OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS or variable power scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugsvamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS or variable power scope?
    Posted: November/21/2005 at 20:36
I have a new CZ-550 in 6.5x55 swedish, that I'm planning to use mostly as a paper puncher in the 100-200yd range, and a coyote shooter at something like 75-300yds. My target price range is around $300.

For these variable ranges, and target shooting, I was looking for a variable power scope in the 4-16x range. My prior experience with scopes involves an inexpensive 3-9 Tasco mounted on my .22, which is usually set around 5x for 25-50 yd target shooting. Objects at 300yds on the 9x setting don't appear large enough for me to make out details, which is why I was looking for more magnification.

I had almost decided on the sightron-II 4-16x42, but after rereading the board comments, I'm wondering if a SS 10x42 would be a better choice - do I really want/need variable power for my application, or should I go with the better SS optics?
(Other options I was considering were Grand Slam 4.5-15x40, Elite 4200 4-16x40)

I want a scope now, so waiting for the variable power SS is not an option.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2005 at 20:48

A fixed 10X is really a specialized scope.  A variable power scopes gives you more options.  A 3-9 is sufficient as long as you have quality optics.  In your price range you can achieve significant improvement over that old Tasco.

ranburr 

flugsvamp View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flugsvamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2005 at 12:49
Thanks. Is there any reason to prefer one of the following over the other, or should I just throw a dart and pick one, given that these are all priced about the same?
- Sightron SII4-16x42
- Bushnell Elite 4200, 4-16x40
- Weaver Grand Slam 4.5-14x40
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2005 at 16:00

The Bushnell 4200 is far better than the other two.

ranburr

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic