OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CAMO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAMO
    Posted: November/07/2010 at 20:44
When it comes to camo, what pattern do you use, and why? I.E Seclusion 3D, Mossy Oak Break-Up Infinity etc...Where do you use these patterns as well.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 21:01
Realtree Hardwoods HD and I use it all over. Note...I'm a whitetail hunter.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 22:38
Yeah I'm mainly a whitetail hunter as well. Just bought some stuff in seclusion 3D and so far pretty happy with the way the print looks, seeing if anyone really liked that pattern as well. But this thread isn't about me, its more about what others use, and whether they like it or not.
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 06:30

I'm a believer in camos that have large open patterns.  Too many patterns are ok up close but have a tendancy to blend together at distances causing your outline and movements to be seen.  ASAT was developed yrs ago to counteract those problems.  Predator is another.

Expensive stuff.  So I bought BDU's in urban camo and dyed them tan.  Took the wife to the woods and did some test comparisons with other camo I had.  We found that the BDU open pattern worked best. 

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 07:45

I dont' know how many times a damn deer has run up to me and told me my camo patterns didn't match......  dang critters seem to have more fashion sense than I do.  Of course all those that did this ended up with lead poisoning too.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:00
real tree APG HD ( brighter leaf like), for bow hunting and Mossy Oak something or other ( darker and tree base like with very little green) for rifle hunting in the swamps of Ga and alabama.

I also have some older style camo (don't know the pattern) I use for hunting tall grass fields.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:38
It depends on what your hunting. Some animals are color blind so just a simple breakup of a solid color will do much like what Earl posted. Another simple pattern that works great out West is Natural Gear.

Back in the day camo clothing wasn't available when my father, Grandfather, and the rest of the guys in the hunting club used to hunt. They all used heavy duty clothing (Ben Davis) that would withstand the constant braking of brush, etc. They were all very successful hunters.

Edited by mike650 - November/08/2010 at 09:08
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:51

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:53
Just bought a bunch of Predator products. Fall Grey is arguably the best November bow hunting camo i've seen. 

Edited by shooter07 - November/08/2010 at 08:56
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 08:55
The problem with all the big names now a days, is the camo is so damn dark! The woods are NOT dark unless it's night lol. When looking up (treestand hunting) you have sky behind you. I've seen some slight improvements the past year but mossey oak, advantage etc are all still to damn dark for my taste. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:15
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

real tree APG HD ( brighter leaf like), for bow hunting and Mossy Oak something or other ( darker and tree base like with very little green) for rifle hunting in the swamps of Ga and alabama.

I also have some older style camo (don't know the pattern) I use for hunting tall grass fields.

Is it Mossy Oak Shadow Grass?

It's an older pattern but works great in the taller grass out here as well as for duck hunting. 

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:20
No it's not that pattern. I'll have to take a snap shot of it. I have never seen it before. I have has 2 pair of paint for 15 + years and never seen the pattern anywhere else
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Hatari View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hatari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:20

I hunt whitetail, and don't have the luxury of private property to hunt on so I like to be seen in the woods.

My cammo looks something like this.  Mine is the pattern browning used to sell, but this is close.  I have had several deer walk right up to me while wearing it.  I even had a bear come by me with it on once.

Its more about scent control.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:27

Guess the importance has more to do with the style of hunting you do - tree stand, ground, in a blind, stalking,  etc.

I have hunted with just a regular dark tan colour Filson coat for many years, ground stand when I do watch (no blind) or dogging with tan or darker gray pants and have not had an issue.  Maybe the dirt and blood stains over the years has become a camo pattern.

Rifle hunting in heavy hardwoods only.
God save the Empire!
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:50
I guess there is as many ideas about this subject as there is hunters.
Over here camo have never been used very much untill app 10 years ago. Never the less hunters brought back the bacon anyway, wearing old green type of hunting clothes. 
I use Mossy brake up infinity and Realtree AP, mostly because i feel good in the woods wearing camo, not so much because i am trying to be invisible. There is more to that than the clothes. 

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by Hatari Hatari wrote:

I hunt whitetail, and don't have the luxury of private property to hunt on so I like to be seen in the woods.

My cammo looks something like this.  Mine is the pattern browning used to sell, but this is close.  I have had several deer walk right up to me while wearing it.  I even had a bear come by me with it on once.

Its more about scent control.

I agree 100%.....remember the native americans didn't have elaborate camo and killed deer and other aninals regularly.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 10:36
I use whatever pattern happens to be on whatever item I buy that fulfills the purpose I want.  I don't get hung up on camo patterns.  Other than selling gear because it looks cool to the consumer, I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever what camo pattern you pick.  I don't think you should wear a sequined suit or wrap yourself in flashing Christmas lights, but I believe anything that semi-matches the colors and tones of your surroundings and breaks up your outline will work equally well.  Before the advent of all the high tech HD camo patterns, folks killed plenty of critters wearing plaid shirts and denim pants.  As long as you are still and quiet, keep the wind in your favor, and use your surroundings to hide your silhouette, you will be fine.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 12:16
I have a coat in Prairie Ghost also but I really like 3d Ghille suits

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/08/2010 at 12:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 12:21
+1
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 13:36
I also use predator camo for bow hunting. If I'm on foot, I pretty much use any and all and frequently mix patterns.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic