OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Custom Bolt Actions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Custom Bolt Actions?
    Posted: November/22/2005 at 12:46
For my next rifle project, I would like to use one of the custom bolt actions out there and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I am leaning toward the Ed Brown 702 action. Others were the McMillan and the HS Precision 2000 in the push feed design. I have several rifles built on Remington 700 actions, however, buy the time a gunsmith gets done with " truing" and other features such as a Sako extractor, fluting, trigger work and custom bottom metal, it is probably a better idea to go custom from the start. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated and welcome. It wll be chambered in 300 WM for a working mans type gun with a McMillan stock and probably a Hart SS barrel in a # 4 contour.
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2005 at 17:28

http://www.viperactions.com/

I heard this guy is making a repeater now.  I think he is an engineer with Raytheon.  Local guys say his action is tops.  Might be worth giving him a call.

Shilen has also turned things around this year after Doug Shilen sold his interest back to the family and Ed came back.

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2005 at 17:40
 I like and use these,  Dakota-Neiska, Cooper and their stocks. Also I prefer Kreiger and Leija (sp.) barrels but it is hard to beat Hart.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2005 at 21:17
Thanks Dale. I almost forgot about the Nesika Bay actions. When Cooper makes a repeater, I will be one of the first on line. If it is anything like the Custom Classic 57M that I own it will put a hurtin on Kimber. I agree with your barrel reccomendations also. Hart barrels are great, but, they are not the only game in town. What about Shilen?
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2005 at 15:14
It use to be that Douglas was the only game going, Shilen (got their spurs) in benchrest shooting before some of the newer names (Shilen hanger triggers are still some of the best). Frankly, I think it depends more on the smith that is doing the chambering and setting the head space. We have taken stock remington barrels (throw aways but still good of course) cut them back, correctly chambered (new reamer), target crown, and this important, correctly cleaned them and have gotten as good as results as the high price spread. But it seems that when people are building a rifle, the couple of extra hundred for a new name brand barrel is better than something old, used, and a certain amount of risk.
dilligaf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dilligaf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2005 at 16:10

Go to http://www.gaprecision.net G.A. Precision. George builds a 700 called the rock. I have seen these rifles shoot under 1/4 moa.

Joe 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic