OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

help with talley lightweights on savage 111

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with talley lightweights on savage 111
    Posted: November/12/2010 at 09:32
Hey guys, I've been doing a lot of reading here lately but just signed up today.  My question is about what height rings I need for the Talley lightweights on a savage 111 accu-trigger in 30-06 with a Vortex Viper 3-9x40.  I called SWFA and the lady said her records show that the lows will fit but the mediums offer more clearance but she could not tell me if the lows will still work with the Butler Creek lens caps.

I do not have the rifle or scope here yet to do any measurements so I am hoping that someone here has this same setup and can tell me if the lows will work or if I need to go to the mediums.  I should have both the rifle and scope early next week and would like to get the mounts and caps ordered if possible.

This is the first rifle I have ever set up with a scope and all the information here is sort of mind boggling so if anyone has any opinions on a better base/ring combo I am open to that also.  I settled on the Talley lightweights because they seem to get excellent reviews here but am still open to other options.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 09:33
Hopefully BudPerm will chime in here he has one of those guns and may know more first hand on this.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 10:59
It depends on the barrel profile.  I have a 111LRH 300WM which has the heavy sporter barrel.  I had a 42mm Objective scope with BC flip ups and definitely needed the Mediums.  It was very tight without any cap.  Capping a 40mm using lows will probably be a litttle too tight!

I would go with the Medium height Talley Light Weights to be save.  It will still keep your scope down low and pretty tight to the barrel!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jerkin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 11:51
Thanks Bud, I was thinking of going with the mediums to be safe also, it's only a 2.5mm difference between the 2.  Whereabouts you from in PA?  I'm about 50 miles North of Pittsburgh on the Western side of the state.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 13:20
Originally posted by jerkin jerkin wrote:

Thanks Bud, I was thinking of going with the mediums to be safe also, it's only a 2.5mm difference between the 2.  Whereabouts you from in PA?  I'm about 50 miles North of Pittsburgh on the Western side of the state.

Your right in that area where the farmer 's dog found that Monster deer skull in Ohio aren't ya.
I wanna say westmoreland county but I'm not sure.
Great location for hunting and fishing up there!!!  I used to service an account in Ashtabula, OH east of Cleveland then drive to west side of cleveland to Port Clinton and go out on headboat for walleye!

I'm located east of Gettysburg/Hanover area about 1.5 miles north of the southern border just outside Hanover and Codorus State Park.  Thats about mid-state as you can get along the southern border!  York county.  Work in Baltimore area...38 mile commute.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jerkin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 18:12
That skull was found in Ashtabula county about an hour or so North of me, just a few miles South of where you went fishing.  It is a great area for the outdoor sports as long as you can find land that isn't posted, lol.  I have family not far from you, some in Lancaster and others In Virginia, just outside of D.C.

Thanks for the help, I have everything ordered.  Scope should be here Monday or Tuesday and the Rifle, mounts and butler creek covers Wednesday.  Should have just enough time to throw some lead down range before the opener!  Hope I like this combo as much as I think I will.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 19:12
Good luck with the set-up and the hunt!

WE have a few members around here!  ED lives out near Levittown east of Philly. Shooter07 lives in Lebannon / Hershey area and stickbow46 lives in Benton between Williamsport and Scranton!.

PA's bigger than most people realize!
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic