OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope help - Which one?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope help - Which one?
    Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:05
Ok guys, here's the deal.  I'm running a S&W MP15 5.56 w/16" barrel.  I want to put some glass on it and it comes down to these 3 contenders:

SS3x9x42 - Mil/Mil, FFP, however non-illuminated.

Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44 -Mil/Mil or MOA/MOA turrets, illuminated, SFP

IOR 2.5x10x42 - Mil/Mil, FFP, illuminated MP8 Dot reticle.

I do wear glasses, so eye relief and forgiving eyebox are an issue.

Uses will be at the range for paper and ringing steel, along with some deer and coyote hunting with a 300 - 400 yard max.  Possibly some night time coyote hunting on moon lit nights.

I will know my dope for my favorite load out to 400 yds + and will own a Leica LRF soon.  Having said that, am I getting hung up to much on having a FFP scope?  I want to play with dialing in range and hold overs, just to get good at it.

The SS from what I've read, seems bomb proof, but isn't lit.  Has a great warranty.

The PST isn't out yet, isn't FFP, but also has great warranty.  May be worth waiting a little longer since range time is about over here in MN.

The IOR has it all, except that the tall turrets are capped.  How does the glass compare?  Is IOR heads above the SS & PST?

If the SS was illuminated, I'd be all over it.

So, which would you go with and why?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:15

The SS is bomb proof, great glass, tracks awesome.  That said its not an illuminated reticle and that seems like youre set on want it for those times.  In all honesty you can't beat the SS IMO and if you can live without the lit reticle its the clear winner hands down in my opinion.  The PST is not out, nobody knows when its going to be out.  Honestly I do not doubt it will be a good scope but thats pure speculation being they aren't out and the trials of time haven't been run on it.  IOR is great glass and has been around a while and of all you stated you wanted its about the only one that fits, for now.

Right now there is a NF on the SL that would be a great buy and fits your requirements  too

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/12/2010 at 14:24
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:23
I saw the NF on the sample list, but it'a above my budget for now.

Any word on if SS is for sure rolling out a 2.5x10 illuminated?

I guess my main problem is I can't and don't want to wait forever.

I want to stay under $1000, under $700 even better which the SS and PST do.

Hell, I don't know what I want! Big Grin
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:26
I'd give the lit reticle a pass and get the SS.  Buy a scope that fits the bill of what you are going to be doing 90% of the time. 
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:34

Is FFP that big of a deal, a must have?  Since I know that the realistic range of this rifle is 300 - 400 yds max, is SFP GTG, or since I want to dial and hold over should FFP be at the top of the list?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:35
IMO I love the set up of the FFP because if you miss you can range on any magnification to dial in correction or hold over instantly and be pretty accurate. 
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:36
Then again the 223 doesnt' have much difference in a 400yd max and knowing the drop of you load is very helpful in the firstplace
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:40
Slowly but surely you're swaying me away from the PST towards the SS.  Is the warranty on the SS as bullet proof as the Vortex?

The IOR still tugs at me, but the thought of having to send it out of the country is an issue ever crops up keeps me at bay.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:43
I'm not done working my load.  I still have to chronograph it, plug it into a program, get my drops, and verify.  Once there, I should be GTG.
If I site in at 200 yds, I should be good out to 400 with little dial up or hold over if I'm thinking and doing it right.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:43
SWFA stands behind the SS line 100%. That said you rarely hear of an issue with a SS.  The IOR's only have to go out the country if they dont' have the parts in fix it here in teh states. FYI
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:47
Out of the 3, I like the SS mil dots the least.  The hash marks with the dot in the center seem a little more appealing.  Having never looked through any of them makes it tough.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:52
Is IOR glass noticeably better than SS or PST?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 14:57

Cant say on the PST but the SS vs a standard Viper yes better glass IMO.  To an IOR vs the SS the IOR may edge out the SS but not enough to justify the price difference.   As far as the mildots, you only shoot 400yds max, you already stated this, you won't need finer hashmarks than what a standard mil dot reticle give you.  ITs just not needed.

FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 15:42

Thanks for the good advice.  Keep it coming!  It's much appreciated from someone who longs to know more and is smart enough to know I really don't know much if anything about "better" scopes.

Thanks for you patients and willingness to answer my noob questions SVT.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 17:35
The SS is more of a best buy for sure.  But the IOR does have a few features that the SS does not.  Ill. reticle, MP8 reticle is awesome by the way.  The glass will be just a bit better, but not a lot. 

I would not worry about that IOR having problems, the snipershide 3-18x has been the biggest problem child for IOR.  I have had two different ior 2.5-10x scopes and they have performed very good.  The new one out now is even suppose to be better.

Also you will have a little larger FOV at low power with the IOR.  41 at 2.5x vs 33 with the SS.

So it really comes down to reticle choice, and ill reticle and FOV.  If you want those things, get the IOR.  If they do no matter then the SS is pretty tough to beat.  Especially since it is half the price of the IOR.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 17:55
The PST is, at this moment, vapor-ware, I'll admit to otherwise once I actually see the thing in action.

The 3-9 is a great scope, no question.

The IOR is also quite good, very nice glass, outstanding illumination, good turrets, and mine has been dead nuts in adjustment.

"Need" vs "want" can be a tough game, get what you want.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 18:14
If you want to dial elevation, then it makes no difference whether the scope is FFP or SFP.

If you want to use reticle holdover, get FFP and avoid some headaches.

Between the Variable S.S. and IOR, figure out how much you are willing to pay and work off of that.  Both are good scopes and both work well.

ILya
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2010 at 08:25
ILya,

Thanks for the advice.  Are you reviewing the 2.5x10 PST yet?  I'd really like to hear your thoughts on it.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 15:30
Couldn't wait any longer on a PST.  Didn't want to spend the $'s on a Nightforce or IOR.

SS 3x9 on it's way. Big Grin

Thanks for all the explanations, pictures, answers to my PM's and advice.  You guys are all great!
I'll be sure to post my thoughts on this scope once I get a chance to run it a bit.

Again, thanks for helping out the new guy and being polite, friendly to boot!  I appreciate it, and hope to stick around here for a long time.  Hopefully I'll be able to add some knowledge for another new guy down the road.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic