OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

good scope for rem 700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: good scope for rem 700
    Posted: November/08/2010 at 01:33
i have a remington 700 sps tactical in .308 and thinking about putting the leupold vx-3l in 3.5-10x50mm on it. it will be mostly used for deer and hog hunting out to 200-400 yards.  any thoughts?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 07:07
I just put a zeiss 4.5-14 conquest on the same gun and man its freakin awesome! I know this has nothing to do with the leo your talking about but I just had to say it. 

Now the scope you have does have good reviews on it and should be more than servicable.  BTW there are a few tricks to help tune the SPS Tactical in its stock configuration and really help it out.  PM me if you want some details.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - November/08/2010 at 09:15
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:06
Your scope has excellent glass, with very good low light ability which can be important for both deer and hogs. It can be mounted very low, which makes up for the bulky 50mm bell which is of course what gives it such good night ability along with the glass (exit pupil = 5mm at high range, very good). The magnification range matches the rifle very well. You will not regret your choice. Very good hunting scope.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:13
Welcome to the OT!

+1 Zeiss conquest,take a look @ the SWFA sample list they have some great deals going!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Mr. Terror View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 21:20
well thanks for the help and i will look in to the zeiss. 
svt i will send you the pm about the rifle tune up

stickbow thanks for the warm welcome

west i just hope i can do the glass proud
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 22:52
If you can swing the Zeiss, a 4.5-14x50 is very clear, good resolution, superb light gathering capability, outstanding contrasting reticles and constant eye relief thruout the zoom range.

HTH,
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 19:21
theres a gun show in town this weekend and i will see if i can find a lower price then the sample list. and the buys from the sample list a good deal? as in are they listed accurately?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 19:33
I live around Houston and occasionally go to the local gun shows.  Be advised: the vast majority of optics sold there is pure garbage!  Lots of NC Star, CounterSniper, Leapers, and other "tactical" junk.

There is no good <$200 tactical scope on the market.

For that rifle, 3-9 SS from SWFA, no question.  Great all-around and nothing more is needed out to 400.  Better glass beats more magnification ALWAYS.

Don't buy Leupold, too little scope for too much money.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - November/09/2010 at 19:34
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 19:57
Yessir i know there is a lot of junk there but occasionally you find good deals there. take my rifle brand-new in a sealed box from a well know dealer that i have been dealing with since the early 2000's sold it to me for $400 when everybody else (in the gun show and local shops) had it for $700 and up. so i figure the money i saved on it plus what i planned to spend on a scope i can get a Leupold or a Zeiss. i do appreciate your thoughts and opinions 
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 20:47
thats because its easier for dealers to buy 20 $50 scopes instead of 1 or 2 quality ones.  If only more people sought to educate themselves! welcome to the forum you'll learn bunches.
+1 for zeiss over the leupo.
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 21:25
I had the same gun and used it for deer hunting.  I thought the SS 3-9 was the answer but found out it didn't work well for me.  I couldn't seem to get it mounted low enough, it seemed really heavy and added quite a bit of weight to a already heavy gun, and the target knobs seemed to always be in the way.  This isn't a knock on the SS scope it is a great scope but for a hunting aplication it just didn't work for me.  I have also since got rid of the SPS tactical for the same reason.  Great gun best shooter I've ever owned but just didn't work for the hunting I do.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 22:47
what about nikon? i have heard mixed reviews on them. any thoughts on them or a model to suggest?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 07:59
Originally posted by Mr. Terror Mr. Terror wrote:

theres a gun show in town this weekend and i will see if i can find a lower price then the sample list. and the buys from the sample list a good deal? as in are they listed accurately?

The sample list is an excellent source for good quality optics at a significantly reduced price.  I have, quite literally, saved THOUSANDS of dollars purchasing from the sample list.  It's kind of like buying a new car or certified pre-owned.  There may be some that don't, but the ones I've purchased come with full factory warranty and there has not been a flaw or problem with any.  

sample list is the best deal going... anywhere.  You can get a great scope at a great price and have the backing of a reputable company...

You, generally, won't find that at a gun show...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 08:18
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

The sample list is an excellent source for good quality optics at a significantly reduced price.

sample list is the best deal going... anywhere.  You can get a great scope at a great price and have the backing of a reputable company...

You, generally, won't find that at a gun show...

Tag this one for "Understatement of the Year" Award!

Thunbs Up
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by Mr. Terror Mr. Terror wrote:

what about nikon? i have heard mixed reviews on them. any thoughts on them or a model to suggest?

I think Nikon offers more glass and good adjustments for your money in their hunting lines (those scopes other than the M223 and Monarch-X lines), however that's mostly the case with their Buckmasters series compared to say VX1 or VX2 scopes. At the higher end, the Monarchs are usually cheaper than comparable VX3s and have comparable glass, but you don't have as much choice for decent reticles,and the pricing isn't as favorable as in lower end Monarchs, the Team Primos/Monarch UCCs and Buckmasters. I'm also not as big of a fan of the BDC reticle. It's ok for big game,but not as good as simple hash marks as found on Burris' ballistic plex reticle or Vortex reticles. Those have more utility for smaller targets, and don't look as "busy" to me as Nikon's circular aiming points.

Here's a comparison to your mentioned VX3L model:
http://swfa.com/Nikon-25-10x50-Monarch-Riflescope-P42329.aspx

tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 10:43
+1 for nikon. I've used monarch's for several years now and have always had great service from them.
you hear bad reports all the time about nikon's cs, but I have never had to use it...and I dont personally know anyone who has.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Terror Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 23:39
well Cencored me i dont know what to think now! lol. i guess its all trial and error because every1 has their own opinion. im not gonna knock it because every1 has the right to their opinion so i guess its just a matter of wait and see. thanks every1 who contributed to this thread and i will take the info and use it wisely.
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 23:49
just make sure to put your eye through a conquest before you make your decision.  nikon is good too, but i think you probably get less for the same price.  if you're gonna spend $400~ definately consider the zeiss.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2010 at 06:59

I am not a nikon fan myself they have very limited elevation travel.  Make sure you factor that in with whatever scope you buy. 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic