OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - first trip to range: viper 6.5x20 44MM target dot
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

first trip to range: viper 6.5x20 44MM target dot

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first trip to range: viper 6.5x20 44MM target dot
    Posted: November/14/2010 at 18:08
so.... I had a Bushnell banner 6-18X 50m scope. and replaced it with the Vortex Viper. 

the good.
1. the build quality is fantastic. the checkering is deep and pointy. Excellent 
2. turret clicks feel great. the caps are heavy. very nice. 100% top notch. the adjusters work fine, but the pull up reset feels cheap compared to everything else on the scope. its not cheap, its just that everything else on the scope raised my level of expectation, so it stands out. I can see why PST vipers cost so much more money. 
3. target dot was fantastic at 100 yards. not good for anything under 25 yards.  
4. focused good at full power. much more clear then my banner was. I could read text.
5. when viewing Autumn leaves, the colors really pop, reds really jump. I'll be able to appreciate the beauty of what I'm about to shoot. Whacko

the one bad point.

there was a red/purple distortion visible on the left and upper edges of black objects at 100 yards on all magnification levels I tried, its a "purple edge". that was the only flaw and did not detract from all the other stuff that it did perfect. I was shooting with a guy that is a AA level Rifle Metallic Silhouette shooter, I'm completely unfamiliar with that sport. he shot it and thought it was as good as his $800 Leupold. he said there was nothing that distracted him. and the target dot was what he uses.  

The only thing I remember about the Leupold was that it was a 24X and was much more sensitive to eye position. but did not have a noticeable "purple edge".  

I'm very excited about the scope.... its kind odd that I look forward to looking thru the scope again. I wish I knew how to get rid of the purple edge, but I'm not a scope guy so I have no idea how normal that is. I seem to have seen that on photos I've taken before.

grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 20:15
i'll be getting mine some time this week and i'll look for a similar purple thingamajig and let you know what i find.  Might want to ask a Vortex rep their opinion on it, I know they certainly won't mind fixing it for ya either.
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 21:05
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

i'll be getting mine some time this week and i'll look for a similar purple thingamajig and let you know what i find.  Might want to ask a Vortex rep their opinion on it, I know they certainly won't mind fixing it for ya either.

its the straight edges that did the purple edge. the target backdrop at my range is black tar paper. so its a big black square, I staple my target on to. the left and top edge had the neon purple distortion. there was no purple edge visible on the center of the target, but its round Clown.

maybe I need some sort of filter or need to adjust the speed of my eyeabllWhacko
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 22:18
yeah a strange light anomoly isn't out of the question either.  maybe a sunshade might help too.  maybe try to reproduce it somewhere other than at the range.  point it out in the backyard and see what happens
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 22:53
I was under a shade. I was not in the sun.Bandito

I used Google... and its called purple fringing or Chromatic Aberration. I should have put the center reticle on the purple edge and seen if it was there in the center of the target. come to think about it, the banner did it too, but everything was so blurry that it didn't matter, pink blotchy stuff everywhere and to a higher degree. 

the Viper glass is crystal clear, its another situation where the viper does everything else so well that this effect has a chance to stick out. Howdy maybe this viper is like a gateway drug, now I need a $2000 scope. 

I found this:

that article says ED glass should fix it. my viper has "XD" glass. 

"In riflescopes, CA (Chromatic Aberration) is usually an artefact of objective lens system and can be largely corrected with sufficiently sophisticated design. It is also more prominent in higher magnification scopes where the tolerances are generally tighter and various aberrations are more visible. This is where Extra Low Dispersion (ED) glass comes in. When properly used, an addition of an ED glass element can help eliminate any noticeable CA from an optical system. The use of ED glass in riflescopes is not very prominent at the moment, but it is becoming more common. If you happen to need a riflescope with the highest possible magnification, it is worth your while to look at offerings with ED glass in the design."
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 23:49
My first thought on reading your post is CA. Doubt if it has anything to do with a straight edge casting colours off your target etc.

demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 21:37
any comments??

should I call Vortex and ask them? 

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 23:55
might as well! I'd like to hear what they have to say.  Has anyone else noticed this problem? I never read anything about it in all the reviews I've seen about vipers thus far.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 09:10
I don't have that problem on my 6.5-20x. Call Vortex.

saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 09:18
I have the same scope and it does not have the issue you are talking about.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 09:21
maybe send scott or Sam a PM on here.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 13:08
ED glass does not necessarily fix it, but it helps if used properly.

Lateral chromatic aberration is typically symmetrical around the center, so it is unusual for you to see it on one side only.

There are a few potential reasons:

-the scope could be slightly faulty
-it is possible that your head is not perfectly centered with the eyepiece. Try to move your head slightly and see if CA fringes change.
-it is possible that you do not have the side-focus perfectly adjusted
-it is possible that if your mounts are slightly misaligned, so you had to compensate for that by significantly rotating the scope knobs for sight in.  How far away from optical center is your sight in?

ILya
Scott_at_Vortex View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott_at_Vortex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 14:23
What Ilya said.

On another note CA is just one of those things that will show up more with riflescopes than bino's or spotters and all optics will have CA,unless you can figure out how to only let one color into the optic, but then you would have no color. Obviously most optics companies do their best to minimize CA,but as with improving most things it affects cost. That being said the Vipers do very well job especially at their price point.

With out personally looking at the scope I really cant tell you if there is a problem, but try Ilya's suggestion's and see how that goes.

Scott

Edited by Scott_at_Vortex - November/17/2010 at 07:58
www.vortextactical.com

www.vortexoptics.com
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2010 at 18:04

-it is possible that your head is not perfectly centered with the eyepiece.  

>> I’m a noobie.. I don’t have a constant position. So I’m always moving my head to get a clear sight picture.

-it is possible that you do not have the side-focus perfectly adjusted

>> Perfect :) no, but I swept thru the focus to see if it would go away at any point in the adjustment range. It didn’t. I did the same at Max, med and min zoom.

- How far away from optical center is your sight in?

>> I had to twist the elevation up a good bit. It’s on the “2” line. So I still have 24 clicks of upward adjustment. When I got it, it was on the 1 line, maybe the 1.5 line.. It goes from bellow zero to 4. The left-right had to be adjusted to the right and is almost to the 2 range. It came set at 1. All said and done, I still have a minimum for 24 MOA of adjustment available in all directions. Which I thought would be usable out to 300 yards.

qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 18:46
I have the same scope/reticle...I've not seen anything like you described.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 20:12
does yours say philipines or japan on the bottom?
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 21:04
at some point I heard some BS about being from japan. but yeah its philipines. 

assembly is cheaper there, the parts all look nice, they have to skimp somewhere, and if its not assembled correctly, then the warranty will take care of that.. 

I'm still fighting an urge to buy another one.

Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

does yours say philipines or japan on the bottom?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 23:38

Yeah i'm in love with mine too.. I'm thinking i might even go for a 2-7x to compliment the 6.5-20x, they can be best friends.

demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 15:23
PM sent to scott.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 16:47
After purchasing the 2x7 VV last week I was so impressed that I called SWFA yesterday and bought the target 6.5x20 also. Should be here Monday so I'll watch out for the CA artifact and get back to you.
gcp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic