OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1 pick out of 3 choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1 pick out of 3 choices
    Posted: November/17/2010 at 11:22
 I've narrowed my choice of 1 down to these 3 binoculars.  Opinions welcomed and appreciated!

Edited by 300S&W - November/17/2010 at 11:23
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 11:28
Whatcha doing with it?  
Is this in regards to the bino your giving as a gift?

Edited by lucytuma - November/17/2010 at 11:36
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 11:41
 Yep. For the SIL.  Kind of "all-arounders".  Woods(open & thick) and open areas out to maybe 400yds.  I use 8x25 Nikons and find them ok except at low light hence the reason for my wanting a bit larger objective.

Edited by 300S&W - November/17/2010 at 11:42
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 12:35

Personally I like a full sized bino if I'm going spend any extended time scanning for game.  If I'm doing alot of walking or I'm in a tree stand  where I'm just occasionally going to use the bino, 32mm or less is just fine.  If I had just one bino, I'd want a full sized pair.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 13:00
 He'll be mostly stillhunting or in a stand.

Know anything about Kahles binocs? 

Edited by 300S&W - November/17/2010 at 13:50
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:01
They're decent, but I believe new technology has surpassed them.  Kahles hasn't offered anything new to the US markets in quite a few years.  I think your better off with the viper or zen, especially if a problem should arise.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:15
 Makes sense.  I've noticed they're not listed on the SWFA sight.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 15:58
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Woods(open & thick) and open areas out to maybe 400yds. 
For thick woods I like the Zen Ray 8x42 (more aperture for shaded areas)
For out to around 400 yds. I like the 8x magnification of the 8x42 also,
easier to count points than with a 6x. Bandito

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/17/2010 at 15:59
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 16:50
I think it comes down to what size (mass) you want and what magnification.

For one, 6x is WAY more useful than lots of people think it would be.  For most cases out to 400 yards is not too much problem, provided the deer is not against a thicket and you are trying to see points.  The 6x Viper is a nice glass, but I have no idea how the gift recipient might think about 6x.  It is not too common a magnification and people's perceptions tend to favor more magnification.

Both Vipers are smaller in mass than the ZRS, so if compactness is an issue, the 8x Viper may be the way to go.

The ZRS is however, very small and compact for a 42mm glass.  By virtue of the larger objectives it will have more light to work with and should be brighter in twilight when that is a concern.  I have owned Vipers and they are nice glass, but mine were 8x and 10x 42.   I would say the optical image quality is about equal, actually with the ZRS having a bit of a edge.

So while, I'd really like to get my hands on a 6x Viper, I'd suggest the ZRS 8x42 HD.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 17:47
I own a few binoculars and I have tried (and tested) a lot more than I own.

My go-to pair ix Viper 6x32.  That's the best allround binocular I own.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 18:00
6x is plenty for 400 yards.  That Viper is on my short list of future purchases.
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 20:48
To me, the 8x32 would be the odd man out. Either of the other two would have a decent exit pupil. For the intended purpose, the 6x32s would probably be really decent. Out here, I'd go with the 8x42/3s just because it's often 800-2000 yards where animals get your attention.
Reaction time is a factor...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 10:59
 THANKS for all the input,guys.  I believe that since my SIL likes my 10x42 binoc configuration (old Vivitar's that are wore out)I'm going to go with the Zen-Ray ZRS.  BUT I've bumped into enough Viper 6x32 positive references(and read and reread ILya's review @ Optics Thoughts)that,after a bit of wheeling and dealing a scope or two,I'll retire my worn out one and get them. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 11:03
LOL Congrats E.
spf2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spf2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 11:15
there you go, get both and don't have to debate this over. Excellent
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 14:43
 GOOD idea wasn't it!!

Besides,he'll end up with both when I'm gone anyways.  Bucky
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 15:15

GOOD idea wasn't it!!

From the looks of your Avatar there is a very good chance that you just might live longer than him.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 15:31
 LOL!   Don't know about that but I shouldn't need embalming.  Bucky
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 15:40
Originally posted by Bird Watcher Bird Watcher wrote:

GOOD idea wasn't it!!

From the looks of your Avatar there is a very good chance that you just might live longer than him.

Ole Popcorn was something else, hey, Earl?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 15:45
      Thunbs Up    Another man born 150yrs too late,I'd say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic