OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the WORST brandname scope you have owned?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is the WORST brandname scope you have owned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 08:52
Bushnell Banner 6-18x50. would not hold zero. Not enough adjustment. Sent it back to be fixed, not sure if it is totally fixed. traded it for a handi rifle. 
savage 110 viper-stolen
savage 93r17 crossfire 6-20x50 stolen
NEF single shot 12ga-recovered
stevens ranger 12ga double barrels-stolen
Win 1400 shotgun
Ultra slug hunter sightron 3-9x44-recovered
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 08:56
I'm going to have to defend BSA... I have a Sweet .22 that is as good as I could hope for.  I spent all of $40.00 on it.  It was a pleasant surprise, but it has been a prime asset in eliminating varmints and crows from my property.  The BDC is great with 40 grain LR, I've never tried anything else.  
You can't condemn everything just because you got a bad one.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 09:25

+1!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 12:26
A 4x Tasco. After some shots the left side of the reticle got lower than the right.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 13:45
Half to say it was teh Sommons blazer that came on my very first Savage, a 270Win.  Wouldn't hold zero, period!

Have to say I have a BSA 223 sweet and have been very pleasantly surprised!  She lived on my Savage 12BTV for quite a while and now sits on my AR15 and still doing it!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

gose View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 17:09
Millet DMS.
TruthNtime View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 19:06

I dont think I would sink any serious money into any BSA, but I too have a sweet .22 3-9 and I am surprised at how functional it is... pretty clear and crisp for the dollars I spent on it.  I have a Konus Pro 1-4 30mm job who's reticle took a left turn to 10 O'clock after 43 rounds on an Arsenal 7.62 AK.

I have to admit, It could have been the cheapy aluminum rings, maybe ... I havent figured it out yet, still need to send it off to waranty.  Great posts all, good stories!
Robert.
Your rights, use them or loose them!
tntxfour View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tntxfour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 19:09
I had a Simmons scope on a 7mm Mag rifle that went through 3 crosshairs before I trashed it.  Simmons fixed/replaced the scope each time but I would never buy another.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 19:39
Yup Simmons. +1.
The Apostle View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Apostle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 01:01
A Tasco World Class 3-9x40 w/ Illum Ret and a cheap Chinese knock off of the Tasco...bought them both on Ebay about 10 years back...need I say anymore...

Also owned a few Nikko Stirlings as well (new and 2nd hand)...

Will never pay under $500 dollars Australian for a scope again...not unless its a Weaver Classic Rimfire 4x28 or a Bushnell Elite 3200...
John Howard: "We will find any means we can to further restrict them because I hate guns...ordinary citizens should not have weapons. We do not want the American disease imported into Australia"...
WYcoyote View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WYcoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 19:32
As the first responder stated, a Vari-X II Leupold 2x7 (in their defense a 1980 or so).
Was like looking thru a toilet paper tube.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2010 at 20:49
Anyone ever owned one of those BSA sweet 17 scopes with the rubberized finish?? will let me till u the crap will peel and your scope will feel like its been wrapped in duct tape and then removed.  
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 08:24
The VariX-II 2-7 I had was terrible also. It looked like there was milk on the lenses. All the other Leupolds I have bought, I've kept.
Ditto on a fixed 6X Leapers I had. The glass was poor.
I have to add that some of my best scopes have been Leupold.

Edited by tahqua - November/07/2010 at 09:34
Doug
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 09:17
Alright I have to now change my original statement that the worst scope was a Simmons blazer.  I was at the range yesterday and a guy shows up with a brand new Remy 700 package gun in 308.  Looked nice with heavy matte barrel and scope that had "R" on the caps.  I'm guessing it was a remy re-label and not Redfield.  It was awful! Like looking thru the bottom of a old coke bottle.
It was near impossible to get a full sight picture and when you finally did there was no eye relief.

The guy got kissed on the 2nd shot and was bleeding.  After about 8 shots none of them on paper I asked to see it.  I had loaned them my Bushy borescope tool and when I looked the sight was set 2ft low 11 inches right.  I adjusted it fired one shot...still not on paper re-sighted with borescope and everything had shifted big time.  Another shooter had a real nice benchrest and laser casings.
He strapped the 308 down and laser sighted.  Adjusted  scope to match.  Fired 3 rounds and they were on paper and grouped well but the scope crosshairs were never in the same place twice after firing it.  What a piece of junk!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 10:43
Ya pays yer money and makes a choice on some of these. Seriously, I m amazed that some work just fine and other fallinto pieces while you look at em. I have a Simmons pckage scope on a Savage package 7 mag and its going strong past 100 rds. Ive also had the croshairs vanish on the 3rd shot of 308. One other, cant remember brand name disintegrated internally on the first shot of 7 mauser. Iput a Barska on a spring airgun 2 years ago and its still goin' strong. Worst out of the box was aN RWS labelled airgun scope, probably made by blind industries in Turkey, that was like looking thru 3 shower curtains.
Mike G View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 15:12
Bushnell 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 15:29

A friend of mine started his gun business back when the first flood of SKSs was imported into the country, before klinton banned importation of them.  I bought 3 SKSs for $69.00 each.  He had some 4X NcStar scopes he was selling also.  I bought one and a dust-cover mount.  I didn't matter that a dust cover mount could not be made to hold still; the scope was so bad, I could see the target better with iron sights at 100 yards that with that POS NcStar 4X28.  It was JUNK.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/07/2010 at 17:08
Well, I'm undecided here. I've had a Leupold VX-I 3-9x40mm and a 2-7x33mm that I wasn't thrilled with, as well as a Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9x40. I don't know which to dislike more as both were pretty crappy. The reason I don't like the Leupolds as both failed to hold zero. The VX-I the first time it acted up was when it was about 6 months old. After each shot it looked like the sight picture was shaking and would settle down after a few seconds. I got it fixed from Leupold, and got it back. I sighted it in and left it alone and never used it for about 9-10 months. Then I got it out and it wouldn't hold zero. It would fire a few shots, then move somewhere else, then group a few shots, then move somewhere else. This time I sent it back and they fixed it again. It now works, but something I've noticed is that even when it has work if it falls over, gets bumped hard, or anything else it will knock the zero off a couple of inches. It's just never been all that great of a scope in that aspect. Then on top of that the glass isn't impressive at all to me. My Burris FFII blows it out of the water. Hell, comparing it to a 3-9x40 Tasco Bucksight that was $30 from Walmart I couldn't tell a difference in low light or daylight. Two friends checked it out and said the Tasco looked clearer to them, but I couldn't tell a difference. I compared it to an older Simmons 3-9x32 and a newer Simmons 3-9x40 Blazer in low light, and the Simmons won out both times. This scope just isn't impressive at all in the durability department or the glass department. That being said, I've looked through things with worse glass, but I've also seen a lot better glass for a lot less money.

Then I got a VX-I 2-7x33 from a friend. This quit holding zero on him. He was frustrated with it too so let me get it super cheap. I bought it got it fixed, and ended up not having anything to put it on so sold it. This one the glass was just as bad as the first VX-I I had. This one was about 8 years old when I got it and it had quit holding zero. I have no idea if it broke any before that or not, but it hadn't in the 2 years my buddy had it.

I also had a 3rd friend get one and his wouldn't hold zero right out of the box. He took it off and replaced it with a Bushnell he had thinking it may be the gun. Sure enough it started to group with the Bushnell. He sent this in, got it fixed, then traded it for a .22 rifle.

Now one thing I can say about Leupold is they have a great warranty they do honor, and sometimes I wonder if they aren't a good option just because you know if you ever have an issue that they will stand behind it.

The next was the Bushnell Sharpshooter 3-9x40. This scope was just a major POS. It never failed to hold zero on me, but it was on a .22. I did noticed that after I made adjustments, for the next few shots it would slowly move over. So you might adjust it 5" over and it would move 2" for the first shot then the next might be 4", then the next might be 5". Once sighted in, it stayed set, but it was hard to get sighted in as it wouldn't take adjustments correctly. I also noticed one click was moving it about 3/4" at 50 yards instead of the 1/8" it was supposed to. Then when it came to the glass, this thing wasn't horrible, but nothing special either. It was worse than the VX-I above, and several other scopes I've used in this price range were quite a bit better. Comparing this to a Bushnell 3200 I have, it was slightly worse glass, but the glass on the 3200 wasn't anything amazing either. This scope just was a big pos, but I don't know if I'd say it was worse than the Leupold since it didn't fully fail me and the Leupold did. On the other hand when the Leupold is working, this scope is quite a bit worse than it.

I've had a Simmons Blazer, and I didn't find it too bad. It didn't track properly, and the adjustments didn't move it 1/4" at 100 yards like they said they would, but at the same time the glass was pretty good for a cheap scope, and it always stayed zeroed once set. I ended up selling this to upgrade, but it wasn't a bad scope. I've got several friends that have Simmons Blazers, and all of them have been happy with them. I've heard bad reviews online, but going to sights like Cabela's the good reviews outweigh the bad ones by quite a lot.

I've also had an older Simmons scope that was probably 6 years old, and it's one of the better scopes I've had. It's clear, great in daylight and good in low light, it tracks properly, it's been dropped, banged around ,etc, and it's always held zero perfectly. It is made in China. It did have the ring that screws on come loose, and you could turn the part that holds the front lens in almost like an adjustable objective as it would focus it, but I tightened that ring on the scope back up and never had an issue again. This is really a great scope.
Clark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 22:37
I shot 4 deer in 2008 and 4 deer in 2009 all with a VX1 2x7.
They were all between 329 and 510 yards.
In 2008 I used it on 2X.
In 2009 I used it on 7X.

Leopold sent me that scope as a replacement for an old Vari x ii.

I would have never bought such a cheap scope, but I can't find anything wrong with it. It just works.
I have a turret on the elevation.
I carry a range finder.

I have a box with ~ 50 scopes that are no good.

The VX1 is a long way from being thrown in that box.

This last year I bought (3) IOR and one Kahles scope.

I hunted in 2010 with an old vari x iii 1.75x6 with a turret.
I got 3 deer in 2010.
One was at 380 yards.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/10/2010 at 08:27
Worst scope I have ever owned in my life was a Burris Fullfield 2.5-10x50 (I believe). It had this wierd oily gas look in low light and would not clear up until it was bright enough to see a deer out in the field with your naked eye easily.

Heck, I have an old Tasco 4x40 from back in the early 80's that I would take to the woods any day over the Burris. I gave it to my Dad and he sent it back to Burris and it came back as having no issues , so he traded off for $50. It also didn't have audible clicks or really any clicks that had much feel to them and didn't hold a zero all that well either. It was just a piece !! Kept me from ever buying another Burris product !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic