OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

cannot remove screw to clean inside

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cannot remove screw to clean inside
    Posted: November/17/2010 at 11:32
I need to clean the lenses but am having trouble removing this screw to get inside the binoculars.
They are fairly old so am wondering if the metal is just weak, it keeps breaking when I try to unscrew it.
Not sure whether it is the small eye lenses with dirt on them or the prism.

http://www.sidekicker.net/a.jpg
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 11:40
Originally posted by qwertyjjj qwertyjjj wrote:

I need to clean the lenses but am having trouble removing this screw to get inside the binoculars.
They are fairly old so am wondering if the metal is just weak, it keeps breaking when I try to unscrew it.

Try a 3lb hammer...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 12:03
Laugh Above
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 13:35

You're kidding, right.

Stay the h#!! out of the inside of a binocular unless you know what you are doing, which you obviously don't.

I smell troll.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:04
If do get inside, polishing with 400 grit sander paper and acetone for lubricant should put an end to your problems.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:16
 OR just send them to Kickboxer.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 03:18
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If do get inside, polishing with 400 grit sander paper and acetone for lubricant should put an end to your problems.

The dirt is on the inside so how else am I supposed to clean them?
qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 03:33
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/optics/cleaning_optics.aspx
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 10:31
Perhaps you overlooked the most important sentence:Wink

"The absolute safest option, especially if your model is not waterproof, is to send it to a professional to have it cleaned."

Here's a professional for you to contact:
qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 11:00
Followed by:
However, this won't be cheap. In fact, it may actually cost more than your instrument is worth.

What is the issue with opening it up? It's an old pair, I'd like to clean and do it myself. I already opened up the objectives and cleaned it, no issue, I just need to get the ocular open as that is the part with the dirt, which I can see move when I twist them round.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 11:22
Speaking as someone who used to service and clean Microscopes with 200-400X capability.  Unless you are use a full laboratory clean room and very expensive lint free cleaning materials you will introduce hundreds of times more contaminates than you will remove trying to clean it yourself!!!

Unless your in love with them.... buy new!  Otherwise send them back to factory but don't hold your breath...

Edited by budperm - November/18/2010 at 13:58
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 11:47
There are big black dots in the oculars, it can;t get worse than that.
I appreciate the concern but I'm not going to pay for it for some 50 yr old binoculars when I can give it a go cleaning them or buy some new (and better) ones.
So, any idea son how to open it when the screw seems to be damaged as in the picture? There is a screw at the other end but doesn;t seem to do much.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 14:01
Oy Yeh!!!

Why would you want t o be messing with the hinge joint.  I thought you were trying to clean teh eye pieces ?!?!/  Please give up while your behind!Loco
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 14:08
Well, I guess you were serious after all, so I herby retract the troll comment. Smile

If this is an old porro binocular, remove the screws from the faceplate.  You generally get into the oculars that way.  I admire the curiosity, but just be prepared to fubar them.  Been there done that.  It was an interesting experience, but I really don't know if I learned anything.

If the foreign material is fungus, be prepared to find it has etched the glass and there is no way to clean that.

Get what educational value there is, but be prepared to get a new binocular.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 14:18
Good advise Steve.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 15:07

So, any idea son how to open it when the screw seems to be damaged as in the picture?
I tried the link that you provided, it does not work.
qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 12:14
Any ideas on how to open it then?
qwertyjjj View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qwertyjjj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 12:19
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Good advise Steve.

On these, if I unscrew the screws on the faceplate, it looks like the oculars are secured on top of that though.
On the left one, if I adjust the ocular focus, the dirt doesn;t move, on the right one it moves so does that mean the left one has the dirt inside or possibly on the prism?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 14:42
OK, finally got you picture up.  You may well have to loosen that center screw.  Look for a small screw somewhere in the ocular that looks like it might attach the eyepiece to the tube coming up from the faceplate.  If that comes out, you may have to get the screw in the picture out and the ocular assembly might lift free.

The problem is that the screw slot in the picture looks messed up beyond redemption.  You may be able to refile a wider slot, not deeper, just wider.  Going deeper gets you nowhere.  Just wider till the small file just fits.  Gently use the file as a handle to loosen the thing.

Now understand, I MAKE NO CLAIMS ABOUT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT BINOCULAR REPAIR.

Having said that I think you may have too much to handle there.

The moving spot is likely on a lens and the stationary spot is likely on the prism.  If you succeed in getting to the prism assembly, that will take serious equipment and know how to disassemble, clean, and in particular to REASSEMBLE.

I'm now out of my depth.  I wish you good luck.  I also suggest (but you probably have already) that you do a Google search.  You might find some sort of guide.

What make and model are these binoculars?

Edited by Klamath - November/20/2010 at 14:46
Steve

etudiant View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote etudiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/19/2010 at 10:21
Hi quertyjjj,

Just came across this thread. If it helps, Deutsche Optik has Field Manuals that are helpful.
http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=78
http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=80
Note that these show tools that you probably do not have.
Also note that the position of the lenses relative to one another may be critical, so mark the edge of the optical assembly with a marker before taking anything apart.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic