OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sighting in scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikehorn933 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sighting in scope
    Posted: November/13/2010 at 09:08
Just bought nikon monarch 3x12x42 for 30-06 wondering if i sight in at 100 yrds at 12x will my sights change as i vary the power
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2010 at 09:13
No. Point of impact should not  change with a Monarch when magnification is changed. Cheaper,poorly made scopes do change POI as the power is changed.
Spikehorn933 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spikehorn933 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2010 at 09:24
was curious because when looking at nikon spot on technology the BDC yards change with power.. which i have.. and under stand that they would..but my sight in point shouldn't change
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2010 at 10:26
After you sight in the rifle, check the point of impact at 4X and 6X and see if there's a difference. 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2010 at 23:52
Your zero point should not change, but the BDC aim points will change due to it being 2nd focal point scope.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/15/2010 at 00:07
Originally posted by Spikehorn933 Spikehorn933 wrote:

was curious because when looking at nikon spot on technology the BDC yards change with power.. which i have.. and under stand that they would..but my sight in point shouldn't change
that is correct. your POI wont change with that scope, but your bdc will.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/18/2010 at 07:59
Guys my suggestion is to go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo in the upper right corner. 
You'll have to register then it'll take you to the Spot On Ballistic Match Technology Program. This site is a shooters Nirvana. It will allow you to enter all your load data as well as the type of scope you are using, it'll help you with site-in data as well. You can then view the distances each circle represents in replationship to your specific information. Pretty cool stuff. I printed off a Field Reference Chart for my .300 WM and 5 year old BDC scope and taped it to my rifles buttstock. Take a look at it and let me know what you think. 
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic