OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need info on a rem 700

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need info on a rem 700
    Posted: November/04/2010 at 10:50
I was in Dicks yestarday and saw a remington 700 adl at Dicks yestarday.  On the side of the receiver, it had stamped Remington 700 ADL SS.  It was matte finish, had a bull barrel and a camo stock and came with a cheap throw away scope.  It was on sale for $449 and normally sells for $599.  I can't find this rifle on the Remington website.  What does the SS stand for?  Does anyone have any experience with this rifle.  Does it have the new trigger?  What about the barrel?  Is it any good?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 10:53
stainless steel barrel i take it.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 11:04
  I'm thinking it stands for "synthetic stock".  There was a Model 700 ADL Synthetic that preceded the Model 700 SPS.  It may not have the new trigger.  Still a Remington rifle though.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 11:05
SS ----  That means you need to put a SS    --  Super Sniper scope on it -Cool
yea  SS is usually stainless steel so its a good buy at that price the reciever is probably worth that much.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 11:09
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

SS ----  That means you need to put a SS    --  Super Sniper scope on it -Cool
yea  SS is usually stainless steel so its a good buy at that price the reciever is probably worth that much.
i like the way you think
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 11:10
Depending on caliber and what I wanted it for it might be a fair price. It's not "duck on a Junebug" pricing but fair. As for the trigger it more than likely has an X-mark trigger whitch is fine. I've had 3 700s I've shot over the last 35 years or so. I have never had an AD with one. My current 700 I've done trigger work on myself so I know exactly how much seer connection there is. If it's in your budget an what you want buy it. SWFA will hook you up with a good scope for it.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 13:41
My M7 SS is stainless/synthetic
Doug
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 13:43
This is a pic of the new X-Mark Pro adjustable showing where the trigger pull weight adjustment screw is located on the trigger shoe. If the rifle you are looking at has the adjustment screw on the shoe.........it be new !!!!!

Edited by Roy Finn - November/04/2010 at 13:44
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 13:57

Good find roy!

dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 17:57
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

I have never had an AD with one. My current 700 I've done trigger work on myself so I know exactly how much seer connection there is.

Not to muddy the water on an optics thread, but I had one of the infamous Remington 700 ADs. It isn't about sear engagement, as such.

I was at the range and forgot that my rifle was on safe. I squeezed the trigger and nothing happened. No big deal. The range officer called the range closed to go check targets, so everybody had to open their actions.

I stood up, went over to the side of the bench and flipped the safety, so I could open the action and remove the live round. BANG... Ooops... Sorry... Sir, Please pack your kit and go home.

lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 21:42

Not sure what you meant by "matte" finish: could be construed as matte blue, black, or stainless. The ones I've seen at Dick's are ADLs w/camo stock and dull (matte) black finish on barrel/receiver. I, to would assume in this case it stands for synthetic stock, or "special ....?" At any rate, it usually means "stainless synthetic" in Rem. and most other brands. FWIW: I have a Rem. Varmint SPSS Cabela's special; it has a stainless action/matte stainless barrel. It's a BDL and comes in .204. .22-250 and .308 cal's. Decent shooter and only a little over 100 bucks more with rebate than that Dick's special, arguably more gun for the money, and I'd rather deal with Cabela's (although not the greatest) than Dick's.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 07:10
  Were/are any other M700's offered with blued stainless steel bbl's besides the mid 60's(?) ones?  A friend just sold one (a 64 model I believe) in 7mm RM.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 07:43
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

SS ----  That means you need to put a SS    --  Super Sniper scope on it -Cool

I like the way you think      
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2010 at 08:12
Originally posted by lewwetzel lewwetzel wrote:

Not sure what you meant by "matte" finish: could be construed as matte blue, black, or stainless. The ones I've seen at Dick's are ADLs w/camo stock and dull (matte) black finish on barrel/receiver. I, to would assume in this case it stands for synthetic stock, or "special ....?" At any rate, it usually means "stainless synthetic" in Rem. and most other brands. FWIW: I have a Rem. Varmint SPSS Cabela's special; it has a stainless action/matte stainless barrel. It's a BDL and comes in .204. .22-250 and .308 cal's. Decent shooter and only a little over 100 bucks more with rebate than that Dick's special, arguably more gun for the money, and I'd rather deal with Cabela's (although not the greatest) than Dick's.

It was a black matte finish.  After doing a little research, it looks like it is probably specially made just for Dicks.  I noticed Cabelas and Gander Mountain both have their own special remington 700 that they sell.  The Dicks version looks like a blind magazine version of the SPS Varmint with a camo stock.  I doubt it has the new xmark pro trigger but I don't know for sure.  Basically , its the 700 adl that sells for $350 at academy with a bull barrel, camo stock, and a cheap scope.
jkll View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jkll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2013 at 09:41
Have had one in .243 for two years.  I only paid $429.00 for it and it shoots sub 1" 100 yd groups with every load I've tried.(usually around 1/2") AMAZING VALUE ! It has the new non-externally adjustable Rem trigger. It is not user friendly because the trigger adjustments seem to be sealed in LocTite.  The trigger was horrible and was factory set to a little over 5 pounds. I paid a qualified gunsmith 40 bucks who had to clean out the LocTite and reassemble the trigger. It is now set to 2 3/4# and works like a dream. Even after paying to have the trigger adjusted,it is still an amazing value.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2013 at 10:29
I'm still spooked about the Remington accidental discharges.  I've read about them too often.  ( Once is enough to kill somebody. )

Also, all Remingtons are way too short for me, so I never consider them at all simply because of that.  I also prefer a controlled-round feed, except for THE EXCEPTIONS ( like ObamaCare waivers!!!   Smile ) for SAKOs and Tikkas.....    

Anybody buying and trying Savage's new cheap rifles?    
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic