OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with CDS...any owners

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40 with CDS...any owners
    Posted: November/13/2010 at 06:00
I'm seriously thinking of trying out one of these new Leupolds, both twith custom dial and VX-3 coatings/lenses. anyone here have feedback? I owuld appreciate it.

How accurate are the adjustments with the new erector spring?

How much better is the glass?

SouthernStar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 17:58
btt i guess no one uses leupold here
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 18:13
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I'll see if I can drag out our resident Leo curmudgeon to help you.  Wink
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 18:14
LOL there's only one???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 18:25
Well, I sent him a PM and asked for his expertise in this thread, but it's the holiday and he may be a little....."lickr'd up" by now. Big Grin

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 09:24
BoozerYup!!!   I'm not a glass hound, and didn't have any problem with the old glass, but the new glass is quite a bit better  in the higher  wavelengths (blues) which helps the early morning.  Some people disliked the reddish (some call it muddy) glass of the older leo's (in the better leos). To me it was "warmer" kind of like Kodachrome compared to Ektachrome,or Sonys digital colors vs. Canons. Just wasn't a problem here. I don't like elevation turrets tuned to a load, but if you reload it can work out. Factory loads and turret drops are difficult to match. The new spring system has got to be an improvement as this is where I've had most of my problems in the last 25 yrs. with leo. Haven't really had the new one long enough to take a drift on it. Leo's turrets have a lot of the other big names beat. I don't like to mess with the turrets (or the gun, or the horse, or etc) during the hunt but generally if you're zeroed at 100 yds, and you think its 200 yds or whatever, just count in 4 clicks or whatever. If your on the plains and have the time to range and the distance is that long (400 to 600) holdover reticles work great.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 14:46
Thank you, Mr. Clifford.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthernStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 15:04
do you feel the vx-3 is as reliable, durable, presice, as the S&B SUMMIT?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2010 at 16:32
haven't worked with the summit so can't say, I do think it is interesting that a shift back to 1 inch tubes has occured, personally on a toss up I go for the purtiest.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 02:25
I have a VX3 4.5-14x40 with cds. I think it is a great hunting scope. It is the only scope I hunted with this year in all kinds of conditions. It's rugged and the dial clicks are very positive, mechanically its solid and low profile. My opinion on the glass is similar. Good water repellancy and good performance in low light, not as bright as my kahles CL 3-9 but very good. For the kind of hunting I do the mag range is a plus too. I'd consider it over the 3.5-10 because you gain more in the high end than you lose in the low end.
mpk
mpk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mpk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2010 at 02:41
shoulda also said the adjustments are precise and absolutely reproducible. For the the cds I chronographed my bullet (120 gr .260 rem ttsx) and gave the velocity and BC to leupold and the dial calibration came back spot on out to at least 400 yds. If you change loads or caliber or whatever you can get a new dial made, but it takes up to a month and costs about $50
mpk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic