OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope opinions between NF and Swar.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 18:00

If you're going to be serious about target shooting get one with the high power.  There's a reason why there are 25, 30, 35, 45 power target scopes out there.  Sure you can target shoot @ 1000 yds with a 10x scope but depending on your target, you're not going to be able to define it as well.  

For hunting, unless it's egg size targets @ 500/600 yards, a small amount of optics could probably be sacrafices.  Also for hunting, especially when woods are near by, a large FOV is very beneficial.

HTH,
Shooter31 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 07:34
I think I'm going to go with spending more money on a higher quality hunting scope with mid power, and buy a scope for paper punching later and spend a little less since glass quality isn't as big a deal since I wont be shooting at dawn and dusk.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2010 at 08:31
I think that's probably a wise plan. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Shooter31 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shooter31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 07:40
One other question. Rings/bases, I was considering warne or Leupold 2pc. quick release set-up. Is either one better and/or good enough for accurate shooting? Figured I would take my best scope and by able to move it to other rifles for working up loads, so I was gonna go with the same brand base/rings. Just thinking the tolerances may be a little better matched between the same brand, or is a warne ring gonna fit the same on a leupold base as a leupold ring would and vice versa?
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 11:14
You don't have to use the same brand rings as bases if you are using the "turn-in" style (old "Redfield" design) dovetail rings that are common between several manufacturers.  There is no tolerance issue because the specs are standardized and also because it's an interference fit between ring and base, where the dovetail on the rings actually deflects when cammed into the base to provide the locking force.  You can mate, say, Burris rings on Leupold bases and vice-versa with no problems whatsoever.

Everyone has their individual preferences.  There are certain rings I don't personally like such as the Tikka, Sako Optilock, Millet, Weaver swing clamp style, etc.  As a class, the only other styles of rings I absolutely would not use are the turn in dovetail style that use the windage screws on the rear ring / base connection, as I've seen those fail to stay put.  I do like the "dual dovetail" designs from Leupold and Burris, though, as the dovetail connection is very strong; it's the rear windage screw part that's weak.

Other than a few exceptions, most quality rings will do the job just fine.  Leupold and Warne QD rings work just fine.  If I were getting QD rings, I would probably get the Talley versions myself.  I just think they look better and I like the dual recoil shoulders used on their bases.  They are totally machined, so they are more sleek and streamlined than the Warne design.  The only issues I've seen with Talley is they've had some inconsistencies in their finish, but Talley will replace if you encounter that.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/24/2010 at 14:30
If you're going to be swapping scopes, I highly recommend a picatinny rail on the rifle and tactical rings on the scopes (several good brands available).  You will thank yourself.  They're just as QR as "QR" mounting systems are as long as you have a wrench, so unless you plan on swapping scopes while you're hunting out in the field and don't have the tool, you don't need QR rings.  With the tactical stuff you get strength, reliability, good return to zero, the ability to mount the scope where you need it for best eye relief and the ability to use a sloped base (20 MOA etc) to get the most out of scopes with moderate amounts of travel.  That's a whole lot of FUNCTION I find myself mad if I don't have these days.

Back to your scope question.  If you want to buy a really nice scope with good glass, then darn it, I suggest you buy a really nice scope with good glass!  You only live once.  For your requirements the best scope I can think of that will do it all easily at your price range is the IOR 3.5-18X50.

Glass quality right up there rivaling/or pretty close to the Swaro, excellent low light performance, huge FOV for close hunting shots...along with reasonably high power for distant target shooting, very reliable tracking, excellent knobs, plenty of travel, etc.  It should do everything you want to do very well without the hassle of swapping scopes while giving you the pleasure of looking though top quality glass. 

18X isn't a ton, but with the resolution this has you will be able to see fine details better than with many other 20X, 22X, 24X, etc scopes.  About the only downside it has for a hunting scope is its size and weight but since you were already considering the giant 36 oz NF I assume it won't be an issue for your style of hunting.

It certainly isn't perfect, and there are some things I like better on more expensive scopes, but this one comes close to your price range (remember a pair of rings comes with it).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic