OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SS 3-9x42 or Elite 3-12x44 FFP

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SS 3-9x42 or Elite 3-12x44 FFP
    Posted: November/01/2010 at 21:34
 SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope: $599 + ~$15 shipping
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx

Bushnell 3-12x44mm Matte Illuminated MilDot:
$695 Free Shipping
http://www.competitor.net/bushnell-3-12x44mm-matte-illuminated-mildot-reticle-riflescope-423124f.html

Looking at these for an Remington XCR Compact Tactical .308 that will be used for mostly hunting, but would like to play at the longer .308 ranges.  There are no plans for any competitions or anything like that, but you never know. 

Most of the hunting ranges are within 200 yds (actually shoot most whitetail within 50 yds), but will possible use this to hunt some elk, caribou, etc. at longer ranges. 

I like the reviews on the ss 3-9x42 but I am not sure that 9x is quite enough for the longer distances. I know the .308 is pretty good out to 700yds with 168gr, and can go to 1000 with some 175gr bullets so I would like to have a scope capable of those distances.

For only about $70 bones more I can get parallax adj., Iluminated Reticle (thinking coyotes) and 3x more magnification on the Bushnell.

The reviews on the SS are amazing (they are loved) but the few reviews on the bushnell are quite good also. I am leaning towards the bushnell because of the options, and from what I have read the optics should be similar.

What about durability?  This will be a gun that is used and will get bumped, dropped, rained on, snow, cold to hot temp swings, etc.  Haven't heard much about the Bushnell's durability.

So for the questions.  Is the bushnell the better deal for only $70 more, or should I go with the SS.

Thanks,

Levi Arthur

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 02:52
I own the SS and do not own the Bushnell.  There is a reason for that.

Do not get me wrong. Elite 4200 is a good scope, but I think the variable S.S. is a better optimized design.

The extra magnification is not nearly as much of a deal as people make it out to be.  However, wider field of view of the S.S. across the board makes a difference in low light and where quick target acquisition is involved.  Even aside from the field of view, glass is a bit better on the S.S. as is the depth of field.

ILya
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:20

Please read our rules (actually you were required to before signing up), so I should say, please abide by our rules.

We have a 110% Low Price Guarantee so there is no need to promote another retailer.  Should you choose to go with the Bushnell you can get it for less money from us.

Also, we are an authorized Bushnell dealer and the place you linked to is not.  Do your research.
ArthurRacing65 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:41
I did my research.  That is why I found it there for cheaper. Also, I had planned to use your price match guarantee if I decided to buy it.  I read the rules but when I went back after I posted I could not remove it because... "you can only edit your own posts and only if the forum administrator has created the relevant rights for you to do so."  I was not able to determine if the forum admin had given me those rights so I didn't change it.

The price of the two scopes was critical to the decision on which to pick and that is why I posted it.

Sorry for the mistake.

Levi
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:56

Get the SS and don't look back. You won't find a better product, hassle free customer service and warranty.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:07
Excellent+1
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:13
What type of bases and rings for the SS ? I think I am going to get the one on samplelist.

Gun is Rem 700 XCR compact tactical Stainless receiver.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:17
TPS makes great bases and rings.  However SWFA also has new rings availible too.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:18
This compairison has been made several times on several forums and the SS always wins.  Cool

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:19

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:19
I've used the Bushnell, have friends who have them.  It is a pretty good scope for the price.  
The SS 3-9 is a superior scope for the price, is much sturdier than the Bushnell and has a much larger adjustment range (about double)... which should be important to you if you want to "shoot at the longer .308 ranges".  Even with 175gr bullets, 1000 yards is a LONG stretch for a .308 for big game animals... not a good thing to try.  Why would you want to shoot an elk at that range with a .308?  Not specifically stated in your post, but implied.  400 yards is close to max you should attempt one of those big animals with .308.  If you really want to take game at long range, use the .308 to practice with, get good with it, then move up to .338 Lapua or Edge or something bigger.  
.308 is NOT a good extreme range hunting round.  For elk, you would want to be "carrying" no less than about 1100 ft/lb energy, which would put you in right around the 600 yard range, MAX.  Realistically, 1200 ft/lb is the recommended MIN, which puts you around 565 yards.  3-9 is way more than enough for any hunting range you should be attempting with .308.  
I've never actually NEEDED an illuminated reticle.  Although, I admit it would be a nice to have on the SS 3-9, it is not necessary.  Guess it depends on how good your eyes are.  IR's are "extras", if done well.  If not, they are are real pain.  What good is an IR if it is so bright it over powers the sight and is in effect a hindrance???  Unless they are pretty expensive, IR's are generally not very well constructed.  The Bushnell I've found inconsistent.  Some are better than others.  I've used IR more in bright light than in low light and more because I just wanted to than because it was needed in any way.  Don't get me wrong, I like a good IR, will use it if it is useable, but have never had a situation where IR made the difference in the shot.  Sometimes a little easier, never "the difference".  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:19
This is what I would get. 
Base.  http://swfa.com/TPS-XP-Tactical-1-Piece-Base-P42039.aspx

Rings  http://swfa.com/TPS-Tactical-Scope-30mm-Rings-P41992.aspx

These are aluminum, but they have alloy steel as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:20
TPS, Seekins or Badger.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:35
Just ordered the scope (ss 3-9x42 on samplelist).

@supertool73 will the extra low rings work?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 12:39
Yes they should work fine.  Verify with SWFA.  I have those super lows on a 50mm objective with a heavy barrel and still have quit a bit of room between barrel and butler creek cap.

TPS super lows are pretty much the same as Badger and Seekins low.  TPS low is taller than most lows.  It is nice that way because they give you more options to get the perfect fit.

Edited by supertool73 - November/02/2010 at 12:42
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 13:24

How do the SWFA SS bases and rings compare to tps, badger, or seekins.  Couldn't find much by searching.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArthurRacing65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 13:26
oops, noticed that swfa SS doesn't have bases. would you mix and match the tps with the swfa
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 13:27
They are decent stuff, and would probably do you just fine.  They are cast though, not machined.   I have a couple sets and they work just fine.  But are not equal in terms of precision machining to TPS, Seekins, or Badger. 

Quality mounting hardware is as important as your rifle and scope when it comes to precision. 

Edited by supertool73 - November/02/2010 at 13:32

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 13:30
If you really want to save money but get decent quality stuff, go with the SWFA rings and the EGW base.  Those are the best bang for you buck. 

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Tac-30mm-1-Rings-P47905.aspx

http://swfa.com/EGW-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P46177.aspx

Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 13:38

I guess me recommending them was not good enough...Yippee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic