OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nitrex TR Two 3-15x50 EBX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nitrex TR Two 3-15x50 EBX
    Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:46
This is only a few opening statements.  I will get some pictures and a more detailed review up later this week when I get my computer at the house back going. 

Pros
- Clear sight picture, edge to edge clarity was good on all powers.
- Reticle was usable and not as "cluttered" as some would expect.
- Turret system, By far one of my favorite designs.

Cons
- Extremly sensitive eye relief.  (the one reason I will not recommend these)
- Size to weight ration.  to be a short little scope it sure did have some bulk
- Mounting restrictions, not much to work with

All in all its not a bad scope but its not a good scope because of its critical eye relief and mounting issues.  If I keep it I will have to get a base and rings vs. the talley lightweight alluminums that i currently use.  That said follow up shots on targets using the EBX reticle was great.  I could see misses and use the reticle for holdovers for correct followup shots. 

One of the big questions a few had was if this was better than the vortex viper, IMHO no.  And a resounding no at that.  Comparable the viper has clearer glass and better design.  Only think the Nitrex wins on IMO is the turret design and even that is personal preferance because my dad didn't care for them at all.

More to come

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/08/2010 at 10:25
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 10:19
Some Prelimenary specs. straight from Nitrexoptics.coms site
TruCoat™ Fully Multi-Coated Lenses
Extra Hard Exterior Lens Coating
Tough and Rugged Construction
Side Focus Parallax Adjustment
One-piece Tube Design
Argon Purged Gas Tube
Pull-up, No Cap Turrets with ¼” MOA
27.5 OZ & 12.9" Long
160 clicks elevation = 40MOA total adjustment with 1/4 clicks
Shockproof, Waterproof & Fogproof
3.98 Inch Eye Relief HA!
34 ft. at 100 yds. F.O.V. (3x)
7 ft. at 100 yds. F.O.V. (15x)

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 10:29
One major question I heard before was with the rebate from Nitrex and the closeout price on the Nitrex TR2 how did it stack up against the Viper, especially the ones on sale being they would in the end be in the same price range.  Well comparing the two I didn't think they where in the same league.  Anyone on the fence between the two, especially being the sales for both will not last forever, jump on the viper bandwagon with confidence, IMO
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 16:56
Great information.  Thanks.
-Matt
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 07:55
thanks ..That was a scope I was considering
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 11:25
Good review, and it's interesting to read the comparison to the Viper. I recently purchased a Nitrex TR1 3-10X50, but have no other good, newer scopes to compare it to. As far as I can tell by researching online, the TR1 and TR2 use the same glass. Mine has the plain duplex reticle.

The things listed as 'cons' above do not seem to apply to the TR1. I have not noticed any fussy eye relief issues. I have the scope on a 308, but would not hesitate to put it on a more powerful gun.

The 3-10 is long, but the scope weighs about 17 ounces, so it's quite a bit lighter than the TR2. The added length translates into a good 5.5 inches of mounting tube length.

I definitely plan to keep mine.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 11:28
Its more of an eye position issue than an eye relief issue.  On any power i used the sightest movement of your position would cause issues.  It was extremely critical to hold completely still.  Having to pick up to look at the turrets to dial in then re-find the correct eye position was a chore to do.  Comparably the viper was a lot, lot, easier and easier to use. 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 22:30
thanks this makes the viper purchase all the more easier!
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 06:32
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 06:32
In the second picture above you can see the limited mounting issues I was talking about coming into play.  No way to move back or forth with that setup.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 06:33
This was a target shot at 300yds with the Nitex and a new 55gr Dogtown bullet I was trying from Mid-way.  Not bad considering
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 13:45
Good review.
I've been trying to decide between the TR-2 2-10x 50mm or 3-15x 50mm and the Vortex Viper 3.5-10x 50mm Vplex that SWFA has on clearance to ride on my Browning Abolt.
Given that the Abolt is a magnum with a 2 piece Leupold mount, it looks like the Viper is a big winner here, as I wouldn't have to remount it. Now if they can just stay on clearance till my bank account fills back up!

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2010 at 13:48

You won't be disappointed with the Viper.  I am in the process of getting another base to be able to adjust the scope position more than the talleys will allow.  Once I do I will get another review up.

skamaniac View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skamaniac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2011 at 08:15
Thanks for the review.  I still went with the Nitrex because of the price point and reviews.  I have to say i have not been dissapointed one bit.  I have the same scope you reviewed but didn't have the same issues you did.  I mounted it on a Ruger M77 .17hmr that has a scope rail which did alloy me to have some leeway in mounting.  To be honest though, i don't think it was fair to compare the Viper 3.5-10x50 with the TR Two 3-15x50.  It would have been more fair to compare the Viper with the Tr Two 2-10x50 which is a longer scope and would provide more mounting room.
I also don't have a problem with eye positioning but that also is because i use appropriate cheek pieces on all my rifles to get the proper cheek weld/position each and every time i place my cheek on the stock.
As far as glass is concerned, i find the glass on the Nitrex to be equal to my Leupold VX-3's in brightness and clarity.  Although the Leupold may have a slight edge on contrast.  I believe it (nitrex) it also to beat out my Nikon Monarch.  I don't own a Viper as of yet.
In real life hunting situations, i can pick out rabbits sneaking through the jack pines just before dark when i can't see into the pines with a naked eye or other inferior optics.
One note is that it does have a limited amount of elevation/windage adjustment which again doesn't concern me because i use Burris Signature Zee rings with inserts on all my rifles to allow me to get close to zero or at least bore sighted before ever needing to turn the adjustment knobs.
I really like the pull-up to adjust design and re-settable to zero knobs for my rifle application.
They are definitley heftier than some other scopes.  The side focus adjustment helps to add some weight but is something I also wanted in my application.  It also adjusts down and relieves parallx to 25 yds.
I have to say that in my opinion Nitrex TR Two's (Weaver SuperSlam) are fine rifle scopes.
I like it so much, i am going to purchase a TR One which is lighter and of a more no-frills scope with the normal low profile windage/elevation knobs.  As a matter of fact, the TR One 3-10x50 share the same optics as the TR Two and might even be a better model to compare to the Viper being they share most of the same specs except for length.  The TR One is longer and should provide more mounting room if that is a concern.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2011 at 07:32
Originally posted by skamaniac skamaniac wrote:

Thanks for the review. .................. To be honest though, i don't think it was fair to compare the Viper 3.5-10x50 with the TR Two 3-15x50.  It would have been more fair to compare the Viper with the Tr Two 2-10x50 which is a longer scope and would provide more mounting room.

I compared it to a viper 4-12.... not sure where you got 3.5-10
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic