OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Are you ready?  More bizarre scope comparisons.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedAre you ready? More bizarre scope comparisons.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you ready? More bizarre scope comparisons.
    Posted: November/14/2010 at 14:52

June 14, 2008 Central Oregon

Today four of us compared some scopes. About noon the weather was totally clear and about 80 degrees. Our ages are 84, 63, 44, and 30.   All the rifle scopes have A.O.  We compared the following.

12-42X56 NightForce

6-24X40 Weaver

6 1/2-20X50 VX-III

6-24X40 Bushnell 4200 

3-15X42 Sightron II

4-16X40 Tasco World Class

2 1/2-10X40 Tasco

20-60X60 Tasco spotting scope $89 Tom said he shopped all day and found only one spotting scope, a Leupold was any better than the Tasco. This included Nikons and others for a lot more money!

The test:
I lazered a power pole 451 yards distance with the Leica 1200. We all looked through all the scopes and generally agreed until the end.  All of us could easily read the numbers on the transformers with the NightForce and the Tasco spotting scope set on 40X; we all agreed the NightForce being slightly better. When these two were set on 20X the NightForce and the Tasco spotting scope were obviously better than either the Leupie or the Weaver. Between those two the Weaver was better.   The Leupold was only the slightest bit better than the 4200.

When they were all set on 15X the Sightron II came in last.

When everything was set on 10X, we included the two Tascos. Everyone except me said the Tascos were better than the Sightron II. Maybe it's psychological. But when I pay $411 for a Sightron II and only $75 and $71 respectively for a couple Tascos, my mind tells me the Sightron II is better.

Positively all the scopes except the inexpensive Tascos gave natural colors. The Tascos had a very slight yellow tint. I never noticed this before.

A side note. When I purchased the Sightron II, I compared it side by side outside the store after sunset with a non-A.O. 4-12X40 Swarovski ($750) and a 3 1/2-14X50 Leupold
LPS ($1004). The A.O. Sightron II ($411). 

I thought the Swaro would win, so I started with it.  I found a twig about two blocks way and memorized its surroundings.  Next I checked it out with the LPS.  The LPS was instantly and obviously better than the Swaro.   It was not a twig, but two twigs very close together. Again, I looked through the Swaro and saw a twig. Next, I looked through the SightronII: Two twigs.

Am I telling you either of theabove Tascos is better than that Swarovski for resolution? You bet! All the others had A.O.  Don't flame. Don't ask me about focus or eye box. Go to the store and compare for yourself.  Adjustable objectives work for any kind of distance if you want to see clearly.

Edited by cheaptrick - November/14/2010 at 15:28
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 15:29
Thank you for your review.
I took the liberty of editing a few links that were from SWFA competitors.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 15:49
Loco
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 15:52
I have a Swaro Z6, a Sightron big sky, a Bushnell 4200, a Tasco 2.5-10x, a Trijicon.  None of them are even remotely comparable to the swaro.  Not even close. 

I am not sure who you think you are fooling with your recent reviews but you are giving out flat our incorrect info.

Sounds like to me that you just want to justify to yourself that cheaper scopes are better than the high end scopes to make you feel better about them.  Fact is, it is just not true.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 16:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I have a Swaro Z6, a Sightron big sky, a Bushnell 4200, a Tasco 2.5-10x, a Trijicon.  None of them are even remotely comparable to the swaro.  Not even close. 

I am not sure who you think you are fooling with your recent reviews but you are giving out flat our incorrect info.

Sounds like to me that you just want to justify to yourself that cheaper scopes are better than the high end scopes to make you feel better about them.  Fact is, it is just not true.

Congrats on owning sme nice stuff.  I also hav a varity of scopes and binocs.

Fact is the test I conducted yesterday with the Bushnell 6500, the NightForce and the Swaroski were scopes I paid for and are owned by me .  I also have own the Weaver mentioned in the post above.  Also I own a very nice 2 1/2-8X32 EER Leupold with is attached to a Freedom Arms .454.

Does any of this change the fact that four fellows concluced the same things about all the the scopes except me and the the Tascos?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 20:50
Wasn't it suggested in an earlier review thread that you preface each of these comparisons with the fact that you are blind?  It's not fair to readers to not state this up front.  
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 07:21
Tell ya what, Rich...

I will straight up trade you any optic Tasco makes or has made for your defective 4-12X Swaro scope, as long as the Tasco of your dreams is still available out there somewhere. 

I won't even require you to kick in any extra cash to make the deal more fair... straight up!  That's just the kind of nice guy I am!

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 07:23
Excellent your a stand up guy there Ted
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 07:53

Get Your Popcorn Ready
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 09:50
Before we proceed with our trade, I gotta know, Rich... where did you get a Swaro 4-12X40?  I was only aware of Swaro producing a 4-12X50.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 09:51
Heck, I will go buy you any bushnell 4200 you want if you will trade me for your Swaro.  

krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 10:58
Yippee  These are so much fun.........
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 11:48
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Before we proceed with our trade, I gotta know, Rich... where did you get a Swaro 4-12X40?  I was only aware of Swaro producing a 4-12X50.
Was wondering the exact same thing here.

Edited by Chris Farris II - November/15/2010 at 11:50
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 13:03
Rich, I commend yo for your efforts and it is great that you are able to test stuff and pick what truly works for your eyes (I really wish you would put in a disclaimer about your vision issues).

My experience directly contradicts yours, but everyone's eyes are different.

ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 13:15
I must have similar vision to Ilya as I totaly agree with his statement.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Cope6.5/284 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 13:35
I am not one to put down others findings by any means, nor do I condemn you for finding what works for you. At the same time I don't agree at all with the fact you didn't mention the issues with your eyes, or your findings. I think 99% of people will find the same things Koshkin, Stickbow, myself, and many others have and will continue to find.

Edited by Cope6.5/284 - November/15/2010 at 13:46
Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a grocery store, not a government agency
krshunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 13:42
May be Tasco's best advertising campaign and they don't even know it. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 13:48
Let us not discriminate against the blind, they too have interest in optics.

Rich, it's not nearly as much fun when you lob them over the plate like this.

I am right-handed, I would never comment on the utility or function of a left-handed device without expressly stating that I am right-handed.  The "fact" that it didn't work for me would be irrelevant to anyone left-handed.  To a righty that wanted to know of the item's utility, it would be useful.

Likewise, for the throngs of night-blind people out there, your reviews are probably invaluable; however, it is of considerable importance that they know the "bias" introduced by your blindness.

Optics physicists and optics engineers (with healthy vision) find the opposite of what you see - as do the overwhelming majority of individuals looking through and using conventional rifle scopes.  Newton was right, frame of reference is very important.

There were other more colorful metaphors I could'a used, but decided against it.

And I shoot quite well left-handed, so maybe that ain't an ideal example.

Forget all that.

As you were.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 15:19
Rich,
what I'd like to know is which is your age? in one post you state that you are 66...in this post you are either 83,63,44, or 30, assuming you were actually one of the testers. you also tested a scope that apparently does not exist. my point is, if you dont even know how old you are, or which scope you tested, or disclose the fact that your vision is impaired...how can you post test results and claim them as facts that are actually useful to the rest of us?  Frankly, I'm beginning to suspect that night blindness is not the major issue in your results. One thing that has been helpful to me at least in reading these test results...Is that the more of them I read, the more I realize how truly lucky we are to have ILya Koshkin!

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by tman1965 tman1965 wrote:

Rich,
 One thing that has been helpful to me at least in reading these test results...Is that the more of them I read, the more I realize how truly lucky we are to have ILya Koshkin!

I'll second that notion
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic