OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Varmint Rig 0-600 Yards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 17:43
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I've considered a lot of things and I really don't want my lower mag to be higher than 5. With most all things taken into consideration I have narrowed it down to the conquest which in my mind has always been superb for under the $1k mark. The other last man standing is the Minox ZA5 3-15. For the pricetag after looking through it the Minox is harder harder not to try. I have the Remington 700 SPS Varmint. You said you have a few .204s about when do they run out of horsepower? From what I know I shouldnt have any issues out to 600.

My slowest 204, a CZ-527A has the following M/V (@440') above sea level with a 39 SMK;

Muzzle Vel; 3550 fps
Muzzle Egy; 1103 ft/lbs

500 yds Vel: 1713 fps
500 yds Egy; 254 ft/lbs

800 yds Vel:  1044
800 yds Egy; 94 ft/lbs

At 800 yds this load goes subsonic which is the end of the line.  Since I shoot mine primarly at ground squirrels, I won't reun out of horse-power.  But if it was something bigger it might not be enough, which is where my 6mm Remington comes into play.

As far as the MIN magnification, I hear ya' but I'm using mine in wide open areas with many back-up rifles so a 6 or a 6.5 isn't a main concern for me and neither would a 8.5.  Now, if I were to use it in folage then I too would reduce my MIN pwr to 5 or less.

A Zeiss Conquest is a good choice but I wish they would offer the 4.5-14x50 with their Rapid Z Varmint reticle.

Oh, and on a different note; received the Leupold Binoculars today (switch power).  Another 1st class transaction from you folks, Thx.

HTH,

Edited by tjtjwdad - November/09/2010 at 17:45
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 17:57
I think a Conquest with the Rapid-Z Varmint, AND a kenton knob would be excellent. That way if the action is very fast, you can use the reticle, but for all out precision, you still have a knob to dial in..... But maybe I just like options.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 18:04
what all these guys say, conquest rapid-Z with some nice zoom on it!
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 18:46
Unfortunatly to get a Rapid Z-Varmint one has to get a 6.5-20x50.  My CZ 204 wears this scope, it is a nice piece of glass but so are the Swarovski's which are on the Remington's.

Jim
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 19:20
I would probably consider Sightron S3 6-24x50 for this.  It is a nice piece and I easily prefer S3 to Elite 6500 in terms of optical quality (not hard for you to check).

Minox ZA-5 4-20x50 is another good choice.

Or you could wait and see what interesting stuff comes out at SHOT.  I can think of a couple of good options that will be announced in January.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 07:30
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I would probably consider Sightron S3 6-24x50 for this.  It is a nice piece and I easily prefer S3 to Elite 6500 in terms of optical quality (not hard for you to check).

Or you could wait and see what interesting stuff comes out at SHOT.  I can think of a couple of good options that will be announced in January.

ILya
And they are............ 
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 12:12

Great glass, but heavy at >22 oz.
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 12:14

ILya
I went with the ZA5 4-20X50 Ilya.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 12:35
now lets see it buttoned up!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 14:23

It must be nice to be where you can compare them side to side. Eek I wish I knew what the new super secret optic was from Trijicon. Head Banger or if it makes current models obsolete. Yikes

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 14:26
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

ILya
And they are............ 

In bold above.

ILya
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 16:49
ILya,

After reading a review you had posted (stumbled across it on google), that Minox scope sounds like its a good bang for the buck as long as you like the reticles.  I may have to spring for a 4-20 for my 17 HMR.

Jim 
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 17:00
Jim,

They are a well kept secret currently, but with those mag ranges and the glass quality they are a good deal for the money. Especially with its competition it should say a lot for this scope considering what I picked it over. I chose the Minox because the COMBINED features of PRICE, GLASS, 5X ZOOM, and it has plenty of ELEVATION TRAVEL to be swapped to another gun down the road. I will give a review over it once I get it out in the field and post as much as I possibly can about it against all the scopes below except maybe the Viper and I will throw in my swarovski in the matchup also.

Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope DOA 600 Bushnell 4.5-30x50 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 654305B
  • Matte
  • DOA 600
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$949.95 

Optional Accessories:
Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 4.5-14x50 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214909920
  • Matte
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$849.95 

Optional Accessories:

Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 4-12x40 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM04BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$399.95 

Optional Accessories:
Minox 4-20X50 ZA5 Riflescope Minox 4-20X50 ZA5 Riflescope
Stock # - 66031
  • Matte
  • Minox BDC
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$728.95 

Optional Accessories:
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 19:18
I'm looking foward to this!
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 20:45
Originally posted by Chris Farris II Chris Farris II wrote:

I will give a review over it once I get it out in the field and post as much as I possibly can about it against all the scopes below except maybe the Viper and I will throw in my swarovski in the matchup also. 

I appreciate it and I'll be lookin' out for it.

Jim
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:09

Edited by Chris Farris II - November/17/2010 at 14:18
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:10
That looks nice CFII.   I like it.Excellent
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:18
Sporty!!!!!!!!!!!
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:19
Thanks guys I can't wait to get out and shoot it.
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2010 at 14:23
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... scooter likes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic