OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Barska

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Savage308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barska
    Posted: November/24/2005 at 17:40

I friend of mine wants me to find out if the Barska SWAT line of scopes are worth anything. He is looking for the lower power one they offer 6-24x44. If anyone has any experience we would love to hear about it.

Edited by Savage308
Sniper6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sniper6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2005 at 21:58

My dad has had the 6-24X44 Barska SWAT on his 257 Weatherby mag for over a year now and it has been good.

The info that I got is Barska claims a first plane Mil-Dot but it is not, the reticule/dots don’t get big enough on the high powers.

The Mil spacing was not exact on 10X but we were still able to use it for ranging fairly effectively.

The tube is very strong and it may be steel but I cant say for sure.

The turrets were a lot like the SS in shape, very easy to grip and reset able with a large regular head screw to zero but it has 1/8” clicks so you have to make about 2 ½ turns to get out to 1000 yards.

This scope has done very good on his gun and it returns to within ½” of zero on any power from the best we can figure.

I don’t like the field of view, it is small and not nearly as good or clear as my SS 10X

I didn’t get him to put it in water or leave it out in the frost all night so I cant comment on that but it seems to be good for varmint and target shooting even past 1000 yards.

If you can spend the extra $100 I say get the SS10X but if not the Barska will do fine.

What a great hobby!
Chris(madrid) View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(madrid) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2005 at 01:41
Originally posted by Sniper6 Sniper6 wrote:

The info that I got is Barska claims a first plane Mil-Dot but it is not, the reticule/dots don’t get big enough on the high powers.

The Mil spacing was not exact on 10X but we were still able to use it for ranging fairly effectively.

According to BARSKA the 6-24 is 100% miliradian spaced at 8x. So is the 8-32. The 10-40 is at 10x.

And it is certainly NOT a FFP scope.

enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 15:02
thanks sniper 6 , for a unbiassed opinion on barskascopes , if i could find a bushnell elite 4200 in  8 x 32 x40, mill dot it would cost me , $780.00 canadian , , while i can get a barska in the same power for just under $500.00 , atleast barska has a limited lifetime warranty on defects
patBisdee
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 17:34

Do you want a tactical scope for real world tactical shooting bad guys or just to have a big clunky scope that catches on tree limbs better?  If you are even going to pretend you are using a tactical scope get a Super Sniper 10X it's a tough piece of functional equipment used by the U.S. military in real world gunfights. It will be a cold day in Iraq before the military orders a ?Barska?  Don't know if SWFA can export one to Canada or not but it might be worth asking. You would be better off with a fixed 6x42 from a good manufacturer.  Cant you get  Leupold, IOR, NIkon Monarch, Burris. Weaver Grand Slam something that is reliable? Surely you can find less magnification with a better manufacturer.

Really now look at the rings that are on it then go look at Badger rings.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2006 at 18:21
i want the higher power for long range , a 10 power is useless for me , there is a dealer in canada for barska ,i was also looking at mueller scopes but there waranty is only one year and the power is not high enough for me  , i can't afford a luepold  or a bushnell  with the  powers im looking for   aused bushnell elite 4200 here will  cost me 700.00 canadian ,
patBisdee
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2006 at 23:51

How about a Weaver Grand Slam or a Burris or an IOR of a Nikon even a Tasco. I think you are throwing your money away on the Barska as I do not think it will hold up over time.  Possibly you can work out an arangement with the store to place a better scope on law away and make payments on it. I know not everybody has the funds available to drop lots of money into a quality optic but be creative and save up or work an extra job or something to get you into a scope that will last.  Is it possible that you could legally visit the U.S and legally take a scope home? It's not like purchasing a firearm here there is no paperwork on scopes, but you could probably get a better idea of if you can legally take one home by asking Customs Service. Even the Tasco would be more durable. 

DWC416X50 Tasco 4-16x50 World Class Riflescope Tasco 4-16x50 World Class Riflescope
  • Matte
  • 30/30
  • 1"
SWFA: $89.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2006 at 15:16
i would rather have a bsa  , scope rether than a tasco or bushnell, i turned a $ 400.00 bushnell into  a rattle in under 80 rounds , in a 303 , brittish enfield  cross hairs fell out scope was not a year old bushnell wouldn't do anything under warranty , luckily i got a schmo in the store i got if from   to give me a refund
patBisdee
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2006 at 13:16
  Don't know where you got info on mueller guarantee  .... they all have a lifetime warranty .... high end japanese optics with german coatings on lenses ..... clearer and brighter than 90% of my friends' leupolds ..... owners of leupolds don't tell you the lower priced ones are crap and break ..... !  Owned one $500.00 leupold ... sold it on ebay to brainwashed hunter ... was junk ... 30-06 destroyed it twice !
One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/02/2006 at 20:16
Go for the Barska on your .308 and report back how please your are after 500 rounds. We need the feedback and most of us don't have the time to waste good ammo down here.

Check the remarks in Sniper's Hide "Anyone Have Experience with Barska Riflescopes?"
mercenary1947 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mercenary1947 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2006 at 10:39

Catusbill .... never said buy a barska scope .... Chinese junk .... Go check a mueller or a hakko ... both have highest end japanese optics .... mueller also adds german coatings to lenses !  Hakko made many high end models for bucu companies including Springfield Armory.  Both companies have a no-bullcrap lifetime warranty and stand behind their workmanship 110% and priced where they should be . If you want one scope for 20 years go to ebay and buy a Zeiss ..... !  Stay away from barska .. hammers ... tasco ... bushnell ... nc star .... bsa  and some simmons scopes . Remember also just because a company makes good camera lenses does not mean they make good rifle scopes ! 

One Shot One Kill .... *S.O.F * Head Shots Only
               SWFAM
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2006 at 12:06
It was a JOKE !    Nikon makes good camera and rifle glass.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/03/2006 at 19:58

Hakko is out of business to the best of my knowledge.

Springfield scopes had generally mediocre optics (for the price range) and spotty quality control.

Mueller scopes I have some experience with and they are good scopes, but "highest end japanese optics"? not by a longshot.  Tac II has pretty good glass, but definitely not highest end of anything.

ILya

enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 10:26
Hakko , i was under the impression that hakko scopes weren"t any good ,if mueller had a scope with a top end in 32 power i would get one in a flash  , i cant afford to spend allot  for a scope,i have seen new hakko's on ebay recently,  
patBisdee
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 12:06
Hakko had a capability to make very good scopes if their client paid enough for the quality control.

Enfieldp, why do you need a scope with 32x top end?  I do not think I've ever had a need for anything tha thigh.  I do not think I've felt the neeed to even go to 20x more than once or twice.  More often than not 14x and underneath seems plenty to me.

ILya
enfieldp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enfieldp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 13:13
to me 24 power top end is low for guaging shot placement in paper , i like to be able to see my shots , plus i will be shooting at long ranges in the neer future i would like to beable to see a target not just shooting wildly down range,,,,
patBisdee
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 19:15

Originally posted by enfieldp enfieldp wrote:

to me 24 power top end is low for guaging shot placement in paper , i like to be able to see my shots , plus i will be shooting at long ranges in the neer future i would like to beable to see a target not just shooting wildly down range,,,,

How far do you foresee yourself shooting?? Maximum??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 19:17

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I do not think I've felt the neeed to even go to 20x more than once or twice.  More often than not 14x and underneath seems plenty to me.
ILya

Gospel truth right there, for 99% of shooters. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/07/2006 at 23:06
How far out do you place your targets? I can see 223 holes in paper at 100 yards with a decent quality 10x scope.  At 200 yards it is a little more involved, but can be done with good glass an 16-20x.  Larger diameter holes are quite a bit easier to see obviously.  If you want to see bullet holes much further out than that you may want to consider getting a good spotting scope.

ILya
jnorthway View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jnorthway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2006 at 02:14

I sighted in and ran about 180 rounds through my Barska 6-24X44 SWAT Tactcal scope today.

I know it's not a great scope but I was impressed. It stayed nice and solid once sighted in. I got 1" groups at 100 yds with LC XM193. I even took it off the gun and put it back on (Thank you Larue tactical) Return to Zero was on the money.

Before you all flame me, I am saving up for a real scope. Any word on when the variable Super Sniper  will be  coming out?

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic