OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > The Range Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

working up new 68gr 223 Varmint Loads!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: working up new 68gr 223 Varmint Loads!
    Posted: November/15/2010 at 16:34
Well I thoguht I'd post what I have so far!  Once again I am using Varget to minimize the number of powders I have to have on hand!

First target with red centers was 2 weeks ago and the 2nd target was this last weekend.
I am shooting Hornady 68Gr HPBT Match bullets out of Hornady brass and CCI Mag small rifle primers.  I am shooting 5 shot groups and it seems teh last one or two shots naturally pull a bit.  At this point I contribute this to thermals since I shoot fairly fast and finish 5 rounds in about 1.5 to 2 .0 minutes. 

1st target was done using increments of 0.5gr the 2 is using 0.2 grain increments.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 17:17
That'll do.  That'll do

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/15/2010 at 17:17
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 17:20
Nice groupings.  I would spend some more time between 24 and 25 and see what you can get.  .  My one AR really like 24.5 varget with 75 grain hornady match bullets.  I have shot several under .5 inch 5 shot groups with that load. 

Keep up the good work.  Excellent

Edited by supertool73 - November/15/2010 at 17:21
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 17:32
Thats what I love about reloading, gratification or rejection, the results are instantaneous.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 18:45
Bud,are you using 1:8 or 1:9 twist?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 18:46
Thanks guys!  I am pretty happy with these groups!  I still need to tune AOL a little but it looks like teh node for teh powder is right at 24.3gr. 

I had worked up some 55gr  Dogtown loads too only  to realize I had used the wrong weight list for the powders!  (used 68gr list)  So they didn't group worth mentioning as I had already determined they need about 1 to 1.5 more grains of powder than the 68s.  Moral...don't load and watch football at the same time! Embarrased

Edited by budperm - November/15/2010 at 20:46
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 18:47
The AR is a 1in9.  My 12BTV I believe is a 1in10 with 26" barrel.
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 00:39
Looks like somewhere around the 24.5 and then playing a bit with OCL's.

Nice groupings and definately something to take you back to the range!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 07:06
I want to say i was 26 of varget with a 70 VLD. good job!!
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 17:18

Nice shooting those groups will Get'ER DoneExcellent

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 22:22

69 gr Sierra (overall length 2.25")

Powder Type
Grains
Notes
Reloader 15
24.0 to 24.8
This is my favorite load with the 69 grain bullet. It is extremely accurate and consistant. Very good velocity.
Varget
24.0 to 25.0
Very accurate. You may have trouble obtaining the velocity of faster burning powders. Also, Varget powder burns dirtier than Reloader 15.
AA 2460 23.5 to 24.0 Very accurate and excellent load. It is a ball powder, so it measures very well. No chronograph data.
Hogdon 4895 24.0 Shoots very well, but it does not meter very well, as it is a medium stick powder.

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 08:22
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I want to say i was 26 of varget with a 70 VLD. good job!!

I'd check that one BD it sounds awfully hot for 70gr bullet...
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 08:25
Thanks for the recipes Wes!  I haven't got around to trying the Sierra 69gr yet but definitely intend too!  Cool

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

69 gr Sierra (overall length 2.25")

Powder Type
Grains
Notes
Reloader 15
24.0 to 24.8
This is my favorite load with the 69 grain bullet. It is extremely accurate and consistant. Very good velocity.
Varget
24.0 to 25.0
Very accurate. You may have trouble obtaining the velocity of faster burning powders. Also, Varget powder burns dirtier than Reloader 15.
AA 2460 23.5 to 24.0 Very accurate and excellent load. It is a ball powder, so it measures very well. No chronograph data.
Hogdon 4895 24.0 Shoots very well, but it does not meter very well, as it is a medium stick powder.

http://www.whiteoakprecision.com/info-reloading.htm
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 15:11
Nice work, Bud.

I too am a Var-gay floosy because I use i for my .308 and went straight to the .223 with it and the 69gr. SMK's Wes showed.
I'm getting decent groups too.

Good shooting, Sir! Yippee 
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 17:18
Yeah, THANKS but, didn't you tease me about using it in my 300WM not too long ago?!?! Wink

I've been hearing alot of people have switched to R15 and tighten up their groups even more with the added benefit  that R15 is a cleaner powder than Varget and just as stable thermally.  have you tried R15?
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/19/2010 at 17:25
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Yeah, THANKS but, didn't you tease me about using it in my 300WM not too long ago?!?! Wink

I've been hearing alot of people have switched to R15 and tighten up their groups even more with the added benefit  that R15 is a cleaner powder than Varget and just as stable thermally.  have you tried R15?

You sure it was...ME..that teased you, Bud?  Shocked (Probably Graham.)  Big Grin 

I tried RL-15 and had similar results as I did with Varget, as I recall. I need to do some more testing.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic