OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tactical on a budget

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tactical on a budget
    Posted: November/08/2010 at 15:30
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on a scope to mount on my Unique Alpine .308, i've got about the equivalent of $1500-1700 to spend on a scope.  Its going to be used initially as target to out to about 600yds max and then I might look to take it stalking but its pretty heavy, also got a roedale brake and HS-50 Bipod on it.

I've had a play with the following and found each to have there own strengths but i'm after somthing thats got the quality and built like a tank to boot, any impartial view would be much appreciated.

scopes ive looked at within my pricerange (new / second hand)

Leupold Mark 4
NightForce
Meopta (hear mixed reports)
S&B PM11 ( selling for $1900 so slightly out, but needed a mention)
IOR ( hear mixed reports)

Kind Regards

Andy
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 16:25
From your list, I would probably choose NightForce, but that's just me.  The Meopta R1's are excellent scopes.  I, personally, have never had a problem with IOR, have seen a couple fail, but that was on BIG kickers (14.5mm and 20mm).  They've held up well on .50's, at least the ones I've come in contact with.  IOR glass is very good to excellent and they are pretty darned tough.  Hard choices.  IF you want the BADDEST BOY IN THE BUNCH, NightForce, but the NF glass is perceptibly lower quality than the other two, to my eyes.   NOT by much, but some.  NF also has a great reticle selection, as does IOR.  Meopta has limited reticle selection and eye relief is a little limited, if that matters to you.  Good glass for the price range.  
S&B is an excellent product, but a bit pricey when you consider you can get similar quality for less.  Leupy Mk4...ehh, OK, I probably would not buy one, but lot's of people love them.  The only one I spent any time with was not bad, not great...  If someone gave me one, I would not throw it away.  There are some "new and improved" coming on the market that I have not touched, so I don't know anything about them.  Being Leupy, they probably cost more than I want to pay for a Leupy...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
apjohnson73 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 16:44
Thanks for that really appreciate the feedback,
I like the look of the IOR scopes but i've found that a lot of the rings I would go for are not being offered for the 35mm scopes ( Spuhr, ARMS etc...).  The NF look pretty heavy in comparison to other makes so I guess it adds to the overall stregth of the scope and there does seem to be a general concensus that they are built like tanks.

What sort of magnification would you go for, I was looking to go for somthing around the (5-8)-(22-25) ->(50/56).

Regards

Andy
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 20:07
Originally posted by apjohnson73 apjohnson73 wrote:

i'm after somthing thats got the quality and built like a tank to boot, any impartial view would be much appreciated.

Yes Im a USO fan so hard to call this "impartial" ...

I am hard on my gear and I have a SN3 that has been dropped, drug through the mud, slid off the hood of the truck onto blacktop, still works like a champ.  You could configure that scope how you want it with the reticle you want.  Drop the Illum and save some $$ unless you need it.  Some states won't allow hunting with Illum, etc.  Drop the ERGO and save some more $$ and go fixed.  I would never skip the EREK option though Big Grin
deadduck357 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deadduck357 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 00:29
Budget = $1,500 - $1,700 Say What
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 02:05
I would love a US Optics but the price just puts it out of what I can afford right now, I did look at the Socom 2000 model and you could feel from the weight alone it was well build.

However if price wasn't an issue I would probably got with Zeiss military or a Premier but over in the UK both of these scopes are pretty hard to come by its gerneally Swar,Zeiss,S&B or IOR .

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 09:03
Kelly at optics for sale at this site has a diavaria Fl for $1900 with a z800 reticle.   Jump on it!!!!!!
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 09:20
It would be an out the country sale Dale, I don't recommend trying to deal with that
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by apjohnson73 apjohnson73 wrote:

I would love a US Optics but the price just puts it out of what I can afford right now,
A SN3 1.8-10x44

That scope with the only upgrade being EREK can be had new for $1700 if you drop the EREK and get a #1 knob for elevation you save $175.  You can get that scope for $1700 or less if you find used.  Thats in the states ... no idea about Europe.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 12:20
Thats pretty good, however US Optics just dont come on the secondary market over here, guess they are one scope that people just want to keep hold of.   However at the moment i'm leaning towards Nightforce or IOR, the IOR seem to be really good on price, I can get a brand new IOR for the same price as a second hand NF, but NF have the look :)
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 10:15
Remembering back to the 9 months I spent in Scotland, it seemed like the light was often very tricky. It wasn't like other places I've spent time in where it seems to either be sunny or completely overcast. I don't know if it's that way throughout Britain, but I would want good to great glass and a large exit pupil.

Also, hand-in-hand with that, I think you're looking at too high a magnification range. That will require a much larger objective, will generally increase weight and will (on all but IOR or high-end scopes) limit your low end to such a high magnification that it will greatly restrict your field of view. 9-10X is adequate to get out to 600 yards and 15X is very comfortable. You might consider a 3-18X IOR if that is readily available.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 12:29
Thanks for that advice, generally speaking its always pretty gloomy in the UK, bright sunny days are fast becoming the exception over here.  I've Just been speaking with the Guy over at Border Barrels here in the UK and he was shooting with IOR in F-Class championships over in the states earlier this year , but again rated NF and USO as top scopes but hes also the sole importer for IOR over here. 

As for Magnification i'm still finding my way with all this and tried a couple of mid level scopes at the club which varied from 9-36 and 6-24 so jsut stuck with them through habit more than anything.

Cheers Andy
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 12:56
Go up with the glass quality and down with the magnification. I think the IOR is the way to go for your needs and budget.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apjohnson73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 15:27
Cheers Matt,

I think i'm going to go with the IOR unless a really good deal on a NF pops up in advance, ill post a piccy as soon as I get one on my alpine.  But I can't help feeling it would look great with a US Optics scope (just have to beg I think).

Thanks again for great advise guys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic