OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Technical question about a power selector ring.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Technical question about a power selector ring.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Technical question about a power selector ring.
    Posted: November/16/2010 at 13:16
Howdy, I figured if anyone group of people would have an idea about this it would be here. 

I suspect this is a bit of nit picking but I have a question regarding the power selector ring on variable scopes.  I'm not concerned about this but I really would like to know the technical reasons.

I just got a Nikon Monarch African 1-4x20. The power selector ring is tight through it's rotation and it's point of impact is the same on 1x as it is on 4x.

However concerning the power selector ring, it seems to "wobble" back and forth when you lightly try and rotate it in place along the scopes' axis instead of the normal radial direction of movement.

I haven't  previously noticed this on other variable scopes and I don't have a large selection to observe.  The only other two variable scope I have is a cheap Bushnell that has this "wobble" and a very old (50 years+) Weaver that has an adjustable occular (no wobble present).  I was wondering if this is normal to most or all variable scopes with a power selector ring? My guess is that the power selector ring rides on two o-rings to seal it from moisture, which would allow it to have movement like that.  Just curious if this is a normal thing?
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 13:37
Is there an allen head type set screw on the power ring ? If yes, see if it is tight.
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 13:48
I am not aware of a wobble. Did you tighten the lock ring after adjusting the ocular focus? I would imagine there is some "wobble" due to the thread pitch, but the lock ring should keep everything tight.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:06
He's talking about the power selector ring, not the ocular lock ring I believe.
fulleffect_1911 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:31
The power selector ring does have a slotted machine screw in it and I did make sure it was snug, it did not change the "wobble".  I'm not sure wobble is the right term, the normal rotation of the power ring is very positive and snug, it has movement in the incorrect directions which struck me as weird.

The ocular focus does not have a lock on this model of Nikon scope.

I've never disassembled or seen a good exploded diagram of a variable scope, but if I was a betting man I'd say there has to be o rings under there to keep any gases from leaking through the power selector ring assembly.  It said in the instructions that the previously mentioned machine screw needs to remain in there or the nitrogen will leak and that it is o ring sealed.

I'm hoping to get confirmation of this or if it Nikon should be contacted?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:38
I have 4 nikon monarch scopes and a bunch of other variable scopes and I dont notice that on any of them...
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:42
I would call Nikon and ask them about it.  The wooble from what I think you are saying is in line with the scope so it moves from eyepiece to objective, right?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:56
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I would call Nikon and ask them about it.  The wooble from what I think you are saying is in line with the scope so it moves from eyepiece to objective, right?

Yes it is a slight wobble along the axis/length of the scope.  When I move it like that I can also hear the grease in there, which isn't shocking as that is a spot that would need to have lubrication on it in order to help seal it up.  Please keep in mind the movement isn't a lot.  In fact if i didn't purposely move it in that fashion i don't think I'd have ever noticed.  The only reason I even did is because I heard that lubrication in there from adjusting the magnification and then got curious.

Perhaps I will try and find contact info for Nikon and see what they say.  I hope they have email.

I have to commend you guys here on this forum, I posted this topic on a different one and didn't get a thing in the way of a response. Yippee
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:59
OT is the best forum on the web hands down.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 15:10
  Here you go,fe.  And GOOD LUCK.  Keep us informed if you would.

Contact Nikon Product Repair

Email Nikon Service and Repair
1-800-645-6678
Telephone Support is Available 8am EST to 2am EST 7 days a week.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 03:17

I did not understand your original question correctly. I have now checked my Leupold scope as per your query and find the same very slight movement. Definately the o-rings giving a little.

Now if Leupold has it, then all scopes will have it Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 07:53
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

I did not understand your original question correctly. I have now checked my Leupold scope as per your query and find the same very slight movement. Definately the o-rings giving a little.

Now if Leupold has it, then all scopes will have it Wink

I emailed Nikon last night, but I'm thinking it's the give in the o-rings as well.  I'm glad to hear other variables have it as well.  Thank you for checking.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 08:47
Well so far the response from Nikon is that they would like to inspect the scope.  So I'll be sending it in today.  I'll keep this thread updated as I get more information.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 08:56
Sounds good, They took care of the last guy with a Nikon concern that posted on here so hopefully you will get the same treatment
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 10:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Sounds good, They took care of the last guy with a Nikon concern that posted on here so hopefully you will get the same treatment

So far I am impressed.  While a bit slow to respond, I specifically mentioned in my email to them that I thought this wasn't a problem.  My guess is they kicked around an email or two and decided to take a look at it instead.  They very easily could have just decided to say "yeah it's fine don't worry about it" but instead are deciding to go the extra step.  Hopefully they continue this good customer service.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fulleffect_1911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 07:53
Update:

The scope made it out to Nikon, they decided to replace a few parts and it is in transit back to me upon arrival it took about a week for repair.  I really like their online status checkup, they keep it very up to date and it alleviates the need to call.  I will post another update one I get the optic back.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 07:56
Sounds good.  glad that they are coming round on there CS skills
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 08:33
Good on ya, Nikon.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic