10x bins.  My hunting partner is also impressed, and is now considering a pair in the same configuration to go with his SLCs.

The 7X42 SLCs would provide even more steadiness and and even larger exit pupil, at the expense of the resolution potential that 8x provides over 7x.

-Matt
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 23:53
Well, staying at 8x , would a 32mm or 36mm be that much dimmer in lowlight? I found a pair of leupold gr 8x32 for $385.00. Would you take that over the others in similar configuration? I must admit that while lowlight performance is a plus, I usually will use these in good light so resoloution and comfortable view are more important to me. Also, a good depth of focus matters a bit more than a tiny bit better resoloution. Are any of these better in that area than the others?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 10:01
I've been using my SLCneu, GR HD, and Zen ED2 all in 10x43'ish, side by side for several months.  There's not a nickle's worth of difference between them optically, but the SLC and GR HD are more sturdily built.  I'm not as technical as some, but just spent a week in the prarie hunting whitetails.  All have superb optics.  At $599 after rebate the Gold Ring HD is a real steal.   
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 18:20
Ok, would you go 8x42 or 8x32? There is only a few ounces difference in the Gold Rings but about $100 difference in price. Are the Gold Rings any less comfortable to use ergonomically than the other two?
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 18:47
Dave:
In general the 8x42 would be the best pick as you have mentioned use in low light as most
hunters deal with.  There is certainly a difference where the 8x42 is brighter than the 8x32,
and offers a nicer easier view. 

This holds true for most binoculars, of every make.  You should try some out for yourself.

Now if you are looking to have more than one quality optic, then you can think about that.
Many retailers offer a return policy, so that is another thing to consider.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 21:10
I do slightly prefer the ergos of my SLC over the GR HD, but it's not a big deal to me.  What I do not like about the Meopta is that the diopter adjustment is just a click stop type adjustment, whereas the SLC you have to push it in to move and adjust, a much better setup as the Meopta can be bumped around and moved.  You really can't go wrong with any of them though.  I've always used 10x42 class glass for the open country I hunt.  
krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krshunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 22:37
I spent several hours today looking through binoculars and scopes and included in my list were the SLC 8x42's and 8x32's, the Meopta and the Leupold Gold Rings.  I'll preface my response by saying I'm probalby one of the least qualified in here to talk about technical aspects of any glass but have learned a lot by asking questions in here.  I have 20/15 vision and no night blindness......Big Grin  For my eyes and what I like in the ergonomics the GR's were not even in the same category as the other two.  I first looked through everything indoors at a distance of about 60yds in low light and I felt that the Meopta's were the best of the bunch.  With the exception of Zeiss.  Their color was just a bit darker than the others but I felt the contrast was better and I was able to differentiate between features I was looking at better.  I pull them up to my face and I didn't have to fidget with them to get a good picture.  Same with the SLC's. 

Not so with the GR's.  Different style of eye cups and I tried them at a couple of setting but to get one solid view or sweetspot if that is the correct terminology, I had to squeeze them so closely together that they sat up on the bridge of my nose and I felt like they were 2" away from my eyes.  As a result I didn't feel like I was seeing as much through them.  The other two continually pulled up to my face with little adjustment, sat comfortably on both sides of my nose and I had a full picture to look at.

Taking glass outside was really eye opening.  As good as I felt the Meopta's were inside, the SLC's and Zeiss were that much better and then some outside.  The Meopta's were still very sharp and clear edge to edge but had a slight yellow tint to them in bright light.  The other two were much brighter and colors were much more life like.  I was able to pick objects out in fine detail with any of the three models but after repeated up and down with them I would prefer the SLC or Zeiss if I was going to be using them for extended periods of time.  The GR's again weren't in the same class as far as I was concerned.  Small sweetspot, could see two separate tubes for too long while trying to adjust them and they were extremely heavy.  Tried several other models as well in the $300-$600 range like Nikon Monarch-X's and others and there is a very noticable difference in optical quality once you step up to the Meopta's and beyond. 

I'm glad I took the time to do this today or I may have made a mistake when I purchase.  Good luck to you and I would definitely suggest looking through some if you can. 
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 07:15
Thanks KRSHUNTER, that helps a lot. I figured their must be a reason the Leupold GR were having such a good sale. I also considered the Zen EDII but have heard they have a cheap feel to them and I would like to have a solid feeling bino. Im not too rough on equipment so maybe Ill try them and if I dont like them Ill return them. I had some Vortex Viper 8x42 and loved everything about them exept the optics. They didnt seem very sharp in resoloution and they had a VERY SHALLOW DEPTH OF FOCUS. Well its either the Zens, Meoptas, Pentax DCF SP or save a little longer for Swarovskis. Im sure those Swaro 7x42 would work but I would like a bit more magnification I think.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 08:00
DAVE44 - I used to own a Swarovski 10x40. a 8x20, and just sold an 8x32 EL in favor of a Zeiss for a bit more eye relief.  This summer I went thru about 6 models trying to get a mid-size binoc and stayed with a Leupold 8x32 GR non-HD for $349 (they were down to $299 but could be all gone now). The Gold Rings were very solid, I tried a 7x36 EDII and although the center of the view was very bright, they had so many other issues that I disliked about them I returned them.

Where I got them still has Kahles 8x32 (owned by Swarovski now) on sale for about $389. If I had not kept the GRs, they would have been next to try.  If interested send me a PM and I'll give you the link. 

* I just checked their site and no more Leupolds or Kahles.

Edited by tpcollins - November/19/2010 at 08:02
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 11:06
Well its one of these I suppose:

SWAROVSKI 7X42 NEU SLC $900.00 SHIPPED

MEOPTA MEOSTAR 8X42 $745.00

MEOPTA MEOSTAR 8X32 $600.00

LEUPOLD GOLD RING HD8X42 $500.00

LEUPOLD GOLD RING 8X32 $385.00 SHIPPED

PENTAX DCF SP 8X43 $350.00 SHIPPED

IM LEANING TOWARD THE MEOPTA AND PENTAX A LITTLE MORE NOW. I BELIEVE FOR THE MONEY THESE ARE THE BEST BUILT AND BEST PERFORMANCE FOR THE PRICE FROM WHAT IVE READ. IM CURIOUS, JUST HOW CLOSE ARE THE MEOPTAS AND THE PENTAX DCF SP. I SUPPOSE I SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER THE PENTAX ED MODELS AS WELL AS THEY CAN BE HAD IN THE GENERAL PRICE RANGE OF THE MEOPTAS. THE MORE I READ THE MORE I LEAN TOWARD 32MM BINOS. IS THERE MUCH DEPTH OF FOCUS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 32MM AND A 42MM?
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 11:14
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

Thanks KRSHUNTER, that helps a lot. I figured their must be a reason the Leupold GR were having such a good sale. I also considered the Zen EDII but have heard they have a cheap feel to them and I would like to have a solid feeling bino. Im not too rough on equipment so maybe Ill try them and if I dont like them Ill return them. I had some Vortex Viper 8x42 and loved everything about them exept the optics. They didnt seem very sharp in resoloution and they had a VERY SHALLOW DEPTH OF FOCUS. Well its either the Zens, Meoptas, Pentax DCF SP or save a little longer for Swarovskis. Im sure those Swaro 7x42 would work but I would like a bit more magnification I think.

The ZEN ED2 does not look or feel cheap, IMHO, except it does not have badges from Swaro/Leica/Zeiss.  Among those options, I would try between ZEN ED2 and Meopta. 
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 17:42
Originally posted by spf2 spf2 wrote:

The ZEN ED2 does not look or feel cheap, IMHO, except it does not have badges from Swaro/Leica/Zeiss.  Among those options, I would try between ZEN ED2 and Meopta. 
Evidentally you've never handled a Zeiss, Lieca, or Swarovski if you think the Zen doesn't look or feel cheap . . .
NDhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 19:16

IM LEANING TOWARD THE MEOPTA AND PENTAX A LITTLE MORE NOW. I BELIEVE FOR THE MONEY THESE ARE THE BEST BUILT AND BEST PERFORMANCE FOR THE PRICE FROM WHAT IVE READ. IM CURIOUS, JUST HOW CLOSE ARE THE MEOPTAS AND THE PENTAX DCF SP. I SUPPOSE I SHOULD ALSO CONSIDER THE PENTAX ED MODELS AS WELL AS THEY CAN BE HAD IN THE GENERAL PRICE RANGE OF THE MEOPTAS. THE MORE I READ THE MORE I LEAN TOWARD 32MM BINOS. IS THERE MUCH DEPTH OF FOCUS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 32MM AND A 42MM?
Dave:
Back again, all around best choice is the 8x42, and if your budget allows, get the best one here you can afford.  Try the Meopta, that size is good, and they seem fairly priced for value.

Jerry
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 20:17
Well, just came across a pair of LIKE NEW CONDITION MEOPTA MEOSTAR 10X for $550.00 shipped. I know I wanted 8x but these sound like a great deal. Im sure 8x is the better choice for my type of hunting but man these sound good. I can get the 8x32 Meoptas for $599.00 shipped and they are brand new. Man I wish I could look through all of these myself. I would love to have the smaller more compact 32mm but again Im afraid the view would be smaller and dimmer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 09:01
It is worth $145 to get the configuration you want.  Too often I have settled on something because of how good of a deal it was.  However, I really love my Meostars, although JGRaider was right about the diopter moving occasionally.  I solved the problem with the smallest little drop of super glue.

I'm interested to see how this binocular journey turns out, Dave.
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 09:45

IM LEANING TOWARD THE MEOPTA AND PENTAX A LITTLE MORE NOW.

Just my opinion, but if you are leaning toward those two, I think the Meostar is noticeably better than Pentax DCF and worth twice the price.  I would also include the Vortex Razor 8X42 in that lineup as well.  I like it a tad better than the Meostar optically, as I've found the Razor controls CA a bit better and has more neutral color bias.  The Meostar has a very slight FOV advantage and gives the impression of more heavy duty construction, so it's a close call for me between the Meostar and Razor.  If you don't mind the extra weight, you can get a fantastic deal on the Vortex 8.5X50 Razor, since it is being discontinued.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 11:36
Well said Ted.  I would say my 8X42 Razors control CA noticeably better than my 10X42 Meostars.  The Razors also have a ridiculously deep depth of field. 
-Matt
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 19:14
Yeah, Ive considered the Razors especially now that they are on sale. They are however not as compact as the Meoptas and they look rather long. Would you say the Razors are better than the Zen EdII and Pentax dcf sp?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic