OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Question about my AR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about my AR
    Posted: November/03/2010 at 19:52
Picked my first ar up today, got a deal on someone needing cash. It's a rock river 5.56. I tried this acog I got and the front sight is kind of in the way. It doesn't look like it detaches easily, how do I get it off?
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 20:19
PM sent
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 20:22
time for a new gas blockBig Grin
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 20:39
Yes bout how? Looks fairly complicated
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 20:47
very easy.  you tube instal instructions
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 21:44
On it, thanks
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 08:00
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

PM sent
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 18:06
Originally posted by trjones87 trjones87 wrote:

Picked my first ar up today, got a deal on someone needing cash. It's a rock river 5.56. I tried this acog I got and the front sight is kind of in the way. It doesn't look like it detaches easily, how do I get it off?

1.  The front sight isn't actually "in the way". Tactical optics are designed to "co-witness" with your iron sights. Look at photos of US Marines. They use their ACOGs with the front sight in place.

2.  If you take the front sight off, be prepared for a fight. They're pinned on for keeps, since coming loose means that it wipes out your gas system. I broke 3 pin punches trying to get one off my Rock River. I've never seen an easy job like they show in the videos. I suppose they don't want to show a gunsmith getting all Neanderthal with a hammer.

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 18:48
Originally posted by dhdoyle dhdoyle wrote:

Originally posted by trjones87 trjones87 wrote:

1.  The front sight isn't actually "in the way". Tactical optics are designed to "co-witness" with your iron sights. Look at photos of US Marines. They use their ACOGs with the front sight in place.

2.  If you take the front sight off, be prepared for a fight. They're pinned on for keeps, since coming loose means that it wipes out your gas system. I broke 3 pin punches trying to get one off my Rock River. I've never seen an easy job like they show in the videos. I suppose they don't want to show a gunsmith getting all Neanderthal with a hammer.

Actually it is in the way.  Co witness will only work with a red dot type optics like an aimpoint or a eotech.  Any type of regular scope even if it has a 1x bottom end is not capable of co-witnessing.  So  front sight up in front of it is in fact in the way. 

With a scope over 3x it blurrs enough that you can see past the front sight but it does infact affect the image and puts a dark black transparent image in the center of your sight picture. 

I am sure the military just deals with it because they do not want to have to redo and add the expense of putting fold down sights on all the guns that use them.  Especially when some of the same guns may run with Aimpoint or ACOG. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2010 at 19:55
sight pins are tapered, make sure you are drifting them from the correct direction.  Use a diamond saw and cut it off, then go back and clean it, with files, etc. then blue it.
Things the military and le does, isn't what civilians do. Co-witness reduces your field of view by as much as 25%. , and only tells you something you already know.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic