OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

HENSOLDT vs SCHMIDT & BENDER PM II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HENSOLDT vs SCHMIDT & BENDER PM II
    Posted: November/04/2010 at 16:35
I would like to know your opinion regarding the advantages and disadvantages of these two scopes as far as long range shooting.
There might be some other alternatives of interest, which I gladly take into consideration, but I focused mainly on these two ones:

Hensoldt 4-16x56, 6-24x56 or eventually 6-24x72 vs Schmidt & Bender PM II 5-25x56

I am mainly interested in the mechanics, but also in how you experience the optic differences of the two.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 01:23
I am in the process of doing a comparison review (follow up on the original High End Tactical article) that includes 4-16x56 Hensoldt and 4-16x50 S&B PMII.  

I'll let you know how it goes.

ILya
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 03:49
Thank you! I will be definitely looking forward to it.
Until then, I will happily listen to whatever, other owners of the above mentioned scopes, could advice me.
CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 15:29
I can only comment based on what I have read, since I own a scope comparable to an S&B but not to a Hensoldt. Hensoldts are supposed to have the best sight picture. But beyond that, I'd say it would be  hard sell for me to spend the additional dough over an S&B, Premier, USO or NF. Ultimately, with uber-scopes, you need to find the right balance between various features, such as glass quality, eye relief, mag range, sight picture, available elevation, knob style (features like zero-stop, multi-tactile-clicks, number of turns), reticle options, illumination, weight and size. Some combination available in a particular scope will best fit your usage goals. But rarely will anything be perfect.
Reaction time is a factor...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 21:10
If you plan to spend that much $$, play with them before you buy.

First, I absolutely hate >20X scopes, doubt I'll ever own one again unless I set up a dedicated 1,000+ yard gun. Too limited field of view, too much reticle movement (for anything but very long range and dedicated bench guns.)

S&B makes a very good scope, nice optics, good mechanics, a little too much tunnel effect for my liking.

In rankings optics, I'd put Hensoldt on top, followed (closely, but still followed) by Premier, followed by S&B - then on down from there.  Premier makes a damn fine optic (great mechanicals.)  A few years ago, it was a no-brainer, now I'd look hard, but have a difficulty not ponying for the Hensoldt.

Hensoldt is - quite plainly - the tits.  The glass is fantastic, clearity is edge-to-edge, the sight picture is very easy to acquire, eye box is very forgiving, and mechanicals are spot-on.  I've run boxes out past 300 yards on Premier and Hensoldt and perfect is perfect. (I've run them at 100 too, but I like long shot boxes: fire, adjust, fire , adjust, fire, adjust...  If there is a problem, even a small problem in the mechanical reliability or click value, it shows up FAST.)

If you want "the best", in my opinion, that is Hensoldt.  If you want, "the best for $2500 or thereabouts", Premier will save you a few $$ and still be amazing.  (If it comes down to S&B and Premier, my vote is Premier every time: made here, fixed here, built like a tank.)

I hear good things bout the Vortex Razor as a less $$ alternative, cannot comment as I have not run one yet.  It will definitely save you some money.

Be advised: not buying what you want will invariably cost more - as you will probably lose money and definitely lose time as you sell what you got to buy what you want later.  Save now, spend when you can, buy what you want.

Hope that helps.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Tranan View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tranan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 14:31
Thanks @Rancid and @JonoMT. You follow my line of thoughts. A scope that costs that much money must be seriously analyzed before buying which is why I wanted to hear some of you guys' opinions as well.
What you mentioned about Premier, is certainly so and I kinda had it as an alternative as well. The problem is that I am a real "optics masturbator" which means that if the optics are not as close to perfect as they could be, well let me put it this way, it would feel like watching Avatar on poor downloaded CAM versions, if you get my point.
On the other hand, optics without mechanics is like a good looking woman with no brains. It makes your life a living hell and it embarrasses you in front of your pals.

Spontaneously I was into Hensoldt because of the optics and the rock hard reputation but on the other hand, it is not for nothing that the PM II has dominated the sniper world for so many years.
The money is not necessarily a problem, but if I can get the same quality for less bucks I would prefer using the change for a trip to the Bahamas instead.

CHARLIE DON'T SURF!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 18:12
If you aren't putting a Hensoldt and a Premier side-by-side in comparison, I doubt you'd ever feel the optic wasn't up to the shot at hand.  I've never heard anyone look through my Premier and say, "Yea, it's OK, but it's no Hensoldt." 

There are many reasons S&B got the USMC contract, and some are for reasons non-military people would never comprehend.  It is a good scope, times change, there are now better scopes at better prices.

I have compared Hensoldt and Premier side-by-side (have a 3-12 Hensoldt and 3-15 Heritage) and the optics are damn near identical - the primary difference is the ease with which the sight picture comes up on the Hensoldt.  Premier does not, by any stretch, have a bad sight picture, it just isn't as easy and as "perfect" as Hensoldt's.

Again, get what you want, else you will be buying again - or you will just live on wondering what might have been.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic