OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Searching for Scope for SCAR 17 = QUESTIONS = NEED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Searching for Scope for SCAR 17 = QUESTIONS = NEED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Searching for Scope for SCAR 17 = QUESTIONS = NEED
    Posted: November/02/2010 at 16:10
I need some help !
You people have proven much more knowlagable than me !
With the SCAR 17s I intend to use - MOSTLY - 150 grain military surplus or Private Partizan ammunition.  With that in mind I know I wont be getting target grade accuracy, for that I would have to go to 168 Grain Match ammunition.
That said, I would like to have:
1.  Illumuation
2.  Bullet drop compenstor
3.  Some type of rangefinding
What I have been looking at = Burris XTR 1.5 to 6,  Burris eliminator 4x - 12x - 42, Leopold, Elcan 1x-6x, ACOG 5.5 or lower.
Anyone have advice or experience ?   I could sure use it !!!
Tom
gun collector, sword,knife collector, cigar smoker
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 16:13
Whats your price range and intended purpose?  Plinking?
tombirdman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 11:10
My purpose is = ANYTHING, INCLUDING PLINKING !
Price Range    = ANYTHING
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 11:13
The ACOG would be nice.  Especially with the ammo your gonna be running and what kinda of accuracy you expect, or dont' expect.  Another option would be a trijicon accupoint in 1-4 with a post reticle, you could still use the tip of the triangle for precision work if you ever wanted and the triangle would be a good fast target aiming point.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 14:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The ACOG would be nice.  Especially with the ammo your gonna be running and what kinda of accuracy you expect, or dont' expect.  Another option would be a trijicon accupoint in 1-4 with a post reticle, you could still use the tip of the triangle for precision work if you ever wanted and the triangle would be a good fast target aiming point.
ExcellentExcellentExcellent

THANKS !

You are right of course.

I have gotten some pretty decent groups with the military surplus but, of course n ot 1/2 moa.
I can get 1 moa with my DSA SA58 FAL and a 10x mil dot Hensoldt scope.  Couldn't believe it because FALs are not know for being overly accurate.

So, don't get me wrong, I know SCAR 17s can get 1/2 moa.  I just want a scope equl to that if I do get some Match ammo.  Don't want to close the door, just in case I decide to pop for some expensive ammunition.

YippeeYippeeYippee

Tom

lightwind View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lightwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 03:58
Tombirdman:  I was out again with my SCAR-17s today.   I have been listening to what everyone on the forum seems to be saying about wanting low magnification for the "battle rifle."   I certainly agree with that if I were going to be in a battle in the near term - but I don't see many battles these days.   The SCAR is about $3000 and shoots better than I do.   My trigger needs a lot of help and that is on the way.   However, I am 65 years old, my eyes are not what they used to be and without some realistic magnification I can barely see anything at 600 yards at 10 power, let alone hit it accurately.   Yes, 10 power makes it 10 times closer - but that still puts it 60 yards away with wind bouncing things around.

So, here I am with a rifle that can give me 1 moa groups all day with a rotten trigger.   And I hear folks saying - well, just use a 1 - 4 on it and it will be able to hit an oil can at 500 yards.  I don't want to hit the oil can.  I have a rifle that is capable of knocking the bung out of a beer keg at that distance - why would I spend the money to buy it if I was not going to shoot it as capably as possible?

Sure, someone was shooting 600 yards with their AR, but that is just about as far as the .223 can go usefully.   The .308 has a lot more yardage left in it (even out of the 16.5" barrel).  

So, my take is that I am using a number of scopes with a wide range on them to see what works.   I have an Aimpoint with a 3 X magnifier.   I have a Leupold Mark 4 4.5 - 14 X 50, and a Vortex Viper PST 6 - 24 X 50.    All I have been doing is punching paper and not stopping raving troops coming over the berm - but the higher magnification lets me work to the limits of the trigger.   The Aimpoint lets me get fast shots off with respectable accuracy (with or without the 3X).    The Leupold was very good and let me look at the magnifications that many seem to see as the upper limits for a "battle rifle."   I can tell you that when I get out past 200 yards I appreciate the extra power.  The scope that is going to stay on the "battle rifle" is the Vortex Viper PST (with all the extra magnification that I don't need).    I've been shooting the rifle.  I have swapped out scopes and tried it for days with each one.   I see the reasoning for having field of view for a battle rifle - but I am not going to be shooting attacking zombies - and if I am, I want to hit them in the head every time.

My 2 cents worth.  You know you get what you pay for with me.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 11:31
Guys this .308 is capable of much longer distances and much greater accuracy so I think the optic needs to reflect its capabilities.  While you need something capable of having a low magnification I am quite convinced that a 1.8 on the low end will get you onto anything up close quite fast and having a top end of 10 x seems quite adequate for a .308 even at a thousand yards and the objective size will not be too bulky but will still have enough size to use in low light. This is what I would want if it was mine.
US Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope US Optics 1.8-10x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3I
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#3 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Upgrade Parallax Control
$2,274.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - June/29/2011 at 11:45

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 12:35
Originally posted by tombirdman tombirdman wrote:

I need some help !
You people have proven much more knowlagable than me !
With the SCAR 17s I intend to use - MOSTLY - 150 grain military surplus or Private Partizan ammunition.  With that in mind I know I wont be getting target grade accuracy, for that I would have to go to 168 Grain Match ammunition.
That said, I would like to have:
1.  Illumuation
2.  Bullet drop compenstor
3.  Some type of rangefinding
What I have been looking at = Burris XTR 1.5 to 6,  Burris eliminator 4x - 12x - 42, Leopold, Elcan 1x-6x, ACOG 5.5 or lower.
Anyone have advice or experience ?   I could sure use it !!!
Tom

In the fall, Premier is going to come out with their V8 1.1-8x24 riflescope.  I think it will be a perfect fit for what you are trying to do here.

At some point, S&B will also have their 1-8x24 available as well.  I know a couple of people got early samples of those already.

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tombirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2011 at 12:53
Big Smile
I am 67.  Have diabetes which shifts my focus now and then.  Wear tri focals = hate them!  I have purchased glasses for computer &cq TV viewing and another pair for distance.  For reading up close I don't wear glasses.  In short, my eye sight doesn't give me much to work with.
The trigger pull on my SCARS don't bother me at all.  I have shot so many military match rifles, "M1A Supermatch," especially that have worse triggers.  Best semi match trigger I've got is on Draganov NDM86 Norinco and HK SL8 - 1.
Anyway;  to the scope subject :  Excellent

Since my first writing on this subject, I ponied up some big BUCKS and bought an ELCAN 1.5 to 6x scope.  It is the nest step in US military scopes.  Has red dot, which I use mostly on 1.5x but sometimes in 6x.  The full cross hairs can be lit up with various brightnesses, same as the red dot. Draganov type rangefinder that I am use to.  I also do well with ACOGS rangefinding methods.
 Excellent glass.

{ I am well satisdfied with my choice ! }    Loco

Probably should have gone for a higher power scope.  I think Vortexs, Night forces and so many others are just excellent.
It just came down to my personal interests and choice.
This is deffinitely a subject, well worth researching, before purchase.  If your going to spend big bucks, you want to get it right - for you - the first time.

I have several 4x cross hair ACOGs.  A 5.5x ACOG for my FAL.  Three EO TECHS with a 3x & 5X magnifiers with EO TECH flip to side mounts.  A C-More red dot 2moa dot for my FN FS2000.  An Elcan 1.5 to 6x for my FN SCAR 17s.  Only scope I have is a mil dot, fixed 10x Hensoldt that is out for repair - turret problem.  Will put on my M1A supermatch.  The mount for M1As has proven to be a real pain in the butt for me.

Anyway,  that , kind of gives you an idea of who and what I am.

Use to do alot of prarie dogging and paper punching but - not so much now.  If I was dogging I would deffinitely have the best high power scope I could afford.
Those days are gone and I miss them.  Oh Well.

Enough rambling.  Thanks for reading!  See you around.

Tom

CageFighter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CageFighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/30/2011 at 18:54
and if you decide to part with the Elcan, please send me a PM. I'd be glad to take it off ur hands.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic