OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What is the WORST brandname scope you have owned?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What is the WORST brandname scope you have owned?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is the WORST brandname scope you have owned?
    Posted: November/04/2010 at 16:18
Of all the so called "Brand Name" scopes you have owned, which has been the worst, and why?
lets see if we cant stir some brand loyalist's up Indian Big Grin
Your rights, use them or loose them!
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 16:26
The two worst brands were Redfield (a Widefield model) and Leupold's 4x28 and Vari-X II in a 2-7. The Redfield would fog easily and the two Leupold's sucked in anything near low light shooting.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 16:27
 NONE have been unusable but some just didn't quite fit the purpose after I'd used them or had some characteristics I couldn't deal with.  I could find a scope that suits me in any of the "brand name" offerings.
  But I'm also not a picky eater.  Bucky 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 17:42
About 20 years ago, I put a Tasco 4x on my 10/22. This wasn't a soda-straw .22 scope, but a 1" scope. At the time, it cost a bit more than bargain basement junk. After about a year, the scope tube broke in half right behind the turrets. It was obviously a two-part tube, and a shoddy one at that.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 18:31
The worst I've ever owned... probably NcStar 10-40x56 and probably not for the reasons most would expect.  It DOES work just fine (except for the "Mad-eye Moody Effect")... it is an odd device.  Most people wouldn't keep it or use it.  I do just for the "self-flagellation" aspect.  It's kind of like a box of chocolates...
The glass is OK, not bad in sunlight at high power, but very subject to mirage, IR sucks, reticle takes some getting used to, but it's OK, turrets perform well... focus is outlandishly insane.  I won't go into the "Mad-Eye Moody Effect" here, but if you have seen the Harry Potter movies, you can imagine what the focus issues are like. And yet... I use it... 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 19:15
I bough a couple of Leapers scopes when I first got into shooting.  I have also had similar experiences with NcStar and BSA.  All three were and still are certifiable camel manure.

ILya
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 19:26
Chinese Simmons 3-9.  Like looking through fog.
-Matt
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 19:46
Easy one there a 7/8" bushnell made for 22's when I was a kid.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Rich Coyle View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Blind as a bat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Coyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 20:12
Absolutely without a doubt the Simons.  Can't state it strong enough.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 20:16
BSA... you can put all the bells and whistles you want to on a scope...but you simply can not polish a turd!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 20:44
Millet POS scope a neighbors kid needed a sale at a sporting goods store.  I was the suckerHead Banger 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 21:11
A Simmons 8 point that came on the Savage 110 I purchased. The Burris FFII I put on it seemed like a Swaro/Zeiss compared to that thing. The worst one I have ever used though was a Barfska 6-24 a friend had on his .243. The scope was just flat out unusable above about 12x.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 21:22
BSA and Simmons were problems. Burris rates low for me I have had issues with two of their compact  models but I have two models that i like and their high end stuff is pretty solid.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 21:58
Problems with the burris magnum,the entire eye piece used to come offSay What
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 21:59
BSA deer hunter ( obvious), and an old Telastar..   
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 05:21
Kassnar 4x many years ago or a little 3/4 " kmart 22 scope I had as a kid . You could zero either of them in take them home lay them on a feather pillow and they wold be off the paper when you used them the next time.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 05:56

Originally posted by Rich Coyle Rich Coyle wrote:

Absolutely without a doubt the Simons.  Can't state it strong enough.

+1

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 06:15
Weaver 4X. Came with the 22 from my Dad. He must have bought it early 60's. My dad shot like a demon with this. Shot geese from a bobbing boat all head and neck shots. As a kid I thought this was a marvellous scope. In adult life I looked through it and thought "Holy crap, my dad had good eyesight to see through this!!!"

Visualize looking through a Coca cola bottle and you get the picture!!!

Edited by 8shots - November/05/2010 at 06:15
TruthNtime View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TruthNtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 07:04
LOL, great posts!  I have a box of CRAP scopes that have eaten my money like a rabbid dog!
Robert.Bucky
Your rights, use them or loose them!
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 07:42
Without a doubt; it is whatever POS Simmons that Savage puts on their package guns!
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic