OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Banner vs Crossfire?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banner vs Crossfire?
    Posted: November/12/2010 at 15:47

How would you compare these two scopes:

Vortex 6-24x50 Crossfire compare to a Bushnell Banner $99

Bushnell 6-18x50 Banner Dusk & Dawn $125

It would be mounted on a 10-22 and shot at 100 yards, just punching paper at the range. I have experience with that Bushnell and the girl friend shot through one once and thought it was a big upgrade over her $20 4x9 scope. She would be super happy with that Bushnell. I’d be happier with Vortex customer service. The scope is for her.

This is a continuation of my other thread but I sorta changed directions.

saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 15:54
I have both. I like the vortex much better. Much better turretts. The banner is pretty clear. Did not hold up well on my .30-06 though. Sent it back for repair.     Vortex I put on my enfield for a day and it was hard to really accomplish much shooting old surpluss ammo that groups terribly out of an old battle rifle. Probably 2 inch groups at 50 yards.    Would like to try the vortex on another rifle.
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 16:09

vortex all the way.  no question warranty vs the bushnell hasle guaranteed warranty

skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 16:16
vortex crossfire....have one on a .17hmr and really like it.....
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 16:34

saitotiktmdog,
are you saying that the banner is more clear then the Crossfire? or the other way around? I had a banner on my savage 223. I found the banner was impossible to resolve 22cal bullet holes in black targets at 100 yards. Detail could be better. Although, I just stopped using targets with black centers. It was nice and bright. Mine was broke also, but was still in the period of time that the store would return it for credit.

and what do you think about eye position of the Crossfire? is it more or less forgiving then the banner. I thought the banner was good enough.

my girlfriend wont care about the turrets. Her rifle gets sighted in by magic. must be the tooth fairy.

. Wink
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 18:42
when i started my research i had almost the exact same question, http://www.opticstalk.com/100-vortex-crossfire-624-or-simmons-wtc-6520_topic25819.html?KW=
I decided on neither, and went up two lines to the vortex Viper.  i did everything I could to stretch $250, knowing it was that much more superior.  If you think about how long you may own this scope, the difference in price really isn't that big of a deal.  With the vortex you are getting comparably a $500 scope, (bushnell elite 4200 and sightron big sky 2 run at least $500 with similar magnification).  Made it a no brainer for me.  If you want to spend a little less, the vortex diamondback is also an excellent choice and recently was selected as the best scope under $200.  for me, going from $200 to $250 was still a no brainer so I went viper.  Either way, Vortex owns the price-point for all three of their scope lines right now, crossfire, diamondback, and viper.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 18:47

+1 for Vortex

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 18:48
oh and heres a helpful thread about the crossfire if you feel like really sitting down and reading.  http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1347119
demo_slug View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote demo_slug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 21:05
 viper = rad!!!!!!!!!!  and yes for $250 it is out of this world, I ordered one last week. Cool

this is for the girlfriend's 10-22. so I was thinking 100 for the crossfire and a viper 2-7x32mm for my marlin for $169. Wink

Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

for me, going from $200 to $250 was still a no brainer so I went viper.  Either way, Vortex owns the price-point for all three of their scope lines right now, crossfire, diamondback, and viper.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 21:53

sounds like you're good to go!  haven't handled a crossfire but it looks decent from the pictures posted in the other thread.  certainly better than BSA, ncstar, etc. there really aren't many options there at $100 but i assume that is the best possible choice.  it will certainly be better than the $20 plastic toy thingy she was using previously.

Edited by grimreaper21 - November/12/2010 at 21:56
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic