OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me spend ~$1000! Best bet for a Grendel?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me spend ~$1000! Best bet for a Grendel?
    Posted: November/05/2010 at 09:31
My goal is to whittle down my collection for more quality and functionality, I'd like a single semi-auto rifle to target shoot and hunt with, that's half MOA under 600 yards.  After looking around I like the 6mmAR-T40, but the fact I can't load my own ammo means I need to go commercial so the 6.5 Grendel looks great, and I've always liked Alexander Arms.

This will be my first high-dollar scope purchase so I wanted to consult you guys (who I regard as being some of the most knowledgeable out there) to be sure I got the best value for my money.  I will be hunting small/medium sized game in FL, and shooting primarily 100/300 yards but at times out to 600, and maybe see if I can hit some gongs at 1000 just for fun a couple times a year. 

I've been looking at the Leupold Mk4 LR/T 6.5-20X50mm and the Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS, although it looks like it'll be much harder to find the Nightforce for less than $1400/1500.  I've seen a lot of people recommend Vortex scopes, and I'm always a fan of spending less $ if I don't have to spend a ton, but I've sold a couple of my other toys, and can afford to buy the right thing the first time here, assuming the right thing is a scope of that quality level. 

Thank you all very much for your input, looking forward to your responses.

Have a good weekend!

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 09:46
Personally, I think you are going to high on the magnification and getting too big and heavy of a scope as well given that you will be wanting to use it for hunting at closer distances

I would be looking 16x at the very top end
14-15 would be plenty
Will you be hunting into very low light or using on hogs at night, i.e., do you need illumination?

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 09:52
Illumination- no, I know that 6 is getting high for the low end of magnification for hunting.  I was considering installing a secondary optic (like a baby holo-dot) for close range hunting shots in case something got too close...

For the 300+ yard shots, wouldn't it be good to have 20x magnification vs 14?  I target shoot much more than I hunt, but I wouldn't want to miss a shot because of a reduced FOV.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 12:23
I've been shotting @ 700 yds with my 6.5-20X50 viper flawlessly. I'm really happy with my purchase and I think it's a good option if you're a fan of saving money. I ordered a Viper PST that I'm waiting to be released, maybe that one hits exactly the target price you're looking for and with all the features you need for the use you want to give it. I would recommend the 4-16X50 FFP. The thing with the PST is that they're not on the market yet so if you're in a hurry you'll have to look another way. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 21:07
For the ranges you are looking at 14x with decent quality glass is plenty. 

If you can wait for a couple of months, your best option is probably something like this:

It will cover both of your purposes pretty well and the magnification range is just right.

If you really insist on more magnification this scope is a very nice choice:

For a little less money, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42 with target turrets is a good choice.

On the slightly more expensive end, try this one:

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 21:55
You know, you're lucky because you at least want to keep your shooting under 600 yards. So many guys ask about a scope they can do everything with and target shoot/varmint hunt out to 700+ yards. The only scopes great for short-to-long range all cost well over $1400. They're 4X or less on the low end and 15-18 on the high end. But you could seriously do what you want to do with a 2.5-10, 3-12 or 4-16. That will save you some dough.

I'd go with any of Koshkin's recommendations but would, if possible, wait for the Vortex to come out.
Reaction time is a factor...
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 01:00
that viper has one sick reticle! I would be waiting for that one for sure.  What do you think is easier to use between the MIL and MOA reticles?  I guess which one would be easier to guess distance without calculations. 
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 05:46
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

If you can wait for a couple of months, your best option is probably something like this:

ILya

Thanks!!  People really seem to like the Viper's on here, which speaks volumes for the scopes, what's the difference between the one you listed and this one?

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44565.aspx

They appear to both be PST's 4-16x50, just curious.  If you guys think a viper is a better bet for me than a leupy, I'm viper all the way!!
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 06:06
Also what is the consensus on the bushy 6500 tactical scopes?  They have one that seems like it could do everything I need (4.5-30x50), also one more suited for hunting (2.5-16x42), and they're well under $1k.  is the Viper substantially better?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 08:11

You seem to be all over the board on this so starting with the rifle before you select consider the FNAR in .308 one of the guys here bought one recently and was quite pleased with the accuracy of it.  Next I would recommend that you consider limiting the size of the optic to something like Koshkin suggested and avoid the Jumbo scopes like 5.5-22x56 NF and 6.5-20x50 Leupold which has very tall target knobs which tend not to be hunting friendly as every tree you pass wants to readjust them for you.  Quite frankly there is a lot to be said for a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 with the Z800 reticle.  One of the house favorites is the 3-9x42 Super Sniper at $599. its a moderately sized scope and well able to do what you are wanting to do. As for the Bushnell 6500 the high end is reported to be so so. The Viper PST looks quite nice but it it not currently available and Koshkin is one of few that have seen it so if you can wait it is a fine choice. There is currently a good value on a 2.5-10 Nightforce on Samplelist which would be a fine choice in a fairly compact scope in a power range that would be very good for what you want to do but may not appeal to your desire to have the super magnification that you have mentioned.  What you may not have a good feel for at this point is that too large and bulky of an optic on a semi auto makes for a whopping big system. Most guys hunting want a nice lightweight mountain rifle and a  scope with a low end or 1.5 to 2.5 or at the most 3.5  One other  thing is that semi auto guns with their hi capacity magazines are better suited to rapid acquisition of multiple targets so in reality a scope like a Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x or a 3-9x  is a better choice especially for shots inside 300 yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
grimreaper21 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grimreaper21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 09:35
Originally posted by AskDrTodd AskDrTodd wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Thanks!!  People really seem to like the Viper's on here, which speaks volumes for the scopes, what's the difference between the one you listed and this one?

http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Viper-PST-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44565.aspx

They appear to both be PST's 4-16x50, just curious.  If you guys think a viper is a better bet for me than a leupy, I'm viper all the way!!
First Focal Plane, I don't own one but it definately sounds sweet, if i was spending that on a scope i would want it.  Here is a terrible video (and the only one i could find) that somewhat shows how it works.  I think it basically keeps your mildots consistant at all magnification ranges.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdFE-AlPWpI
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 09:43
I have three scopes that are First Focal Plane one Leupold Mk4 and two of the 3-9 Super Snipers. At the lowest magnification the reticle looks pretty small and logically if you were mil dot rangeing a known size object you would use one of the higher powers but where it really becomes sweet is that you can use the mil dots like a balistic reticle for known hold over and it will work at any power so when the light gets near dark and you need to dial down to around 6 power to brighten the image your hold over marks will still be  useable for known distnace hold over.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 07:13
I'm pretty sold on the Viper PST FFP 4-16x50.  Worst case scenario, if hunting with it becomes difficult you guys on here will end up getting it gently used for a great deal!  Big Smile

I'm pretty sure 95% of shots will be at paper, and I'll probably be taking those at 300-600 yards, to see what I can do with the grendel platform. 

Now the big question: when does the scope become available?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 15:38

I'm pretty sure 95% of shots will be at paper, and I'll probably be taking those at 300-600 yards, to see what I can do with the grendel platform. 

There's your answer...
Buy what works for you for 90 % of the time and suck it up the rest
Primary use should dictate your choice.

Trying to get one that will cover the entire spectrum of uses will leave you broke and frustrated!
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 17:46
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

There's your answer...
Buy what works for you for 90 % of the time and suck it up the rest
Primary use should dictate your choice.

Trying to get one that will cover the entire spectrum of uses will leave you broke and frustrated!

True.  Plus the hunting I would do would probably be from a rest of some sort, not so much trudging around, so I think a 4-16 tactical scope should do the trick for the time being.  I'll keep an eye out for the new vipers, I want!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 07:12
I just put a SS 3-9 on my grendel this weekend and love it. 
AskDrTodd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AskDrTodd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 14:59
soooo... when do the new vipers come out?  December?  For sure?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 15:06

soooo... when do the new vipers come out?  December?  For sure?
There is no definate date yet.  No guarantee they will even be out in 2010.  If i had to put money on it I'd say Feb 11' but i ain't a bettin' man
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic