OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

mark 4

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mark 4
    Posted: November/06/2010 at 20:33
I am considering a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x40 with a duplex reticle for a savage 112 tact barrel 243. Can anyone give me an honest assessment on the mark 4. Owned several Leups just never a Mark 4. I don't wont a comparison to any other scope just a crash course honest assessment on the Mark 4. 

Thanks 

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 20:49
Without some comparison to other scopes it is not possible to have any benchmark or quality to compare to.  Next to a BSA or NCStarr they are awesome, Next to a Heinsoldt or U.S. Optics they suck.

The Mark 4 is one of the most widely used police and military scopes made and they stand behind their warranty which is a good thing because there have been some failures.  The glass is good but not great the adjustments are reliable. I currently own two of them and have owned a third. Would I buy another --- NO-----. Would I buy a 3-9 Super Sniper - Yes I have two and would love to have a dozen.  Would I buy a Nightforce - Yes I would spend the extra money and get one, their reputation for reliability is far better.  The other good ones are more expensive than those.  If you want a Leupold knock yourself out but when you compare 4.5-14x50 MK4 to Nightforce 3.5-15x50 remember that the 4.5 isnt really 4.5 it more like 5x according to Leupolds own catelogue.  Also noteworthy -- look at the height of the knobs and decide what will snag on everything you go past, for a bench gun no problem for a hunting or tactical gun not as good.  IOR Valdada makes a similar scope at lower price with better glass and a much nicer MP8 reticle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 21:03
Thanks for your information. I have a night force on loan and will second you claim. However its about twice the price. Herd good stuff about SS also. I will reevaluate my choices and update soon

thanks
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 03:08
The Mark 4 uses the same glass as the VX-3 but is constructed more solidly. The Nightforce weighs a lot more which won't matter if all you do is carry the rifle 20 yards from car to bench.

Unless you just want 'The Look' and you only shoot at the range, then save some dollars and weight and buy a VX-3 or Conquest. Otherwise step up to a Hensoldt and cry once (at the price).
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 09:15
Im not so sure that the glass is exactly the same between VX3 and MK4 because when they went from VXIII to VX3 they made a marked improvement in glass quality, at that time nothing was said about improving Mk4 glass. A few months ago they were talking about improving glass quality on the MK4 so they may have recently brought it up to the quality of the VX3 glass however I still suspect that it gets different coatings due to its intended purpose. The first ones with really improved glass was the VX7 line but those never caught on much I dont think. That would be a good question for a Leupold Rep if we still had one here, we used to.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 09:34
Have and use a mk4 in 6.5x20 and 4.5x14 with the tmr, and mil-dot respectively. Not sure why you want one with the duplex however. I think the new mk4s have the newer vx3 glass. Also the vx3 has the new spring system , and the mk4 use the older spring erector system, so from this point of view the vx3 is more "solid". Personally Ithink the mk4 is worth it, just to get the tmr reticle (assuming your going leo).  Ior are ok, I had to go through 4 send backs to get one that was mediocre - but what the heck leo and ior use the same postal service.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 09:36
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

- but what the heck leo and ior use the same postal service.

Laugh Above
Doug
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:50
I will say that I like the covered knobs on the 40mm model they have a nice crisp feel to the clicks and feel better to me than the M1 knobs on mine.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Code4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Code4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 16:01
I recently asked Leupold about the differences between the VX3 and Mark 4. here is the reply from a Dan LOZA of Leupold.

John,

only difference between the Mark 4 and VX-3 is the Mark 4 is built little stronger, more durable and little more material. Same glass

Regards,

---- Original Message ----

Sir/Madam,

Could you please tell me if there is much difference between the VX-3 and Mark 4 model rifle scopes.

Do they use different lenses ?
Are the adjustment turrets different ?

Yours faithfully,

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 17:20
leo advertizes the "twin-bias system" in the vx, I don't think the mks have this. I have no idea what a little stronger, more durable, means, coming from leupold I know even less.
Yogi Bera

jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 20:56
DC, i was looking at the duplex because im going to use the scope in more of a hunting situation. I like this mildot, but its not really necessary. I wont the 4.5x14x40 with 30mm tube with target knobs, but few optics companies offer this arrangement.I own a vx 3 4.5x14x40 and really like the set up. wish the swaro Ph i bought recently was offered in the same config. I know my Leups, just never delt with the mark 4. Not a Bushnell fan so its out. Like conquest also, but no 30 mm tube id have to jump up to victory. Love my Swarovski but i need a higher power without the 50mm objective. this particular savage have the short tactical barrel ive seen tons of the savage lrvp with the 26 inch barrel but never with the 22 inch heavy barrel. I guess SS is kinda creeping u my list. wish i could handle one before i bought it. Thanks everyone for the informative posts
Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 06:49
"That would be a good question for a Leupold Rep if we still had one here, we used to. "

Would be like being a christian in a mosque
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 07:06
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

leo advertizes the "twin-bias system" in the vx, I don't think the mks have this. I have no idea what a little stronger, more durable, means, coming from leupold I know even less.

Dale, it is like the soap powder adds...new and improved, now washes whiter then white. 

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 08:58
Thats exactly right. I don't know how many leos I have most are vx 3 (in what ever year they change the 3 to letters/roman) and have broke or didn't work sent back (including a prismatic). I have 3 mk4 and 2 of them were sent back, so as a proportion, the mk4 isn't doing to well. Still like them alot and use them. (they are just sport optics) So when a leo rep says the mk4 is more durable I have no idea what that means.
Yogi Bera

Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 12:05
UPS and the Postal Service must thank god everyday for Leupold's warrantee or both would have gone belly up decades ago
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 12:10
Laugh Above
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 13:17
I guess, I am one of the lucky ones, as I haven't had the problems that some have had.
I have 4 of the VX-3's LR/T's and a couple of Mark 4's.
Work good for me and I use them from short to long-range.

Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 21:03
I have owned probably a dozen Leupold scopes over the past 20 years. mostly the older vari x iii and the more recent vx models. only ever remember sending one scope back for a tracking problem. Maby you guys are rougher on them on shoot heavier calibers or something. Dont get me wrong i use my equipment. Im my personal experience they have tended to be tough scopes. Just sought more info on the Mark 4 because of my lack of knowledge or experience with one. I have an old steel tube steiner penetrator though and its built like a Sherman tank.  Im going tomorrow to look at a z5. Its significantly higher, but if i like it i may scoop one up off the sample list. WAAaaYY over priced at the local gun shop.       
marksman300 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marksman300 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 22:26
I've been unfortunate to not want to pony up $1300 on a well abused L&S Ultra M3A that was missing everything like box, scope covers, sun shade, extra bdc rings etc! I thought $900 was steep but some young whipper snapper jumped in and won the thing. I felt bad at first but no way in hell should anyone pay $1300 for a hardcore used scope serialed from 1989 with no decent assescories going with, just a scope without scope covers rattling around in a shipping box! Loco
I know it was an ultra and an M3a to boot, still a waste of money if you ask me!

That rant being said, the origional Ultra series scopes were the best of the breed for Leupold and are somewhat rare now. The Mk4 name change I don't know if it was significant but through the 90s, the military usage of mk4s was for a reason-a real good scope. The Britts used the very excellent(for the time) S&B PMseries1 scopes though 6X is a little low(cool green paint job though!) My point is three things work against Leupold
A) Other brands catch-up and probably surpass Leupold
B)Leupold quality suffers somewhat because inflation makes it hard to keep prices fixed per the same quality as before
3) Why the hell did Leupold take the VXIIITactical line and rename them Mark4? The origional mk4s are a bit different and a bit better to say the least!
single shot nestalgia
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic