OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

S&B 1.5-6 with 6.8 at the range

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: S&B 1.5-6 with 6.8 at the range
    Posted: November/14/2010 at 20:36

Spent some time out today testing the S&B 1.5-6×42 Zenith Flashdot #9
This is a scope I have been lusting after for several years for my 6.8
Ultra clear glass, perfect power range for a hunting 6.8, cross between a German #4 and an Eotech reticle with a circle around the center crosshair intersection and a dot that illuminates. My experience with most scopes that anything more than a dot is too much for actual hunting.
The scope has a standard thin reticle in the center and when you turn on the illumination, a red dot becomes protected onto the crosshair centers.
So many scopes have a black dot, say 1 MOA in the center that becomes lit up.
That’s fine at 100 yards but that dot becomes 3″ at 300, fine I guess for quick COM shots, but takes away the real precision of a gun that will shoot tighter groups than that. My test platform is one of those guns, a Wilson Combat 6.8 with an 18 medium weight stainless barrel and a match grade single stage trigger from WC.
It shoots .5 with my hand loads of Barnes 95g TTSX and about 1MOA with whatever else I feed it, not the least bit finicky.

We were at the Best of the West range in Liberty Hill, just outside of Austin.
It’s a fantastic new range offering 50, 100, 250, 500, 750 and 1K ranges
Not just punching paper, but moving and self resetting targets by AR15Targets and Larue, both local companies.. cool.

I did a quick sight in at 500 and 100 then moved over to the 250 yard bench and started doing head shots on the Larue resetting target.
It’s 11″ wide and I would guess the head is about 4″ wide and 4″ tall
With my 200 yard zero I should be running about 8″ low at 300 and 4 at 250.

We just put the x on the top center of the head and both my handloads and SSA factory 115 OTM were connecting everytime in about a 10-15mph crosswind.
No hold into the wind was needed.
Did this for a bit and then went to 500 and 750 with my 308 to test some loads, what a great day of shooting with my brother and dad.

Some pics, my brother Mike with the 6.8 and two pics sighted in an 250 yard Larue
One with the illumation off and one on, (in person it popped more and was not on max power, but red on orange is hard for the camera to capture)

Notice the 500 yard to the left and 750 and 1K in the distance.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 07:48
 "This is a scope I have been lusting after for several years.............................................."

Sad  Me to.

Excellent GOOD post by the way!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 08:19

Cool report.  Thanks!

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 08:38
Nice range too. Excellent

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 09:00
yep, it's a new facility, just opened up a few months ago
also has 5 tactical bays that you can set up as you want..

This is where LaRue had their range day a month ago or so

I got my 308 and the Kahles hitting steel consistently at 750, so much fun

We were head tapping the LaRue resetting target at 250,  every time it would come back, me, my dad or my brother were knocking it back down, trying to shoot it out from underneath the other.. no mercy, we were having a blast!

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 09:30
Good report, Charles!

Sounds like a great time!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 20:25
Some have asked about the reticle specs
1st focal plane dot, at 6x it is 1.7" according to the specs
I put a 1", 2" and 3" dot on the target and it obscured the 1", fit the 2" and was inside the 3"

the cool thing is that off, you have standard crosshairs for daytime precision long range

also tested, and a 20" tall target fits in 1/2" the circle

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic