OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Bag??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Bag??
    Posted: November/06/2010 at 00:02
Just wondering how people transport their scopes to the range. Currently I still place it in the box my scope came with and put into a large Alice Ruck. The box is bulky, but I want to protect my turrets on my scope. Can anyone suggest anything else. So far in my search I cam across a scope bag made by Larue Tacitcal ( $55.95 large):

Thanks.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 11:33
Scope bag or scope cover?

You take your scope off the rifle (this is the rifle scope section) every time you go home? Wow.  You are either very rough on gear or are assuming your gear ain't as tough as it really is.

If you have a tactical scope that "needs" to be removed for transport, seriously consider throwing it in the trash and buying a much better scope.

My guess is you are being overly protective.  Though "tactical scope" means little now, at the very least it still means tough (except for Leupold, but they do have that fast return service when it breaks) so taking the scope off each time you go to the range is not remotely necessary.

TAB gear makes good scope covers, I would recommend them.

Not trying to be an a$$, but taking the scope off each time seems very unnecessary - not to mention the possibility of running into a horde of zombies on the way home, then you're hosed.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 17:32
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

ot trying to be an a$$, but taking the scope off each time seems very unnecessary - not to mention the possibility of running into a horde of zombies on the way home, then you're hosed.

Well...there is that, I guess.  Stare 
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 18:27
I put my rifle in a  storm case for transpotation anywhere.I'ts the same case the armed forces use for their rifle transportation.I purchased only one but they are worth every penny I paid.

Would you buy a $1500 scope & put a $40 set of rings on it?I don't know why people skimp on protecting their glass.

Sounds like a lot of work sierra & you chance taking the scope out of zero ever time you take the scope off,that is unless you have a $150 set of rings.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 20:59
You mean you guys have rifles that you put your scopes on.  I just use a SCOPE BAG Here is a photo of mine.  Just take some old bluejeans and fill the legs with corn . Your there.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 21:05
Buy a Pelican Case built for a scoped rifle leave the scope on the rifle where it belongs.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 22:09
I transport my scopes to the range on my rifles, on the back seat of the pickup.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:08
Pelican & Storm cases are the same.Pelican bought out Storm about 2 yrs ago!
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:31
The blue jean bag is cheaper.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 07:32
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

The blue jean bag is cheaper.
Laugh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 09:53
Only if you don't use JordashWink
sierra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sierra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 01:40
My rifle bag (Condor 46 inch with 3 external pockets) can not accommodate my rifle with my scope mounted on it, the bag does not close because the combination of rifle and scope is too high.   After much thought I am thinking about getting a hard case like a Pelican just in case I do travel with my rifle.  Yes I know about losing zero every time I take my scope off.   Thanks for the replies.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 08:17
Originally posted by sierra sierra wrote:

Yes I know about losing zero every time I take my scope off. 

Actually, there are several brands of QD rings where you don't lose zero when you take the scope off/ mount it on.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 10:39
Where does a guy get corn in Iowa?!?

I put a neoprene scope cover over mine (ScopeShields are good, esp. because of the sewn-on strap). It's not likely, but I hate the thought of removing a scope from the rifle and having any chance of it changing zero when remounted.
Reaction time is a factor...
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 10:53
Finding corn in Iowa right now is a matter of looking inside large metal containers its been dry and nice weather so all of it is out of the field where last year a lot of it did not get harvested due to rain.  It does make it a little tough hunting the edge of the field now because there is little reason for the deer to come out of the timber along the rivers. It was an absolutely beautiful day to be out in the woods this morning about 60 degrees clear blue sky little wind clear water the leaves were not real crunchy so after sitting in the stand for a while I walked along the river bank for about a mile in each direction noting the deer crossings.  Stand is in a good place a pinch point where there is only about 50 yds from the river to the field. I saw several nice scrapes and I popped up three does but the big bucks are hiding from me.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 12:16
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Pelican & Storm cases are the same.Pelican bought out Storm about 2 yrs ago!

My Storm and my Pelican have different latches on them. And I prefer the latches on my Storm. I guess it is a good thing I purchased my Storm when I did.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2010 at 15:36
I agree Sparky,that's why Pelican bought out Storm as they couldn't compete at there price.All in all both great cases.Wish I could afford a Halliberton,now were talking big buckaroosBig Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic