OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I need some education

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I need some education
    Posted: November/02/2010 at 14:44
Going to be in the market soon and been shopping around but I don't know anything about the stuff I see. How does bdc work between different cailbers? I like the ones with the Tierra but can you get them customer don't for your caliber and bullet grain? What magnification should I be getting to eventually shoot 400-500 yards, had a guy say 6 but that just seems too small.
They don't call us Nunez for nothin ;)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 15:50
BDC doesnt' mean it works for you gun.  The only way to know what points of inpact you will have using a BDC reticle is to acutally use your set up with your ammo at different ranges and see.  For example it may say the first hash mark is for 200yds but for your setup it could be dead on for 225yds or 175yds.  Using something like a BDC you need to stick with one ammo and practice using it until you have enough range data to know what it will do in the field.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 16:02
As far as magnification, a good all around simple system would be a fixed 10x,say something like a SWFA SS scope.These don't have BDC but do have mil dots.

Like svt said,you must get plenty of range time.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
trjones87 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trjones87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 17:42
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

BDC doesnt' mean it works for you gun.  The only way to know what points of inpact you will have using a BDC reticle is to acutally use your set up with your ammo at different ranges and see.  For example it may say the first hash mark is for 200yds but for your setup it could be dead on for 225yds or 175yds.  Using something like a BDC you need to stick with one ammo and practice using it until you have enough range data to know what it will do in the field.

Didn't think of that, that helps alot
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 17:57
A BDC reticle may have a calculator to help you get close too. Zeiss has the Rapid-Z calculator on thier site that you can input your load, and it will tell you what magnification to set the scope on, and where the marks should be accurate at. You will need to field test this to confirm of course. Also if you know the subtensions of your reticle, you can use EXBAL to do the same thing.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic