OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

A Question For Expensive Optic Owners...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 04:28
+1 with Jono.

I hunted with a Tasco 1,5-5 x 20 for years (yes I really did!!!). I mostly hit what I aimed at inside 300yds. I also made a few incredible shots out a little further.

Today I use better scopes and I am amazed as to why I originally bought the Tasco. Would I take the Tasco to a field competition? Not if I want to be a serious competitor!!!

Do I shoot better then I did with the Tasco? For hunting probably not, but for targets out beyond the point blank range definately yes.

Edited by 8shots - November/09/2010 at 04:32
teach yang View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teach yang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 04:47
Excellent
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 08:48
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Im still not sold. Most of my equipment is geared towards hunting and most of that is used at night for hogs. When im looking for hogs Im using my binoculars. When I spot one, that I think is a good boar, the challenge isnt finding him in the scope, its getting the crosshairs on him.  Ive never had a 2500.00 Swarovski with illuminated crosshairs to try this with, but im betting that at best its a hair better than my Trijicon. Its certainly not 1500.00 better. I dont deer hunt often, but to me, it would be the same except you also would have legal issues. If you find the deer in your binoculars, but cant see him through your scope, then likely, its past legal shooting hours anyway. Im assuming You have good, if not great equipment here. say, Zeiss Conquest or comparable. A scope with thick crosshairs is an advantage when shooting in low light but at the same time, its an enemy when you mostly punch paper. I could be wrong, as Im not a target shooter but I doubt if a more expensive scope would make me a better shot. I agree with RifleDude. Id rather have two good rifles with good optics than one great rifle with great optics.

I maintain that the Accupoint is the best overall hunting scope you can get when you factor in price and performance, i.e., the value prop.

Great glass, great ill ret system, reliable
You make a very valid point, would a top line Zeiss, Swaro, S&B, Kahles, etc.. enable a shot that the Trijicjon would not be able to take?

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 08:52
use the 2x12 swaro in deep (dark) timber at day break for elk in the yellowstone area, most shots around 50 yds, if you can see that far., On 2 power (which is why I got the scope, not long range shots) its better than a bunch of other stuff I've ever used. I can understand not wanting to go that much for a scope-- but on the other hand it has a unique set of characteristics.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by supertool73

Spoken by two guys who obviously don't own a Z6.  Wink

I used to have the same opinion, but now that I have one, I realized they really are a lot better. 

Optically a Trijicon is pretty nice.  But when comparing it next to my Swaro, it is like comparing a Trijicon to a $50 Tasco World Class.  They really are that nice.

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

use the 2x12 swaro in deep (dark) timber at day break for elk in the yellowstone area, most shots around 50 yds, if you can see that far., On 2 power (which is why I got the scope, not long range shots) its better than a bunch of other stuff I've ever used. I can understand not wanting to go that much for a scope-- but on the other hand it has a unique set of characteristics.

Like Supertool says "They are that nice".
Dale is hunting where the difference really shows. In the heavy cover. This is where the better contrast will let you see the game that will walk right on by if you have the lesser scope. You can see through the forest to see the game. Hunting in a bean field most any scope that holds zero will do just fine. When you are in cover you better have the better glass or you can't see whats in the forest for the trees.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 16:13

Nope, I dont own one. How about explaining what shot that scope can make that a Trijicon cant and how owning one would allow me to take a shot that I wouldnt be able to take with a typical mid priced scope? Im sure they are a bit sharper, Ive looked through them at my local dealer. They are bright, contrasty. Im sure they are well built. Are they worth the money? Not to me. Id rather spend it on ammo.

Spoken like someone who has never used a high-end optic during adverse conditions.  Comparing scopes at the sporting goods store is close to useless.  Although, I would note that if you did see a difference at the sporting goods counter, that difference would be magnified dramatically in the field.  A toilet paper roll with string for a reticle looks passable at the store under the florescent lights, or even outside in the bright sunshine.  Where good glass shines is what it looks into, and seemingly through.  I have a Hensoldt 6-24X72.  I never before have been able to see the mirage and see through it at the same time.  The same principle applies to all obstructions that are translucent.  My Hensoldt would pick out a hog at night that you couldn’t see with a mid-priced scope.  The image is a very definite WOW.  Additionally, the Hensoldt line is built to Mil-spec standards.  The Hensoldt distributer likens the Hensoldt to a Zeiss on steroids.  The Hensoldt also has different, harder, lens coatings than their Zeiss cousins.  It’s a tougher coating and improves on the Zeiss Victory image (which I thought was impossible to do).  High-end glass has all kinds of advantages no matter what you’re using it for.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 16:53
Tejas does have a point though. You could spend so much on the equipment that you just plain have to work to pay for it instead of spending time (and money saved) on expending ammo at the range. IMO, if you're going to spend the money on high-end glass or a super-accurate rifle, make sure you're committed to it. Otherwise, try to outgrow what you have. That's easy if it's a tupperware stocked rifle with a $80 scope. It's harder if it's a $600 rifle with a $400 Zeiss Conquest 3-9X.

Reaction time is a factor...
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 19:54
Obviously I cant convince all of You who own mult-thousand dollar scopes that You wasted your money. Im not trying to. Dale gave a real-life example in his post above about why he needs his particular scope.  Makes sense to me. I dont hunt that area and rarely hunt at that time of day. I dont know if my Trijicons or Conquests can make those shots. Probably depends a whole lot on eyeballs as well as optics. For the hunting I do, which is mostly at night, under a big moon in the South Texas brush country, My equipment is more than up to the task. 
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 00:41
So Apostle...........?????????????????

Time to pitch in!!!!!!!!!!

Are expensive scopes worth the money?????????????

You cannot light the fire and then run away!!!!
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 08:31
We're beating a dead horse here. It depends on your use. Is it worth paying more for diminishing returns? Yes to some people. Is it critical the scope performs at the very last moments towards sundown? Or are you going to be sitting on a bench rest, target shooting in the afternoon always in nice conditions. Worth is something you need to define for yourself
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 11:27
Originally posted by grimreaper21 grimreaper21 wrote:

We're beating a dead horse here. It depends on your use. Is it worth paying more for diminishing returns? Yes to some people. Is it critical the scope performs at the very last moments towards sundown? Or are you going to be sitting on a bench rest, target shooting in the afternoon always in nice conditions. Worth is something you need to define for yourself

yep..
I used to own a custom bike shop, we sold lots of 6K mountain bikes
to me, they were and are worth every penny
if you can't appreciate or need that level of quality then don't spend the money on one..

the "value" proposition is something only "you" can make

Sort of like a full custom rifle, I have a Remington LTR with a jewell trigger that will do 1/2" 300 yard groups... I would be HARD pressed to spend 3x more for a full custom

Edited by ccoker - November/10/2010 at 11:28

grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 11:59
Yeah good points, I find it applies to just about every purchase decision you can make regardless of the hobby. You can buy a corvette that goes 0-60 in 4 seconds for $60,000. You can buy a ferrari that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds for $250,000. Is it worth it? Obviously there are other factors than just 0-60, but that's up to the buyers mind.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 16:04

It always comes down to a personal choice.  We are so blessed in this country that most don’t realize how good we have it.  When a new shooter comes onto this forum, or another forum, and asks, honestly, which optic he should buy for his new rifle, I do a little mini-celebratory dance.  There are so many good options that the choices literally overwhelm a new shooter.  If you venture off into custom rifles the same holds true; there is a dizzying array of good, competent gunsmiths to choose from.  There are a handful of great ones.  It all comes down to two things: Personal choice and practice.  Once you have your rig assembled, remember: You can’t buy equipment that will substitute for trigger time.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 16:08
True, we all know that a $500 Savage and a $300 Nikon, Bushnell, etc.. will work fine for 95 % of the hunters 95% of the time...

Guns, scopes and ammo ARE a lot better than they used to be
today, it's expected to have a 1MOA (or better) off the shelf rifle, 20-30  years ago, that wasn't the case

The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:22
Originally posted by Code4 Code4 wrote:

What are those? They are shaped like the Javelinas we have in South Texas but the coloring is different.

Mature African Bush Pigs. Taken in the NW of South Africa.

The ones in Australia aren't good enough for ya???...

Edited by The Apostle - November/20/2010 at 20:40
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 20:27
Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Can't answer that one yet as i've never looked thru or used a Swarovski or Zeiss bino or scope...yet!

John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2010 at 23:29
Originally posted by The Apostle The Apostle wrote:

Originally posted by 8shots 8shots wrote:

Can't answer that one yet as i've never looked thru or used a Swarovski or Zeiss bino or scope...yet!

So why ask the members on this forum the question, if only you can decide if it is worth the money?

We have debated this question that you asked at length, so based on the question you asked and the answers you received : Are they worth the money?
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 05:43
As many have said, it depends a lot of the way one hunts, and what kind of game.
For many years I hunted only moose, and Leupold scopes did the job well enough.
They were rugged, dependable and the price was right.

After I took up red deer and roe deer hunting which is done mostly at dusk and dawn as well hunting at night with good moon light, the Leopolds dont do the trick any longer.

So for me hunting deer, only top of the line scopes work.
They give me meet in the freezer and because of that,  are well worth the money!
I ended up with Zeiss Victory scopes and especially the 3-12x56 with illuminated reticle made night to day so to speak.

(but on my moose rifle for day time hunting, I still have an old Vari X III 2,5-8x36 as a trusty back up sight Big Smile )

Seawolf
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 13:26

JLud, your mustang is a nice enough auto but since I've driven both I think I'll keep my Carrera if you don't mind. See, it's not only about speed, it's about handling, breaking, body lines.....It's about quality not quantity, i.e. number of ponies. It's about perfection so I completely understand those who shell out the big bucks for a fine scope. Like it or not one must pay for perfection.

Edited by gcp - November/26/2010 at 13:39
gcp
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2010 at 22:03
Lookit that Toyota truck!!!!    They don't sell them in America.......    Whatever

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic