OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper 3.5-10x5 or Big SkyII 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper 3.5-10x5 or Big SkyII 3-9x42
    Posted: November/01/2010 at 20:25
I am looking for one of these scopes or a better one for the $$ (if there are any) to mount on my new T&C Icon 30TC rifle.  Uses will be for hunting 50-250 yds and punching holes in paper.  I don't have a ton of money to spend so I need a best bang for my buck scope.  Thanks for all the help!  Also, what are you guys using for rings??? I've heard good things about the Burris Signature rings with the inserts? Any thoughts or suggestions?
Confucius Says - Man who Stand on Toilet is High on Pot.
He also said : Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 07:16
I like the Sightron Big Sky 3-9 X 42 myself. As far as rings, I usually go with the Talley's when I can.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 07:18
The BSII was prefered over the Viper in another thread here recently.  I'd say from the majority of votes it would be a better scope.  As far as rings, the Talley Lightweight Aluminums work great. 
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 07:48
I really don't think you can go wrong with either, both are very nice scopes for the money.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 07:52
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 08:49
I also have a TC ICON in .30 TC.  I don't think there are many of us!  I have a 3.5-10x50 on mine.  I took a nice Missouri buck with it last year at 325 yds (that's far for me!).  The funny thing about it is that you only have 2 choices of factory ammo - Hornady 150 GR SST and Hornady 165 GR SST.  It makes it an easy decision - it's either Hornady or Hornady.  Fortunately, Hornady has kept the price down on .30 TC ammo - at least for now.  You can get it for about $25.  My ICON isn't the prettiest rifle I have, but it's definitely the smoothest and most accurate.  I'm actually thinking about getting another one in a different caliber since TC is offering a $150 rebate on ICONs right now. 

Anyways, I've spent quite a bit of time recently looking for "best bang for the buck" scopes in the $200 - $350 price range to upgrade some rifles.  I think the best deals out there right now are -

- Vortex Viper (great closeout deal on various models)
- Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 ($75 rebate and a great price of $319 at SWFA). 
- Nitrex TR Two 2-10x42 or 3-15x42 (this is the same scope as the Weaver Super Slam.  You can find a screaming deal on these plus Nitrex is currently offering a $100 rebate). 

I currently have a SII BS 3-9x42 on order for a 257 Wby, so I can't comment on it yet.  I just received a Nitrex TR Two 2-10x42.  I like it a lot.  Very clear glass, EBX etched reticle, unique and functional turret design.  It's a little on the heavy side, but for my purposes that's fine.  I have the Viper 4-12x40 and I also like it.  This probably sounds silly, but my favorite thing about the Viper is the power ring design.  I love it.  I wish all of my scopes had the Viper power ring design.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those scopes.  They all appear to be great values in your price range.

I recently bought my first two pairs of Burris Signature Zee rings.  The concept behind them makes a lot of sense to me.  They do require a little more work at the range to get them optimally installed.  However, If I can do it then I'm sure you can.  I bought the offset insert kit to go with the rings and I'm glad I did because I used a number of the offset inserts.  By using the offset inserts I was able to get both scopes within 2 inches of center before making windage and elevation adjustments to finish the job.  By the way, I checked with Burris and they recommend 20 in-lbs of torque on the ring screws and 30 in-lbs of torque on the cross bolt.  You would think they would document that in the instructions for the kit, but I've found that most ring suppliers would rather keep you guessing.

Good luck!
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 10:40
Re rings: I like the Burris Signature, and hear good things about the Talley's. But my favorites are the Warne Maxima QDs. You can take off your scope in about 5 seconds, to travel, clean, change scopes, or go to iron. You don't lose zero when you remount.
Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 11:57
Originally posted by Vermin93 Vermin93 wrote:

I also have a TC ICON in .30 TC.  I don't think there are many of us!  I have a 3.5-10x50 on mine.  I took a nice Missouri buck with it last year at 325 yds (that's far for me!).  The funny thing about it is that you only have 2 choices of factory ammo - Hornady 150 GR SST and Hornady 165 GR SST.  It makes it an easy decision - it's either Hornady or Hornady.  Fortunately, Hornady has kept the price down on .30 TC ammo - at least for now.  You can get it for about $25.  My ICON isn't the prettiest rifle I have, but it's definitely the smoothest and most accurate.  I'm actually thinking about getting another one in a different caliber since TC is offering a $150 rebate on ICONs right now. 

Anyways, I've spent quite a bit of time recently looking for "best bang for the buck" scopes in the $200 - $350 price range to upgrade some rifles.  I think the best deals out there right now are -

- Vortex Viper (great closeout deal on various models)
- Sightron SII Big Sky 3-9x42 ($75 rebate and a great price of $319 at SWFA). 
- Nitrex TR Two 2-10x42 or 3-15x42 (this is the same scope as the Weaver Super Slam.  You can find a screaming deal on these plus Nitrex is currently offering a $100 rebate). 

I currently have a SII BS 3-9x42 on order for a 257 Wby, so I can't comment on it yet.  I just received a Nitrex TR Two 2-10x42.  I like it a lot.  Very clear glass, EBX etched reticle, unique and functional turret design.  It's a little on the heavy side, but for my purposes that's fine.  I have the Viper 4-12x40 and I also like it.  This probably sounds silly, but my favorite thing about the Viper is the power ring design.  I love it.  I wish all of my scopes had the Viper power ring design.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those scopes.  They all appear to be great values in your price range.

I recently bought my first two pairs of Burris Signature Zee rings.  The concept behind them makes a lot of sense to me.  They do require a little more work at the range to get them optimally installed.  However, If I can do it then I'm sure you can.  I bought the offset insert kit to go with the rings and I'm glad I did because I used a number of the offset inserts.  By using the offset inserts I was able to get both scopes within 2 inches of center before making windage and elevation adjustments to finish the job.  By the way, I checked with Burris and they recommend 20 in-lbs of torque on the ring screws and 30 in-lbs of torque on the cross bolt.  You would think they would document that in the instructions for the kit, but I've found that most ring suppliers would rather keep you guessing.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great write up!  I could pass up the deal on the ICON either.  My gun shop has them on sale for $599 then you get the rebate, so $449 for a $860 gun is a heck of a deal if you ask me.  I am actually considering buying a couple different calbiers, just because of course, but the wife may kill me!! Big Smile  I was considering the Nitrex scope as well, now I am really confused... Which one of the three???  Hmmmmm.
Vermin93 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vermin93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/02/2010 at 22:32
$599 for an ICON?  That's a steal with the rebate.  What gun shop is this?  
Gymrat500 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gymrat500 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2010 at 03:46
Originally posted by Vermin93 Vermin93 wrote:

$599 for an ICON?  That's a steal with the rebate.  What gun shop is this?  
Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA.  They only  have certain calibers available at this price. You can check their flyer out online @ www.gricegunshop.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic